Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: YEAST & Grain Free Diets

Good info. I think what causes the allergic reaction is what causes the allergic reaction...if that makes any sense. It's individual, be it grains or other. There isn't real general rule that I know of that says it has to be 'this' or it is never 'this'. I do wish more vets would be nutritionally educated tho. So many just push whatever sponsor they have.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    There are unscrupulous and greedy people in ALL professions including the medical field. But I for one have due respect for all the advances that have been made through medical science and in the medical field, human and animal. Of course people in the medical field and medical science are not infallible. And as I have said some are unscrupulous and potentially dangerous in their negligence. The first rule should be " Do thy patient no harm" But I would doubt there are any in this forum, certainly an overwhelming majority who either themselves or a loved one has been saved, cured, or life improved and/or made better through the use of the advances in medical science and practice. Including their beloved dogs. How many just in this forum have had pets saved by the skillful means of a good vet and/or a veterinarian surgeon? Yes there are many examples of malfeasance in the medical profession be it human or animal, but there have also been many more cases of wonderful care and recovery of health and well being in the right hands of the those medically skilled.
    Yes true, many times, I have an awesome vet. But I've also been to many vets where they have been completely wrong and have costeda life or almost costing a life. My vet doesn't push food either. But it took time to find him. Two recent experiences almost lost my beloved Yuna and lost two pups. Another was a simple abcess and another was a hotspot completely diagnosed wrong. I'm almost to the point where I feel it's pointless to see any other vet, even in emergencies. Each follow up with my vet was the lifesaver in these situations. Although I never would, but its an aching feeling when I know I cannot go to my vet. I'm downright scared to! I'm not saying there is not great vets out there, but there is a lot of bad ones where I live.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Yes true, many times, I have an awesome vet. But I've also been to many vets where they have been completely wrong and have costeda life or almost costing a life. My vet doesn't push food either. But it took time to find him. Two recent experiences almost lost my beloved Yuna and lost two pups. Another was a simple abcess and another was a hotspot completely diagnosed wrong. I'm almost to the point where I feel it's pointless to see any other vet, even in emergencies. Each follow up with my vet was the lifesaver in these situations. Although I never would, but its an aching feeling when I know I cannot go to my vet. I'm downright scared to! I'm not saying there is not great vets out there, but there is a lot of bad ones where I live.
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    We should use our own judgement and not simply take the word of another simply because they are held up as an authority or so called expert. I don't mean we should discount those who are knowledgeable or those who have done the research but we can also do our own research as well and get second and third opinions if necessary.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I personally think the "Grain Free Revolution" has been fed into, due to alot of the 'low quality' foods are corn based, Corn being the 1st ingredient in the low budget foods.

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

Interesting discussion. Dug this thread up via the search function.

Started a food diary for Holly a few months ago and will add some of these points to those pages. We started a diary because it's just too much to remember if you haven't been extensively exposed to this stuff. We are slowly but surely trying to fix Hollys yeast problems. I feel like such a bad bully parent

I think the grain free thing has taken off because it's the easiest thing you can do for your pup. Even people like me can figure out how to go pick up a bag of grain free kibble!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

You know, whether or not the article has truth in it or not, doesn't make a difference to me. The fact remains that dogs don't require grains for a healthy diet.
    And considering that we're constantly battling a yeast infection no matter what we try, the last thing I want to do is introduce anything else that may contribute to the problem.

The part that I find interesting is where they say this:

"Fact: A nutritious balanced diet is required for a pet.
    No one disagrees with this statement, except the
    anti-grain groups which strongly believe that grain
    negatively impact's a pets immune system, thereby causing yeast growth. etc. etc."

But, not once do they mention what that "nutritious diet" should be. Also, they never come out and say grains should be part of it. Why not? Why not list the benefits of grain in dog food? Umm, cause there really aren't any (aside from specific conditions where grain could be helpful).
    Further down the writer mentions that grains are an excellent source of protein!! Yes, we know they're used as a cheap alternative to real meat!! This is a health benefit? ROFL... man, if I saw this in my Vets office - I'd go off on my Vet.

The article is just pure dribble. A rant against any group that calls out the dog food industry for the **** they put in our pets food. The writer should be ashamed of themselves for having the nerve to waste my time on such diatribe. Give me back the last five minutes of my life please!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads