Other YEAST & Grain Free Diets

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I found this and thought it's an interesting article regarding yeast and grain free diets. It's from the Animal Dermatology Clinic that treated our Frenchy Mickey.

There is an urban myth running rampant in the pet
world regarding pet food and grain. Many on-line
sources by self appointed experts advise people to
have their pets with skin problems begin a “grain-free”
diet as a cure for what ails them and that feeding foods
high in carbohydrates will cause yeast on the skin.
Guess what? Those cases often end up at Animal
Dermatology Clinic, in order to determine the real
triggers for the pets’ skin or allergy problems.
Food has become entrenched among laypeople as
a very common cause of skin disease and while it can
be an allergic trigger it is a far less common trigger
than generally considered by those same individuals.
Celiac disease has become a well-known ailment in
people, where sufferers cannot eat grain. And it is
true that a pet can be allergic to grain, but it is usually
the protein that is the culprit. Still, a true food allergic
pet is not as common as is believed.
One of the key fallacies of these self-appointed
experts is the advocating of grain restriction of a pet
with yeast.
The most common yeast on the skin of dogs and
cats is Malassezia pachydermatis and there are a
number of reasons for a pet to develop overgrowth
and in almost all cases it is usually a SECONDARY
symptom. A very common underlying primary cause
are allergies which lead to defects and changes in the
skin that allow for favorable microclimates for the
yeasts to grow and create complicating factors for a
patient.

The rumor that pets ingesting grain or any
carbohydrate will lead to yeast growth on the skin of the
pet is not true. There is no scientific evidence that
exists to support this as fact but it is commonly
proposed by some pet food and supplement sellers in
their marketing efforts.

Fact: A nutritious balanced diet is required for a
pet. No one disagrees with this statement, except the
anti-grain groups which strongly believe that grain
negatively impacts a pet’s immune system, thereby
causing yeast growth.
Excluding the rare dog with a true allergy, there is no
evidence to support claims that grains cause health
problems. (Central Veterinary Conference, 2011)

Myth: Dogs are carnivorous, therefore their
digestive systems are not suited to grain.
It is frequently claimed, based primarily on the
fallacious logic of “evolutionary nutrition,” that dogs are
incapable of digesting grains or that these make poor
nutrient sources in dog foods. Extensive evidence from
laboratory research and feeding trials illustrates this is
false and that cooked grains are excellent energy
sources and can also provide protein and other
important nutrients to dogs.

Fact: When baking bread or making beer,
the driving ingredient for yeast growth is sugar.
Many food items containing yeast require the
trigger of sugar to “grow” that yeast. And through
the popularity of human dieting trends, most people
know that the consumption of grains and
carbohydrates are energy foods that metabolize
into sugar in the body.
This is not the same physiological process that
feeds Malassezia in an affected pet. Consumption
of grains and carbohydrates do not encourage
yeast growth.
A person with athlete’s foot (a fungal infection
on the foot and remember, yeasts are a form of
fungus) does not exacerbate the condition by
eating a slice of toasted bread!
If your pet has an odorous smell and greasy
coat, it may be evidence of a yeast infection. Ask
your veterinarian for guidance. Remember, yeast
is a secondary condition and identifying the
underlying cause is the goal.

Source: Rusty Muse, DVM, ACVD, Don Fruta,
Marketing Director, Animal Dermatology Clinic

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great info, but not as RARE as he thinks it is.... I've seen too many pups yeast clear up once the grains were out of the diet. so, he may be right in it not always being the grain, but it also is true that it CAN be the grain

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have been doing the yeast thing in sarah for a very long time and i can tell you i dont not think its a grain thing or sugar thing necessarily. i think its a what is your pet allergic to thing. these grain free foods once used potatoes which really are not much better than white rice. they also use tapioca which is not much better either far as carbs go. sarah is in fact on grains at this moment as she is allergic to peas and potatoes and i suspect tapioca to. she also has a white rice allergy. her yeast is actually getting better on certain grains than anything else ive used. i have had sarah on freeze dried raw food which has no carbs and her yeast on her feet never went away. so is it the carb or is it what your pet is allergic to. makes ya wonder really.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I also have found that removing grains or potatoes don't necessarily cure a yeast problem. But so many dogs are in fact allergic to some sort of gluten and there is just too many success stories with premium quality foods. I don't think it's always the grain but certainly the quality of food they are given, as well as potential allergies to what's in it. Same as chicken, many dogs do great on it ! But if you are having allergy problems, removing it is a good idea because it is a popular culprit for allergies.

