10 week old puppy with a cold

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
it's been 2 weeks and his cold is not getting better. first the vet gave him medicine to loosen up the phlegm/mucus to let it all go out, that went on for a week (we went back to the vet 3 days after and told her it's not working but she said to give it the whole week so we did) and now he's on antibiotic for 6 days and it still doesn't help. we're going to a new vet on monday. his 2nd round of vaccine is put on hold till his cold is cleared up :nope:. i'm very worried and frustrated. he doesn't seem to mind having a runny nose and occasional cough (he only coughs to clear his throat of phlegm/mucus). he's still playful and eats and drinks alot. but i noticed his gnawing and licking his dew claws<-- a sign of discomfort or allergy or both?

i've been squirting his mouth with lemon juice, started mixing his food with joghurt, his water is now mixed with apple cider, gave him a little honey. anything else i should and could be doing?

thank you very much for any input and information.

_MG_5197.jpg_MG_5218.jpg_MG_5221.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Does he have an upper respiratory infection of kennel cough?
That's what I was thinking. Yes the licking of the paws is usually allergies/itching. Now is honey ok to give puppies? I now babies under 1 can't have it, I have no idea if puppies r the same?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you tried putting him in the bathroom with some steam for about 10 minutes? It really helps.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor you and poor baby Bifi, (love his name. ), I hope he feels Better soon. Are they sure it's a cold, and not allergies? You could try giving him a Benedryl, and see how he does, or if it improves his symptoms. I can't remember the dose for a puppy, mine are 45 lbs and are 16 months old, and they get a whole pill, but ask your vet how much your little guy should have. It usually goes by weight. I know a few members on here know the dose, but I can't remember who they were. Maybe someone on here can help you with the dose. Good luck, and hope he feels better soon. Sending love, hugs, and prayers.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Have you tried putting him in the bathroom with some steam for about 10 minutes? It really helps.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

brie had pneumonia at 8 weeks n this helped. I held her n w the steam and patted her firmly on the back but to the side to help loosen any gunk). Have they done any X-rays to make sure it isn't any kind of upper respiratory infection or bacterial stuff in her trachea etc? Of course allergies is always a possibility..especially w all the stuff blooming now... Hopefully the new vet will have more answers n suggested treatment. Please let us know!

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Now is honey ok to give puppies? I now babies under 1 can't have it, I have no idea if puppies r the same?
oh good thing it's just a little! didn't know it's not good for puppies. thanks for the heads up :)

no it's not kennel cough, at least i don't think so. none of the other dogs, namely his mom, aunt and sister, has cough and runny nose. well it's like this...i put ice pack under his blanket (despite the airconditioning) drving home from Holland to Germany because i was afraid of him having heat stroke and also because i want the ride home to be comfortable for him. i knoowwwww i knoowwwwww:cry::wallbang::hissycry: i'm an idiot! i basically chilled him for 5 hours!!! :hissycry::bang:

@desertskybulldogs thank you i will try the steam bath :)
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] thank you for the side-tapping tip, i will ask to have him x-rayed on monday at the new vet.

@Vikinggirl thank you love his name too! lol

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has given great advice.... hugs and prayers to Bifi... hope he feels better soon. Please keep us posted

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
it's been 2 weeks and his cold is not getting better. first the vet gave him medicine to loosen up the phlegm/mucus to let it all go out, that went on for a week (we went back to the vet 3 days after and told her it's not working but she said to give it the whole week so we did) and now he's on antibiotic for 6 days and it still doesn't help. we're going to a new vet on monday. his 2nd round of vaccine is put on hold till his cold is cleared up :nope:. i'm very worried and frustrated. he doesn't seem to mind having a runny nose and occasional cough (he only coughs to clear his throat of phlegm/mucus). he's still playful and eats and drinks alot. but i noticed his gnawing and licking his dew claws<-- a sign of discomfort or allergy or both?

i've been squirting his mouth with lemon juice, started mixing his food with joghurt, his water is now mixed with apple cider, gave him a little honey. anything else i should and could be doing?

thank you very much for any input and information.

View attachment 48265View attachment 48266View attachment 48267

he's so beautiful I'm in love with him, wow, really handsome male, I can see he doesn't feel well, poor little guy

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Yes love his name but what a handsum boy. What a looker! Get well soon Bifi!

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
First i would like to thank everyone for the good advice and all the well wishes! Thank you very much for the heart warming wishes and best advices!!!

We have just been to the new vet and she said most of his problems (gnawing the paw and fast respiration) are due to him being overweight! :D at 10 weeks he weighs 20.11 lbs. (9,4 kl), his front paws are splayed and the she noticed his front legs are having a hard time carrying his weight. sooo we need to take a couple of pounds off him :nope:. no respiratory infection but he has phlegm in both his lungs and for that he got antibiotics for a week. he'll be dewormed later tonight too. She said aside from being overweight and phlegm problem he's perfect. we hope he's gonna be cured this week so he could get his vaccines soon. we already ordered his new food, Acana Grasslands Dog and hope that would also help him from biting his paws (at the moment his on Royal Canine--breeder's food). i don't wanna put him on a diet this early on (he's just a baby) but looks like we have to.

again, thank you very much everyone!!!

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wonderful news and I too, think Bifi is such a 'lil stud muffin. :heart: