Help Needed! Toe Chewing?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda won't stop licking and nibbling on her own feet, especially the back toes. I just noticed that one has a pink sore, like she's gnawed it to the point of irritation (the sore wasn't there earlier). She's been doing this for probably a month now. I correct her and tell her to stop, but she does it all the time and really enjoys it. Like, she snorts like a happy piglet the entire time.

I'm worried that she's going to cause more sores/irritation and I don't understand why she's doing it. Growing up, I had a dog that did this out of anxiety, but Matilda never seems very anxious and she does it when she's perfectly relaxed - like when she's getting ready to go to sleep. Nothing is going on that would cause anxiety when she does it.

Any ideas? And how can I stop her?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I didn't know they could develop yeast issues on their feet?? Thank you for that info!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can be yeast but it could also be allergies to weeds, grass, something environmental that her paws are itchy. Wipe them when she comes in from outside and soak them once or twice a week in epsom salt / warm water to help with the itch

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
It is so funny that you mention this because Koozer does the exact same thing! He does it often right before bed, almost as if its like he's sucking his thumb. He makes the same cooing or happy purring type sound. I try to stop him because I don't want him to cause any damage, but so far he's very gentle. He's been doing this for about 4 months now (he's almost 1yr/4months old). Definitely not an irritation or a yeast infection...just a self soothing thing I guess. Once you rule out any irritants, it very well could just be a "thumb-sucking" like Koozer:tongue:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I had no idea they could get toe-yeast!! Ack!

Grass allergy is probably the cause... she tends to breakout on her tummy if she plays in the grass, so we wipe her down afterwards. I just never thought her feet would be so sensitive too! Thank you all for the tips, I will try it out!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Matilda won't stop licking and nibbling on her own feet, especially the back toes. I just noticed that one has a pink sore, like she's gnawed it to the point of irritation (the sore wasn't there earlier). She's been doing this for probably a month now. I correct her and tell her to stop, but she does it all the time and really enjoys it. Like, she snorts like a happy piglet the entire time.

I'm worried that she's going to cause more sores/irritation and I don't understand why she's doing it. Growing up, I had a dog that did this out of anxiety, but Matilda never seems very anxious and she does it when she's perfectly relaxed - like when she's getting ready to go to sleep. Nothing is going on that would cause anxiety when she does it.

Any ideas? And how can I stop her?

Lola chews on her toes when we feed her something she is allergic to, beef out chicken for sure. you might want to consider changing the protein in her food. i used douxo wipes on Lolas toes to clear up the itchies she caused by licking

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online