New Bully owner, need help!

OP
BigMacAttack

BigMacAttack

Nov 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Paulie
Good luck SaveMe! Sounds like we have very similar problems :( I'm going to try Fromm, but I'm trying to find a mix that is good for a less active dog.... He's a little over a year old, 53 lbs., and not too active. On a scale of 1-10 of activity, I'd give him a 5.

I'm really hoping that changing his food will make the difference. I just want to make sure I pick the right one for him. I've read that since he's already on the Wellness Super5Mix, the switch should be easier?

I've already taken away his toys that are plastic, but he still has his rubber ones. He hasn't had a reaction up until this week, so I don't know how it could be his toys? Thanks again.

OP
BigMacAttack

BigMacAttack

Nov 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Paulie
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], do you think Nature's logic would be better than Fromm, for Paulie? Being that he has the "allergy", yeast and redness, and less inactivity?

Last edited by a moderator:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When I switched Stig to Fromm Salmon a la Veg (I thought he was allergic to chicken), his energy level shot to the roof. He learned how to go up and down the stairs, was able to jump on my sofa, played fetch, ran laps in the house, etc etc etc. But then again, I'm thinking he finally felt comfortable with us and was able to show his real personality. You never know, maybe a food change and a little time will do magic to his energy level. His poops were also more firm and less which are great signs.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1464]BigMacAttack[/MENTION] since you are feeding a LOT less of this food (3/4 c twice a day) the amount of protien should not be a problem. Make sure he has plenty of water, and you just may see his energy level grow- especially if the food helps his allergies..... if you feel lousy you just don't want to do much, plus the benedryl is probably making him sleepy too.

For our Tidus, I am still trying to figure him out. I think he may just have an eye problem, because I decided to take him off the meds he has been on for 3 months and I see NO change in him. His skin is more dry and itchy (got some tee tree oil shampoo from Carolina pet pantry, I will give you all an update on it) and his eyes seem swollen. But other than that, he has no other signs of obvious allergies (paw licking, yeasty ears, for example) He is the same on every food I give him. He is every wrinkly. I think I am going to get another vets opinion because they pop me for $100 everytime to tell me to keep doing the same thing until he is old enough for surgery. But many years ago a vet said something to me I will never forget when we had baby sarah..... you can put drops and give pills to MASK the problem, but what is the CAUSE of the problem?

So I must now find out if it is allergies or not. I think I will ask my vet to give him an allergy shot to see if that improves him. Then I should know if it is allergies I am dealing with- or if it's just his eyes.

Bathing, for an allergy dog, should be more often. But not so often that you strip the oils from the skin. This is why I wanted to try this tea tree oil shampoo to see if it give the right balance of moisture to his skin.

For which food to try, hmmmm that is a tough one. I think either one is likely to give you good results. Yes, the change should go smoother since you are already on a good dog food. But you could do a bland diet for a day if you want to be sure it goes smoother. I have switched ours once a month and many times one is on half/half for a week- and sometimes I forget who is getting which food (cuz I have not had enough coffee) lol and I have had no problems switching since I went to the 'good stuff'.

OP
BigMacAttack

BigMacAttack

Nov 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Paulie
Thanks guys! One thing, his energy is FINE, lol! He does laps, and is ALWAYS wanting to play, but sometimes I just can't accommodate the lil' guy :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks guys! One thing, his energy is FINE, lol! He does laps, and is ALWAYS wanting to play, but sometimes I just can't accommodate the lil' guy :)

LOL, please keep us posted on how everything goes. We are like a bulldog owner family here. Good or bad, good for cheers and bad for support. Cuz we have all had our bulldog ups and downs here. :up::down:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
To Mac Attack and Save Me: If I were you I'd be trying to find a new vet with lots of EB experience. Sounds like maybe your vets aren't too up on Bullies and all their issues. If you check with a rescue or a good breeder in your area they should be able to put you on to a good Bully vet. I really think that makes all the difference. Also listen to all the good advise here. I'm fairly new to Bullies and this group has so many years of Bully experience! You've come to the right place, WELCOME and good luck with your Bully boy!

