Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Toe Chewing?

Matilda won't stop licking and nibbling on her own feet, especially the back toes. I just noticed that one has a pink sore, like she's gnawed it to the point of irritation (the sore wasn't there earlier). She's been doing this for probably a month now. I correct her and tell her to stop, but she does it all the time and really enjoys it. Like, she snorts like a happy piglet the entire time.

I'm worried that she's going to cause more sores/irritation and I don't understand why she's doing it. Growing up, I had a dog that did this out of anxiety, but Matilda never seems very anxious and she does it when she's perfectly relaxed - like when she's getting ready to go to sleep. Nothing is going on that would cause anxiety when she does it.

Any ideas? And how can I stop her?

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Toe Chewing?

Smell her feet, if they smell like CORN CHIPS, then its probably Yeast. Do a Search on PICKLED PAWS or ya can read it here

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...hlight=pickled

if it is a yeast problem, you might need a food change, and you definitely want to clean all of its bedding really good, and several times in the next several days.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

I didn't know they could develop yeast issues on their feet?? Thank you for that info!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Could be allergies, mii chews often. Think it is grass allergies with her.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Can be yeast but it could also be allergies to weeds, grass, something environmental that her paws are itchy. Wipe them when she comes in from outside and soak them once or twice a week in epsom salt / warm water to help with the itch
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Koozer
    Likes (Received)

It is so funny that you mention this because Koozer does the exact same thing! He does it often right before bed, almost as if its like he's sucking his thumb. He makes the same cooing or happy purring type sound. I try to stop him because I don't want him to cause any damage, but so far he's very gentle. He's been doing this for about 4 months now (he's almost 1yr/4months old). Definitely not an irritation or a yeast infection...just a self soothing thing I guess. Once you rule out any irritants, it very well could just be a "thumb-sucking" like Koozer

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

I had no idea they could get toe-yeast!! Ack!

Grass allergy is probably the cause... she tends to breakout on her tummy if she plays in the grass, so we wipe her down afterwards. I just never thought her feet would be so sensitive too! Thank you all for the tips, I will try it out!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    Matilda won't stop licking and nibbling on her own feet, especially the back toes. I just noticed that one has a pink sore, like she's gnawed it to the point of irritation (the sore wasn't there earlier). She's been doing this for probably a month now. I correct her and tell her to stop, but she does it all the time and really enjoys it. Like, she snorts like a happy piglet the entire time.

I'm worried that she's going to cause more sores/irritation and I don't understand why she's doing it. Growing up, I had a dog that did this out of anxiety, but Matilda never seems very anxious and she does it when she's perfectly relaxed - like when she's getting ready to go to sleep. Nothing is going on that would cause anxiety when she does it.

Any ideas? And how can I stop her?
    Lola chews on her toes when we feed her something she is allergic to, beef out chicken for sure. you might want to consider changing the protein in her food. i used douxo wipes on Lolas toes to clear up the itchies she caused by licking

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Remove Ads