Oh that was written by a vet so I'm not going to even listen to it. They are probably just mad that many of their clients don't want to buy their food.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with the article in principle. I don't think that grains necessarily are the culprit as are the type of grains. I don't feed my dogs any food that contains wheat or corn but other grains may or may not be ok it just depends on how, as an individual animal they adjust to it, much like humans. One man's meat is another man's poison. Also the notion that dogs are carnivorous and should only have animal protein I believe is also a myth. Yes dogs are descendants of wolves is correct but they are not wolves. Dogs have evolved with homo sapiens for over 30,000 years and have evolved / adapted to the diet in whole as have humans. Humans of course are omnivores having evolved as such and so have dogs. A good quality dog food is essential but to rule out all grains is misleading in my opinion. Also the notion of keeping a dog on one food source such as the same kibble for years I believe is detrimental to the animal. I believe they should be feed a variety of food including alternating and or adding the type of kibble they eat. I think feeding a dog one type of food for a long period of time is detrimental to their digestive system much like it would be for humans. Of course if a dog has been fed only one source of food, one variety of kibble for a long period they will have difficulty if the food is changed, no different than a human or any animal for that matter. But if they have variety then their digestive system adjusts to it and is strengthened. It's a logical supposition in my opinion and I think the facts bear it out

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Unfortunately vets are also very seldom experts of nutrition.....I feed raw and my boys don't eat any grain. They also don't have any allergies, yeast or problems with their skin. I believe dogs don't need that much carbs, their primary source of energy is fat.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh that was written by a vet so I'm not going to even listen to it. They are probably just mad that many of their clients don't want to buy their food.

That's exactly what I thought after I posted this. :glare:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I wouldn't discount someones nutritional notions just because they were a Veterinarian anymore than I would assume they are a nutritional expert because they are not a Vet. Veterinarian school may or may not include alot of wisdom or knowledge concerning nutrition but that doesn't preclude some of them from doing the research and having that knowledge on their own. MD's use to be on a whole not very exceptional when it came to nutrition but quite a few more recently have become more astute about nutrition and some of them are on the cutting edge.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wouldn't discount someones nutritional notions just because they were a Veterinarian anymore than I would assume they are a nutritional expert because they are not a Vet. Veterinarian school may or may not include alot of wisdom or knowledge concerning nutrition but that doesn't preclude some of them from doing the research and having that knowledge on their own. MD's use to be on a whole not very exceptional when it came to nutrition but quite a few more recently have become more astute about nutrition and some of them are on the cutting edge.

Well put. A lot of vets are out to sell the food because they are getting kick backs from the Dog food companies. I put this up because I think it's interesting how blatantly outright this guy was about how yeast isn't affected by the grain free diet when most of us have always been told and have read how dogs should be on a grain free diet. That's why I think this site is so special because we have people like [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] & [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] that really do the in-depth research of these little (or big) ones that live with us and the food they eat.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well put. A lot of vets are out to sell the food because they are getting kick backs from the Dog food companies. I put this up because I think it's interesting how blatantly outright this guy was about how yeast isn't affected by the grain free diet when most of us have always been told and have read how dogs should be on a grain free diet. That's why I think this site is so special because we have people like @cowsmom & @Twice & @Sherry that really do the in-depth research of these little (or big) ones that live with us and the food they eat.

Yes, sad to say but follow the money. Of course anyone in the health profession, be it human or animal, should be and ought to be, by oath, conviction and intent about the well being of their patients. But its alas not always the case. But let's hope some are and I do believe that some are, still about the calling and not about the money.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
While it's true not ALL vets are uneducated in nutrition, the sad fact is, most
are not and the kickbacks are too common in what they rec'mend just like
these new vaccines on the market that honest vets do not rec'mend but the
dishonest & greedy vets will and do.

Grains are not inherently bad or good and there is a need in a proper diet, the
problems being too much grain to the percentage of healthy fats, proteins, etc.
Moreover, grains can cause systematic inflammation which leads to all sorts of
problems from that, some chronic. The majority of grains are now GMO's and
are causing more problems than ever, toxic~a big reason the honey bees are
dying off.