OP
BigMacAttack

BigMacAttack

Nov 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Paulie
Hey guys, I picked up some Nature's Logic Venison brand and I'm going to start him on it tomorrow. Any tips?

I had him on the Wellness Super5Mix and fed him 2 cups in the morning. I was told to go to one cup in the AM and one in the PM, and to mix slowly. You think that would be best? Also, the lady at the specialty food store rec. California Natural? She said it was good for allergies b/c it only had 3 ingredients? It has a good rating on the site. But to be honest, I would like to stick with Fromm or Nature's Logic b/c of all the positives on this great site I've read.

I also got some salmon oil for the lil' dude, and I also got the Oatmeal shampoo for his itchiness. Hope you guys are having a good weekend, thanks so much for everything. I'll post pics of Paulie in the coming weeks and stuff, as I get around to it. Thanks again, and please feel free to leave tips if you can think of ANYTHING!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=1464]BigMacAttack[/MENTION] Welcome!! I am a new bully owner too, we got ours in April. The breeder had the puppies on puppy chow, I was going to change my bully to Iams like my beagle is on but I found this board before I did and for that I am grateful. I first had him on Avoderm, his coat was magnificent but the tear stains were hard to manage and he started to get some pink in his face. I switched to the Surf and Turf Fromm and now I have my beagle on it too. I am so happy with this food I recommend it!! This board is full of great advice and tips so you will become a pro bully parent in no time! :up:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
BigMacAttack

BigMacAttack

Nov 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Paulie
Thanks Mammy! Good luck with your bully, and yes, this board seems like it will do wonders for us and Paulie :) I'm pumped. I just want to get everything taken care of for him, b/c as we all know, these dogs are probably the cutest things that are walking the face of the earth. I've had Rott's, Golden Labs, Chocolate labs, and a german shorthair, and I don't know if any compare to my bully. I can never get mad at the little guy! I mean, I punish him for doing bad stuff, because it's for his own good, but it sucks each and every time :)

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=1464]BigMacAttack[/MENTION] Thank you. I also wanted to mention the Surf and Turf Fromm that Bear is on didn't really change his energy levels that I could tell, he stayed the same really. Just that puppy energy. I've had him on the Fromm for about a month and he adjusted quickly and well to it. We have to "shun" Bear sometimes when he gets too playful and the biting and yep it sucks but he has totally changed our lives, we had a lab mix who passed away last year and I didn't think I'd ever want another dog, let alone a bulldog. Best decision ever!! He makes us so happy and not that we didn't love our lab and love our beagle to death, bullies just do something to you :luv:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=1464]BigMacAttack[/MENTION] - Paulie's so gorgeous and has such a huggable face! (hug) A lot of people will recommended to transition the food in at least 4 days. 25% new food and 75% old food the first day. 50/50 new/old the next, and so on. Since you had him on good food already, it shouldn't really bother his tummy. But I guess watch out for an discomfortness, such as through his stools if it's runny. G'luck, and let us know how it goes!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1464]BigMacAttack[/MENTION] - Welcome to the site!!! I had Maggie on Beneful when I discovered this site, and was horrified to find out it was rated a 1* food!! :eek:

After doing a bit of research on these posts .. and contacting [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] who knows more about the food for bullies than anybody else I know!! ... I switched Maggie to the Fromm salmon n'Veg. We also introduced Grizzly pet products salmon oil to put on her food. Maggie was definitely a couch potato on the Beneful but the boost in her energy after switching to the Fromm and the salmon oil was amazing. She's still a couch potato but her eyes are "shiny" and her hair is softer. She just looks so much better. I am SO happy with FROMM!!!!

meggsie1982

Nov 4, 2010
Holden Beach, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kula
I'm new to this group too, and I'm so glad I found 'em! Everyone is so sweet & very helpful! I hope Paulie feels better soon!

Bully Love, Meg & Kula 69468_672724862226_40509002_38239425_4520522_n.jpg

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Everything is trial by error. I usually buy the smaller bags of food when I first start out, but it does take about 1 1/2 months to really find out about food allergies. I'm thinking about switching Norm's food because his tear stains are bad.

Good luck!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online