Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Bully owner, need help!

So the vet did not give you any anti bacterial shampoo to bath in? When molly got a skin infection I had to bath her every other day.

I am going to try that coconut oil @Bella'sMom .... does carolina pet pantry have it?

I would try fromm grain free surf and turf for grain free. Switch slowly, and give nothing else for a few days. (no treats or extras). But I would also suggest trying one new food every month, or when it's time to get a new bag anyway. You will find the one that works the best and go from there. It can sometimes take 5 different foods before you find the right one.
    Take away anything plastic, wash his bed in fragrance free detergeant, and if you see him get better, slowly add things back into his lifestyle, one at a time, to see if it is effecting him.

Fall is a high allergen time, but depending on where you live, the allergy season may be coming to an end.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Paulie
    Likes (Received)

Nope, the vet gave us no anti bacterial shampoo.

I don't have a bed for him? He sleeps with us...Should I get him one?

Take away ALL plastics? What about his KONG rubber toys?

I live in Vegas, so I'm not sure about the allergies...

Thanks again!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome!

My bf and I also got Stig recently, 2 months ago to be exact, and he seems to have the same sensitivities as yours. We've been to the vet many times and they first thought his hives and itchiness were due allergies. Then they found out he had mange. Then the next week our original vet told us that his mange may be due to allergies. All in all, after 2 months of antibiotics, we're still unsure and losing a little confidence in our vets. Stig also recently developed an ear infection, which I think is due to being on antibiotics for too long.

Here are some of the things that worked though:
    - 1 capsule of salmon oil morning and night --> good for their skin
    - oatmeal & aloe shampoo --> relieves the itchies, also bathe once a week. After rinsing really well with water, rinse with a 50/50 water and vinegar mixture. This also relieves the itchies
    - clean wrinkles daily. not sure if you're already doing this, but after you clean and dry his wrinkles, get a q-tip and put some corn starch in them. This will ensure that they stay dry.
    - for benadryl pills, it's 1 per 25 pounds. Stig's almost 50 pounds, so we used to give 1 every morning and nite until our costco sized bottle ran out
    - fromm surf and turf is grain free --> feed 1 cup morning and nite. You may find that you need to experiment with different foods. We're switching Stig to raw soon. It's going to be alot of work at first, but Stig's dog daycare owner swears by it and is going to help us transition. She says that all her dogs, including those she rescuend fostered, did really well on it, and decreased her vet bills to practically nil. If you'd really like to find out what he's allergic to, I read that you should not give him treats. This way you can pin point based on the food you give him. You can also use kibble as treats if you like.
    - Stig's also got cherry eye which comes and goes. Some members are able to massage their bully's back to normal, which my bf and I are still trying to do.

As what all the members will say, finding the best food is the most important thing you can do for bully. This doesn't necessarily mean to get the most expensive, but rather, find the best brand/type for your fur-kid. That's what we're still trying to do for Stig, and hopefully, switching to raw is the best for him.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 11-06-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Paulie
    Likes (Received)

Good luck SaveMe! Sounds like we have very similar problems I'm going to try Fromm, but I'm trying to find a mix that is good for a less active dog.... He's a little over a year old, 53 lbs., and not too active. On a scale of 1-10 of activity, I'd give him a 5.

I'm really hoping that changing his food will make the difference. I just want to make sure I pick the right one for him. I've read that since he's already on the Wellness Super5Mix, the switch should be easier?

I've already taken away his toys that are plastic, but he still has his rubber ones. He hasn't had a reaction up until this week, so I don't know how it could be his toys? Thanks again.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Paulie
    Likes (Received)

@desertskybulldogs, do you think Nature's logic would be better than Fromm, for Paulie? Being that he has the "allergy", yeast and redness, and less inactivity?
    Last edited by Libra926; 11-06-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added bulldogs to the end of desertsky for a complete tag

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

When I switched Stig to Fromm Salmon a la Veg (I thought he was allergic to chicken), his energy level shot to the roof. He learned how to go up and down the stairs, was able to jump on my sofa, played fetch, ran laps in the house, etc etc etc. But then again, I'm thinking he finally felt comfortable with us and was able to show his real personality. You never know, maybe a food change and a little time will do magic to his energy level. His poops were also more firm and less which are great signs.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@BigMacAttack since you are feeding a LOT less of this food (3/4 c twice a day) the amount of protien should not be a problem. Make sure he has plenty of water, and you just may see his energy level grow- especially if the food helps his allergies..... if you feel lousy you just don't want to do much, plus the benedryl is probably making him sleepy too.