Some animals may not have a problem even to the grains but the toxic additives,
chemicals & preservatives used in the foods and yes, sometimes to the proteins.
All humans and animals can have or develop allergies/sensitivities to anything at
any time even after years of ingesting that same food years & years.

I have auto immune diseases & Fibro (which some doctors still dismiss as nonsense
much as they dismiss celiac/gluten intolerance) and have for years now...it's been
a long journey. Much is unknown to the medical field, they have no answers or cures
and don't know the causes and so I've had to research & try different things on my
own. Since cutting out most grains, I've had less inflammation therefore less pain
and some doctors pooh pooed my results (all fired now) along with the long list of
doctors that insisted I had nothing wrong except mentally...once educated long
enough, I insisted on a simple blood test that came back positive for auto immune
disease (there's over 100 of them) so then it was a long process of WHICH one(s).

I don't have much respect for most of the medical field, human or animal.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
There are unscrupulous and greedy people in ALL professions including the medical field. But I for one have due respect for all the advances that have been made through medical science and in the medical field, human and animal. Of course people in the medical field and medical science are not infallible. And as I have said some are unscrupulous and potentially dangerous in their negligence. The first rule should be " Do thy patient no harm" But I would doubt there are any in this forum, certainly an overwhelming majority who either themselves or a loved one has been saved, cured, or life improved and/or made better through the use of the advances in medical science and practice. Including their beloved dogs. How many just in this forum have had pets saved by the skillful means of a good vet and/or a veterinarian surgeon? Yes there are many examples of malfeasance in the medical profession be it human or animal, but there have also been many more cases of wonderful care and recovery of health and well being in the right hands of the those medically skilled.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Good info. I think what causes the allergic reaction is what causes the allergic reaction...if that makes any sense. It's individual, be it grains or other. There isn't real general rule that I know of that says it has to be 'this' or it is never 'this'. I do wish more vets would be nutritionally educated tho. So many just push whatever sponsor they have.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There are unscrupulous and greedy people in ALL professions including the medical field. But I for one have due respect for all the advances that have been made through medical science and in the medical field, human and animal. Of course people in the medical field and medical science are not infallible. And as I have said some are unscrupulous and potentially dangerous in their negligence. The first rule should be " Do thy patient no harm" But I would doubt there are any in this forum, certainly an overwhelming majority who either themselves or a loved one has been saved, cured, or life improved and/or made better through the use of the advances in medical science and practice. Including their beloved dogs. How many just in this forum have had pets saved by the skillful means of a good vet and/or a veterinarian surgeon? Yes there are many examples of malfeasance in the medical profession be it human or animal, but there have also been many more cases of wonderful care and recovery of health and well being in the right hands of the those medically skilled.

Yes true, many times, I have an awesome vet. But I've also been to many vets where they have been completely wrong and have costeda life or almost costing a life. My vet doesn't push food either. But it took time to find him. Two recent experiences almost lost my beloved Yuna and lost two pups. Another was a simple abcess and another was a hotspot completely diagnosed wrong. I'm almost to the point where I feel it's pointless to see any other vet, even in emergencies. Each follow up with my vet was the lifesaver in these situations. Although I never would, but its an aching feeling when I know I cannot go to my vet. I'm downright scared to! I'm not saying there is not great vets out there, but there is a lot of bad ones where I live. :(

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes true, many times, I have an awesome vet. But I've also been to many vets where they have been completely wrong and have costeda life or almost costing a life. My vet doesn't push food either. But it took time to find him. Two recent experiences almost lost my beloved Yuna and lost two pups. Another was a simple abcess and another was a hotspot completely diagnosed wrong. I'm almost to the point where I feel it's pointless to see any other vet, even in emergencies. Each follow up with my vet was the lifesaver in these situations. Although I never would, but its an aching feeling when I know I cannot go to my vet. I'm downright scared to! I'm not saying there is not great vets out there, but there is a lot of bad ones where I live. :(

We should use our own judgement and not simply take the word of another simply because they are held up as an authority or so called expert. I don't mean we should discount those who are knowledgeable or those who have done the research but we can also do our own research as well and get second and third opinions if necessary.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.