Help Needed! So Worried

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hello everyone, I am new to this so bare with me:eek:) Loki is about 18 months old very happy healthy active little boy. Recently in the morning he seems to be coughing and clearing his throat a lot, the last 2 mornings he has been coughing up white phlegm. He does have allergies and benedryl seems to help him quite a bit but as well all know watching them cough is very scary and hard on their little squished faces. I was wondering if you all had any advice on something that we can do to help him get the phlegm out? He was recently at the vet for his yearly exam and she said that he is healthy and everything seems to be ok with him. He is on Nutrisource Lamb food that we switched him to after he developed food allergies. This is his 4th bag of it he hasn't seemed to have any problems with it, well nothing like the hives and lethargy that he was with his previous food. Any thoughts or recommendations for our little boy? Thanks everyone

First off :welcome: to EBN. Regarding your issue with Loki Beans(love the name btw) try what we mentioned in this thread. Bacon was doing the same thing every morning prior to us giving him a rice cake before bed. It almost seems like they get the equivalent of a post nasal drip at night and the rice cake absorbs it all up. That may make no sense at all but the rice cake fixed the issue for us along with a few other people. Just make sure they are unsalted rice cakes.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
First off :welcome: to EBN. Regarding your issue with Loki Beans(love the name btw) try what we mentioned in this thread. Bacon was doing the same thing every morning prior to us giving him a rice cake before bed. It almost seems like they get the equivalent of a post nasal drip at night and the rice cake absorbs it all up. That may make no sense at all but the rice cake fixed the issue for us along with a few other people. Just make sure they are unsalted rice cakes.

Thanks to everyones suggestions I went out and bought some! They seemed to do the trick for Winston also and he gobbles them up like they are the BEST thing ever. I on the otherhand tried a corner of one just to see what the plain unsalted ones tasted like (ive always gotten flavored) yeah I spit it out lol Not sure why he loves them so much but hey it worked that's all the matters!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=3652]Lauren31287[/MENTION] I think [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] nailed it when she said they taste like card board, and what do many of our bullies love to tear to bits??????????

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Thanks everyone! I came home and immediately shot some Lemon juice into his mouth the reaction was hilarious! I also talked to the vet and she mentioned the rice cake too! Like a midnight snack. We had thought about the loratadine but weren't sure if it was OK ;) not sure why we didn't join sooner! Thanks again everyone I'll keep you posted on his progress

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone! I came home and immediately shot some Lemon juice into his mouth the reaction was hilarious! I also talked to the vet and she mentioned the rice cake too! Like a midnight snack. We had thought about the loratadine but weren't sure if it was OK ;) not sure why we didn't join sooner! Thanks again everyone I'll keep you posted on his progress

Great news.... keep us posted

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston

Yes the faces they make from the lemon juice are pretty hilarious! Definitely keep us posted! :no:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Quick update, so I went home gave him the lemon juice, a midnight snack and a benedryl and low and behold there was no backfiring (reverse sneezing) all night long! He was a little snotty this morning but after he ate and got his dose of lemon juice we have had no problems!!! He did get to come to work with me today just so I can keep an eye on him but he is doing soooo much better! Thanks again everyone for the tips!!!
today.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.