Pepto Bismol Calpet question

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue has Diarrhea from the antibiotic he's on (Antirobe). He won't drink the liquid Pepto, so I bought the caplets this morning. Each caplet is 262mg. Is it ok to give him 1 caplet every 12 hours or so? He's 55 pounds.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never used Pepto... but I have used Immodium AD ... tablet which I think is 1mg. don't forget... the pure canned pumpkin will help too

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Blue has Diarrhea from the antibiotic he's on (Antirobe). He won't drink the liquid Pepto, so I bought the caplets this morning. Each caplet is 262mg. Is it ok to give him 1 caplet every 12 hours or so? He's 55 pounds.

How much does Blueberry weigh?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So it says that the caplets are 25 mg.s each but yours are 262 mg. ?

Where do you see that? I'm looking at the box right now and the only place I see the mg is where it says "active ingredient .. 262mg" help..
and if it is only 25mg (which would make a hell of a lot more sense), would I give him 2?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
When using the canned pumpkin, is there a particular brand? Is it just the stuff you can buy in a grocery store? (I know jot the pie filling stuff).

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
it says half a caplet for every forty pounds at 25 mgs. Give him a half a caplet.

@Bluberrys Mom did you call the vet and tell them he has the runs?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[h=2]When to Give Your Dog Pepto Bismol[/h]Pepto Bismol is useful for treating stomach upsets. There are many things that could give your dog diarrhea. While it could be an indication of a serious health problem, it is likely to be something to do with the dog's diet. Pepto Bismol works to soothe the stomach and the intestinal lining and it can help relieve diarrhoea when the problem is caused by something your dog has eaten.
Pepto Bismol comes in different strengths so it is important to choose the right one. Normally, regular strength Pepto Bismol is the safest type to use. The dosage of the medication will be determined by the size of your dog.
Generally, the advised dosage is 0.5-1ml of Pepto Bismol per pound of weight. It should be administered every 6-8 hours. If you're using the tablets, that is equal to ¼ tablet per 20 pounds of weight every 6-8 hours.
The medication will help relieve your dog's diarrhea but even if your pet seems to be fine it is a good idea to take him to see a vet as soon as possible. This is especially important if the symptoms persist or return when you stop giving your dog Pepto Bismol. In these instances, it could be that your dog's stomach upset is a sign of an underlying health problem.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When to Give Your Dog Pepto Bismol

Pepto Bismol is useful for treating stomach upsets. There are many things that could give your dog diarrhea. While it could be an indication of a serious health problem, it is likely to be something to do with the dog's diet. Pepto Bismol works to soothe the stomach and the intestinal lining and it can help relieve diarrhoea when the problem is caused by something your dog has eaten.
Pepto Bismol comes in different strengths so it is important to choose the right one. Normally, regular strength Pepto Bismol is the safest type to use. The dosage of the medication will be determined by the size of your dog.
Generally, the advised dosage is 0.5-1ml of Pepto Bismol per pound of weight. It should be administered every 6-8 hours. If you're using the tablets, that is equal to ¼ tablet per 20 pounds of weight every 6-8 hours.
The medication will help relieve your dog's diarrhea but even if your pet seems to be fine it is a good idea to take him to see a vet as soon as possible. This is especially important if the symptoms persist or return when you stop giving your dog Pepto Bismol. In these instances, it could be that your dog's stomach upset is a sign of an underlying health problem.

Thanks so much for the info.
I did call the vet (this morning) and no one's called back yet. I know it's because of the antibiotic as Diarrhea is one of it's most common side effects. Just waiting to hear back now..

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much for the info.
I did call the vet (this morning) and no one's called back yet. I know it's because of the antibiotic as Diarrhea is one of it's most common side effects. Just waiting to hear back now..

;);)

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
hiya [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION]

thanks for asking. he's doing better. no more diarrhea but no matter what we do, can't seem to resolve his skin issues. at least they're better (for now).

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
hiya @Baconator

thanks for asking. he's doing better. no more diarrhea but no matter what we do, can't seem to resolve his skin issues. at least they're better (for now).

that's good that they are better for now. Poor guy can't get a break. Have they run a full allergy panel on him yet?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
that's good that they are better for now. Poor guy can't get a break. Have they run a full allergy panel on him yet?

Not yet. My vet it's not totally reliable. Thinking it might be seasonal and if it is, will clear up on it's own when it gets cooler.
Meanwhile, he's getting baths 2 times a week with Duoxo shampoo ,and wiped down daily with the pads. This seems to keep the yeast and bacteria in check for the most part.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.