For our Tidus, I am still trying to figure him out. I think he may just have an eye problem, because I decided to take him off the meds he has been on for 3 months and I see NO change in him. His skin is more dry and itchy (got some tee tree oil shampoo from Carolina pet pantry, I will give you all an update on it) and his eyes seem swollen. But other than that, he has no other signs of obvious allergies (paw licking, yeasty ears, for example) He is the same on every food I give him. He is every wrinkly. I think I am going to get another vets opinion because they pop me for $100 everytime to tell me to keep doing the same thing until he is old enough for surgery. But many years ago a vet said something to me I will never forget when we had baby sarah..... you can put drops and give pills to MASK the problem, but what is the CAUSE of the problem?

So I must now find out if it is allergies or not. I think I will ask my vet to give him an allergy shot to see if that improves him. Then I should know if it is allergies I am dealing with- or if it's just his eyes.

Bathing, for an allergy dog, should be more often. But not so often that you strip the oils from the skin. This is why I wanted to try this tea tree oil shampoo to see if it give the right balance of moisture to his skin.

For which food to try, hmmmm that is a tough one. I think either one is likely to give you good results. Yes, the change should go smoother since you are already on a good dog food. But you could do a bland diet for a day if you want to be sure it goes smoother. I have switched ours once a month and many times one is on half/half for a week- and sometimes I forget who is getting which food (cuz I have not had enough coffee) lol and I have had no problems switching since I went to the 'good stuff'.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Paulie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys! One thing, his energy is FINE, lol! He does laps, and is ALWAYS wanting to play, but sometimes I just can't accommodate the lil' guy

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacAttack View Post
    Thanks guys! One thing, his energy is FINE, lol! He does laps, and is ALWAYS wanting to play, but sometimes I just can't accommodate the lil' guy
    LOL, please keep us posted on how everything goes. We are like a bulldog owner family here. Good or bad, good for cheers and bad for support. Cuz we have all had our bulldog ups and downs here.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

To Mac Attack and Save Me: If I were you I'd be trying to find a new vet with lots of EB experience. Sounds like maybe your vets aren't too up on Bullies and all their issues. If you check with a rescue or a good breeder in your area they should be able to put you on to a good Bully vet. I really think that makes all the difference. Also listen to all the good advise here. I'm fairly new to Bullies and this group has so many years of Bully experience! You've come to the right place, WELCOME and good luck with your Bully boy!

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Paulie
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, I picked up some Nature's Logic Venison brand and I'm going to start him on it tomorrow. Any tips?

I had him on the Wellness Super5Mix and fed him 2 cups in the morning. I was told to go to one cup in the AM and one in the PM, and to mix slowly. You think that would be best? Also, the lady at the specialty food store rec. California Natural? She said it was good for allergies b/c it only had 3 ingredients? It has a good rating on the site. But to be honest, I would like to stick with Fromm or Nature's Logic b/c of all the positives on this great site I've read.

I also got some salmon oil for the lil' dude, and I also got the Oatmeal shampoo for his itchiness. Hope you guys are having a good weekend, thanks so much for everything. I'll post pics of Paulie in the coming weeks and stuff, as I get around to it. Thanks again, and please feel free to leave tips if you can think of ANYTHING!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

@BigMacAttack Welcome!! I am a new bully owner too, we got ours in April. The breeder had the puppies on puppy chow, I was going to change my bully to Iams like my beagle is on but I found this board before I did and for that I am grateful. I first had him on Avoderm, his coat was magnificent but the tear stains were hard to manage and he started to get some pink in his face. I switched to the Surf and Turf Fromm and now I have my beagle on it too. I am so happy with this food I recommend it!! This board is full of great advice and tips so you will become a pro bully parent in no time!
    Last edited by bullmama; 11-06-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: removed the K in mac for the @ to work :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads