Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
So, Brie has an ulcer in her left eye. I noticed blinking n a lot of tearing 2 days ago n I took her to the vet. Apparently it is very deep. You can see the duvet quite clearly. We are giving her triple antibiotic ointment and atropine ointment. The vet said they can do a sort of scrape thing or take her blood, spin it and put the serum in her eye to try to speed up healing. Not sure about either tbh. I have to bring her in every 2 days for eye checks now and w her still having stitches from her spay, I'm rly reluctant to do anything else invasive in any way. Any thoughts? I'm giving her the antibiotic ointment 3 times per day and she is being really good about not bothering it.

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
We're just finishing the 3rd week of treatment for Georgie Girl's eye ulcer. She had 2 weeks of antibiotics (500mg Amoxicillan) and for 2 weeks she had 2 types of drops and ointment 3X a day. (Drops were Alprotine and Remend Corneal Repair Drops) The ointment is Triple Antibiotic eye Ointment. Now in week 3 and for the next 10 days I give her the Remend Corneal Repair Drops 2X/day and instead of the ointment the vet prescribed NeoPolyDex Eye Drops 5ml 2X/day) and then she's done. We took her to the Vet yesterday and the ulcer is basically scar tissue right now. Georgie Girl is really good about getting drops and ointment in her eye. The Amoxicillin we had to mix with peanut butter (that's the only way she'll "take" medicine!)

I pray that Brie will recover quickly and be just fine.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Both my bullies have had eye ulcer's, it's a pretty common issue. One time Winston's was so bad he had to get a steroid shot, Benadryl, and the eye ointments. I'm always vigilant about him rubbing his face... Poor Brie, she's having a ruff summer ; (

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Omg I know! We all could use a break from medical stuff! I'll discuss some of the things you r doing w the vet on Saturday. I would really prefer drops n ointments to invasive treatments. She was taking Cephlexin oral antibiotic for spay stitches but she finished that yesterday. The vet doesn't think it is bacterial so doesn't recommend another oral. I think eyes heal pretty well on their own normally, well, human eyes do, paws crossed dogs do as well. There is a bluish hue to her eye that is kind of scary but I'm assuming normal w a deep ulcer.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have no experience of this but I know [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] has .... lets hope that it won't go as far as needing surgery!!!! :pray:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My vet never mentioned surgery, but I don't think they were that bad. Hopefully you won't have to worry about that ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hopefully the ulcer is just from a scratch, they don't heal up real quick and some can be downright stubborn. My Molly never even squinted or anything, but I noticed her lens got cloudy so I took her in. She had two ulcers!! Poor girl I felt so bad but she did not show any signs. She did get scarring in that eye permanently. :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Hopefully the ulcer is just from a scratch, they don't heal up real quick and some can be downright stubborn. My Molly never even squinted or anything, but I noticed her lens got cloudy so I took her in. She had two ulcers!! Poor girl I felt so bad but she did not show any signs. She did get scarring in that eye permanently. :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Im sry she had 2 and scarring! Hopefully she is back to perfection again now! We are pretty sure it is from a scratch of some sort, the vet said she is positive there is no infection. The cut in her eye is deep and so scary looking. It's like a little piece is gone and the bluish hue has spread. I'm a wreck, but that is a good thing, yes? Shows I truly love my lil fathead. She has been good about letting me get the ointment in her eye. She still needs to be held tight while I do it, but not the bucking bronco w other things. i'm trying so hard to make sure I'm getting it in there. I still have o be careful of her spay stitches too, so I'm just a mess LOL

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie has an ulcer on her right eye. The antibiotic ointment helps hers clear up real quick. Good Luck and I hope your bully gets better soon!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] have your vet make the serum from her blood and use that, it will heal much faster. Jewel had an ulcerated eye and we used the drops and ointment and it took forever to heal. A good friend of ours told us about the blood serum and she has used it before and said it works great and they heal much faster. So I'll do that the next time if one of ours ever get an ulcer again.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
@Lisabear123 have your vet make the serum from her blood and use that, it will heal much faster. Jewel had an ulcerated eye and we used the drops and ointment and it took forever to heal. A good friend of ours told us about the blood serum and she has used it before and said it works great and they heal much faster. So I'll do that the next time if one of ours ever get an ulcer again.

I have to bring her back tomorrow so I'll tell them to do that option. I was just concerned about poking her again as she is been through a lot..but if it will help her heal faster then I'll do it. Thank you for the help. Thank ALL of you for the help and good thoughts!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online