Help Needed! Skin issue!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
So I was loving on Bocephus today after work and notice that he was shedding more than normal (a lot more than normal). So then of course I was trying to get some excess hair off and while I was rubbing/scratching his back I noticed this spot where there was less hair. Upon inspection, I saw a little crusty spot/dried pimple like thing. Picture to follow. I know that Brad just gave him a bath the other day. Any thoughts on what it is?
a6y9asym.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey Liz.... is it the only spot on him... did you find any others? where is it on his body?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
the shedding could just be summer shedding and if this is an isolated spot could be anything. id put some neosporin on it and see if it gets worse or anything else comes up.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
An insect bite maybe? Finn gets these occasional bumps and "pimple-like" things on his body too. Just monitor it...could be from the recent bath?

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
hey Liz.... is it the only spot on him... did you find any others? where is it on his body?

A few months ago we took him to the vet bc he had some obvious spots on his head where he was missing hair. They did two different tests, one to check for mange the other for ring worm. Both came back negative. Spots went away. He was treated with ivermectin as a puppy for mange like 2 yrs ago. Then shortly after we noticed a spot on his cheek by his ear where it looked like the same thing... Same tests at vet same results.. No news. Then I noticed various tiny spots that looked like it might be the same thing, less hair over a generalized area. That went away. Now just this spot came up and I can't help but think its from the bath bc I think we noticed the other stuff on his head after a bath. The vet thinks allergies. He is on blue buffalo grain free diet and doesn't have any other problems. He's uses Paul Mitchell for dogs oatmeal shampoo I believe. I will definitely bathe in him something different next time. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A few months ago we took him to the vet bc he had some obvious spots on his head where he was missing hair. They did two different tests, one to check for mange the other for ring worm. Both came back negative. Spots went away. He was treated with ivermectin as a puppy for mange like 2 yrs ago. Then shortly after we noticed a spot on his cheek by his ear where it looked like the same thing... Same tests at vet same results.. No news. Then I noticed various tiny spots that looked like it might be the same thing, less hair over a generalized area. That went away. Now just this spot came up and I can't help but think its from the bath bc I think we noticed the other stuff on his head after a bath. The vet thinks allergies. He is on blue buffalo grain free diet and doesn't have any other problems. He's uses Paul Mitchell for dogs oatmeal shampoo I believe. I will definitely bathe in him something different next time. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

I was thinking staph infection.... [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] thoughts?

a6y9asym.jpg

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
IMO if that's the only spot, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about , if more show up exactly like it, then it could be something. Until then, I wouldn't sweat it. Sounds like he's well taken care of , for sure.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would tend to agree that it looks like the remnants of a bug bite or a pimple. Even if he had a tick on him and it released it would leave a mark like that.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Our doggy dermatologist told us that dogs can get little pimple-like bumps or skin crusts that are bacterial or allergy related. This could be a little bug bite or scratch too. You could always talk to your vet about switching to an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal shampoo which are great for dogs with allergies/skin issues. We have Tonka on one that our vet gave us and I can't think of the name of it off hand but I know there are many different brands. They usually have ingredients such as ketaconazole and chlorhexidine. Probably butchered the spelling on those! :) Might be a good method of prevention for further skin issues.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to keep an eye on it. It never acts like it bothers him or itches so we will 'wait and see'. If someone has the name of an anti-fungal/ anti-bacterial shampoo to recommend, I'd be appreciative. I do have the k hexa-chlor wipes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It could be a mosquito bite, they are out in full force right now. My grandson was out in the garden last night for about 10 mins, while my hubby put the sprinkler on, and when he came inside he was covered in mosquito bites, he had 5 on his forehead, some on his legs, and a couple on his cheeks, they had a feast on him. He came in itching, and all red, I'm wondering if he isn't allergic to them, or if it was just from the scratching, but all I had was vinegar and I dabbed he bites with white vinegar and they stopped itching. I sent him home smelling like salt and vinegar chips. He thought that was funny, because those are his favourite chips.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
It could be a mosquito bite, they are out in full force right now. My grandson was out in the garden last night for about 10 mins, while my hubby put the sprinkler on, and when he came inside he was covered in mosquito bites, he had 5 on his forehead, some on his legs, and a couple on his cheeks, they had a feast on him. He came in itching, and all red, I'm wondering if he isn't allergic to them, or if it was just from the scratching, but all I had was vinegar and I dabbed he bites with white vinegar and they stopped itching. I sent him home smelling like salt and vinegar chips. He thought that was funny, because those are his favourite chips.

They are really bad here too. I am hoping it's just that. I gave him some benadryl too, just in case. I love ebn, for lots of reasons, but mostly bc of the comradarie and the shared love of our bully babies. No where can you find this much knowledge and insight (that is free and forth-coming) that is solely generated on love alone. Thank you everyone for you constant care and concern for my boy.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Hope your guy is doing well! I like to use Etiderm shampoo [MENTION=5774]Bo'sMamaGirl[/MENTION] also I recently purchased Hexeden which has nice reviews but haven't tried it yet. I know people have different opinions, but I think if you have a dog that seems to have allergies or you know has allergies, bathing often helps get rid of allergens such as pollen, etc. on their fur. I need to find an article I read where there was a study that supported this, by a group of doggie dermatologists. I know I should bathe more often than I do and my vet agreed it would probably help, esp. during a flare up. We can control their food, but not the environment so easily. :(

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hope your guy is doing well! I like to use Etiderm shampoo [MENTION=5774]Bo'sMamaGirl[/MENTION] also I recently purchased Hexeden which has nice reviews but haven't tried it yet. I know people have different opinions, but I think if you have a dog that seems to have allergies or you know has allergies, bathing often helps get rid of allergens such as pollen, etc. on their fur. I need to find an article I read where there was a study that supported this, by a group of doggie dermatologists. I know I should bathe more often than I do and my vet agreed it would probably help, esp. during a flare up. We can control their food, but not the environment so easily. :(

I would imagine that your theory is probably right. Thank you for the insight!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He's uses Paul Mitchell for dogs oatmeal shampoo I believe.

​Oatmeal, even in shampoo can cause problems...I'd quit using on him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.