Does Benadryl make your bullie sleepy or drowsy?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi everyone, I have searched the site prior to posting this but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I know the dosage, but I was wondering if Benadryl will make the dogs sleepy (as it does in some humans)?
The reason I ask is that I kind of hope it does!!! We back onto fairgrounds, and while it is awesome most of the time, not so much when there is a fair or holiday festival. This weekend is a big event (a rodeo) and it is LOUD and BUSY and lots of ANIMALS and drunk PEOPLE.... as you can imagine it isn't the best. We were unprepared and have nowhere to go this weekend with the dogs....

I was *hoping* that perhaps Benadryl could help calm them a little without getting into tranquilizing them LOL! We keep them inside as much as possible but they can get into quite a frenzy...

Thanks! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, it will Nitschke use to pass out and sleep hard.... Banks it only effects her a little.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes Mickey would zonk out on Benadryl. Alot of people give it to their bully's on the 4th of July to calm their nerves.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would think it would affect them like us, some it will make sleepy and so it won't. I have never really noticed a difference the few times I have given one of ours it, but we rarely have to give it to them.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thank you so much everyone! I will let you know how it goes... I am really hoping this makes him sleepy!!!!

SO loving this forum!!! xo!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Be careful with Benadryl! It can have what is called an idiosyncratic affect on dogs (and children). This means that the effect will be different from what is expected. I have a friend who gave her dog Benadryl, which made him totally nuts! He was jittery and shaky for hours. I have used a great product in the past called Rescue Remedy (no alcohol in the pet preparation). You put the drops in their food and water. It mellows them out.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Be careful with Benadryl! It can have what is called an idiosyncratic affect on dogs (and children). This means that the effect will be different from what is expected. I have a friend who gave her dog Benadryl, which made him totally nuts! He was jittery and shaky for hours. I have used a great product in the past called Rescue Remedy (no alcohol in the pet preparation). You put the drops in their food and water. It mellows them out.

Excellent suggestion [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] I have heard that's great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have given both Bella & Winston Benadryl, and it made them both sleepy... but they are kinda sleepy regularly... LOL

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

where can you find it?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I only WISH benedryl made Orion sleepy. We are giving her the max allowed to help with her grass allergy and it doesn't zonk her out at all. I switch between benedryl and Chlorphenaramine. Neither affect her craziness. She is crazy on it or off it.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] Check with health food stores. I have seen it in high-end pet stores too. Just be sure you get the product for pets. There is also a Rescue Remedy for humans.

I have a friend who shows Chinese crested dogs. Because her little Einstein was hyper in the ring, she decided to try 1/2 of a low-dose Benadryl before she showed him one morning. I don't think his little feet touched the ground that day. On his down and back, he leaped about 4 feet straight up in the air. :D He then leaped all the way back to the judge. This is a very professional handler. She was so embarrassed as everyone exploded with laughter, including the judge. She looked over at me (I was her assistant at the time), shook her head and laughed, and asked me to come get him as she got ready to show another dog. About 3 hours later, after little Einstein was safe in his jammies in his crate, I looked in on him and found him wide awake and wild eyed--a little twitchy--but ready to take on the world! :ROFL2:

When I teach about how medication affects people differently, I ALWAYS use little Einstein as an example. I could give Benadryl to my dogs and get the desired effect of drowsiness or when I needed an antihistamine (like after the copperhead bite), but like some kids, little Einstein reacted differently.

Last edited:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
@Lisabear123 Check with health food stores. I have seen it in high-end pet stores too. Just be sure you get the product for pets. There is also a Rescue Remedy for humans.

I have a friend who shows Chinese crested dogs. Because her little Einstein was hyper in the ring, she decided to try 1/2 of a low-dose Benadryl before she showed him one morning. I don't think his little feet touched the ground that day. On his down and back, he leaped about 4 feet straight up in the air. :D He then leaped all the way back to the judge. This is a very professional handler. She was so embarrassed as everyone exploded with laughter, including the judge. She looked over at me (I was her assistant at the time), shook her head and laughed, and asked me to come get him as she got ready to show another dog. About 3 hours later, after little Einstein was safe in his jammies in his crate, I looked in on him and found him wide awake and wild eyed--a little twitchy--but ready to take on the world! :ROFL2:

When I teach about how medication affects people differently, I ALWAYS use little Einstein as an example. I could give Benadryl to my dogs and get the desired effect of drowsiness or when I needed an antihistamine (like after the copperhead bite), but like some kids, little Einstein reacted differently.

lol little Einstein sounds like a handful! Thank you for the info and the wonderful story! :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online