Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 39

Thread: So Worried

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default So Worried

    Winston has had a couple of episodes this week one on Monday morning and one last night where he has thrown up yellow bile. This has never happened before so the first time I made him some rice thought his stomach was just a bit off or it could be the heat/humidity. Last night started to worry me. He is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom and acting COMPLETELY normal which is why I am so confused. I called the vet last night but his doctor was not there however she will be calling me back this morning. He is on an anti-fungal medication right now which that vet said does have side effects of vomiting. I am a nervous wreck and didn't sleep half the night. The problem is my husband and I have to go away this weekend so he will be staying with his daycare while we are gone for the night. Please Help!

  2. #2
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: So Worried

    It has happened to ours also, I think all three of them once or twice has thrown up mustard yellowish slime. I connected it with times where their belly have been empty for some reason, so I always try to give them snacks in between food, doesn't have to be anything fancy, just so they have something in their belly I hope maybe that is what's going on with Winston? Maybe his stomach is sensitive? I had a Jack Russel that I had to feed 4 times a day even when adult for that reason. Vets are sometimes a bit difficult on the phone cos they want you to go there and pay, lol, but maybe if you have a good relationship with yours they can tell you something that will give you peace about it, or if they think you should bring him in.

    Hope it's nothing, I know how horrible it is to worry about them I always stress for the smallest thing and I think sometimes I make things up in my mind, lol
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: So Worried

    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    It has happened to ours also, I think all three of them once or twice has thrown up mustard yellowish slime. I connected it with times where their belly have been empty for some reason, so I always try to give them snacks in between food, doesn't have to be anything fancy, just so they have something in their belly I hope maybe that is what's going on with Winston? Maybe his stomach is sensitive? I had a Jack Russel that I had to feed 4 times a day even when adult for that reason. Vets are sometimes a bit difficult on the phone cos they want you to go there and pay, lol, but maybe if you have a good relationship with yours they can tell you something that will give you peace about it, or if they think you should bring him in.

    Hope it's nothing, I know how horrible it is to worry about them I always stress for the smallest thing and I think sometimes I make things up in my mind, lol
    This is good to know! That is the even stranger part both times it has happened it happened right before he ate breakfast or dinner...then he would run to his bowl like he was starving...eat and was perfectly fine. I have switched him recently from NVI LID Lamb to Fromm Pork & Peas maybe I need to feed him a little bit more? I will try the snacks. Thanks so much for getting back to me!

  4. #4
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: So Worried

    It does sound like it's from hunger if he will eat happily after throwing up and acts normal in every other way... Feeding bulldogs is a difficult balance, we had to put one of ours on diet food cos she got fat on "normal" food and to give her less wouldn't be fair cos then she would be hungry Hope the snack meals works
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  5. #5
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: So Worried

    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    It does sound like it's from hunger if he will eat happily after throwing up and acts normal in every other way... Feeding bulldogs is a difficult balance, we had to put one of ours on diet food cos she got fat on "normal" food and to give her less wouldn't be fair cos then she would be hungry Hope the snack meals works
    Thank you!

  6. #6
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,726
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5576

    Default Re: So Worried

    So sorry for your worries... It does seem to me like bullies tend to vomit a lot more than other dogs. Sounds like this is related to the meds, maybe he has to take them w/a snack? Or did he get overexcited? Good luck w/the vet & keep us posted

  7. #7
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: So Worried

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    So sorry for your worries... It does seem to me like bullies tend to vomit a lot more than other dogs. Sounds like this is related to the meds, maybe he has to take them w/a snack? Or did he get overexcited? Good luck w/the vet & keep us posted
    I usually give him the meds after he eats dinner....so he takes them with food. I would just think if it was the meds it would be happening more often? not twice over the course of the week?? I will keep everyone posted. Thank you.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Posts
    1
    Bulldog(s) Names
    TANK
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: So Worried

    The TANK does the same thing. Scared the heck out of me the first few times. For TANK it happens in the morning and after cookies. So we adjusted and he's his healthy, happy, snoring, snarky self. But I always have the Vet on spead dial...

    (I'm a firm believer that your not a true dog lover unless you've had a bulldog!)

  9. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: So Worried

    Quote Originally Posted by lxa298 View Post
    The TANK does the same thing. Scared the heck out of me the first few times. For TANK it happens in the morning and after cookies. So we adjusted and he's his healthy, happy, snoring, snarky self. But I always have the Vet on spead dial...

    (I'm a firm believer that your not a true dog lover unless you've had a bulldog!)
    Good to know! Yeah it is scary especially because this has really never happened to him before. I trust the people at his daycare 100% and he loves going there but it still scares me that I will not be with him. All of these replies are helping me calm down a bit while I am waiting for the vet.

  10. #10
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JennieS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,259
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    1308

    Default Re: So Worried

    Ruthie throws up all the time. We have found the right balance now with food and treats. I was concerned at first too cause hers was yellow, but it always happens when she gets a bit too excited and she just ate. it happens when she has tons of water too. Good Luck and I hope your baby gets better!

  11. #11
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: So Worried

    Quote Originally Posted by JennieS View Post
    Ruthie throws up all the time. We have found the right balance now with food and treats. I was concerned at first too cause hers was yellow, but it always happens when she gets a bit too excited and she just ate. it happens when she has tons of water too. Good Luck and I hope your baby gets better!
    Thank you so much!

  12. #12
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: So Worried

    I seriously just have to say I love Winston's vet. I explained to her what was happening and she said she thinks it could be a combination of the food switch and the medication. She said I should not worry too much right now as it is just bile and he's acting normal otherwise but she said to just make sure he is taking the medication with food & she wants me to give him some pepcid ac for a bit too, to help settle his tummy. She said to try that first and possibly a bland diet if needed then if hes not doing better to bring him in. It just makes me feel better to talk to her. I worry so much about him lol! I feel better now though, I will go get some pepcid tonight and give it to the people watching him at daycare now I can breathe a little!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •