Help Needed! Pinkish Neck

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Maybe I am being a paranoid doggy parent. Tonka has a really loose neck. So every time he drinks and eats his whole neck gets wet. I clean it whenever possible. But today I've started to notice it got a little pinkish. He doesn't scratch it or anything. But that part usually stays moist. I tend to wipe it and clean it after I see him drink water or eat. What do you guys think it is? Could apple cider vinegar help with this? If so, how would I treat it? I also took his collar off when he's in the house, hoping that would help. Thanks in advance.

PS: I might be posting a lot in the forum , being a newbie to this breed. I just get afraid of every little thing I feel might be wrong when it might not be a big deal. I am still learning. Thanks for understanding and helping a fellow english bulldog lover.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@jdotlim Oh that looks painful. Try to keep it dry it could lead to something worse. I try to wipe Fergus's chin and neck when ever I see him drink. Every night i wipe his chin and neck down with witch hazel pad. If I notice redness or bumps I will put some destin on the area helps to keep the area dry. You might also want to try Duoxo Pads (can buy thru Amazon) I dont use the duoxo pad every night only if I see a lot of pink or suspect yeast. I would also give him a bath and use a apple vinegar rinse it sounds weird but it really works. Leave the vinegar on do not rinse off let it soak in then towel dry him off after a few minutes.

Also make sure you are using stainless steel bowls and wash them once a day.

Hope he feels better soon Tonka is adorable.

Last edited:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Get a large Hamster Bottle - and mount it, teach him by putting him near it, and tap the spout of the bottle, and taking the water to his mouth, he'll get the idea :) just get a big enough bottle, it took us a bit to find one big enough for Hershey, I think we got ours at Tractor Supply,

Like this one...but find a large one. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/lixit-top-fill-water-bottle-with-valve-32-oz

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's hard to tell in the picture but is it raw? It sure looks like it. No that's not normal. Wilson's chin used to get quit rusty from drinking water until I started using filtered water from the fridge and changed their water bowl to a stainless one. I've tagged a few people that might be able to help too.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh and you post as much as you want too and make yourself at home, that's what we're all here for!!! We're not picky about repeated threads, so post away.

Welcome to EBN too.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am no expert, but this looks like the same thing that happened to my boxer about 18 months ago. What type or collar did you have on him? In our case he was allergic to the type of dye that was used on the cloth covered collar he was wearing at the time which caused redness and irritation and eventual fur loss at the site. It could also be that with his collar on and all of his wrinkles not enough air is flowing across his neck keeping it moist which creates a hot bed for a yeast infection. I hope you find out what it is soon so your baby starts to feel better and I am sure that someone who knows a lot more than me will be along soon.

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
Is that the only place she has these spots? My basset hound had spots that looked just like that on her neck, in her arm pits and on her belly. It ended up being allergies.
We had to have the allergy testing on her which is about 350.00, but we know what she is allergic to and she now gets a shot once a month for her allergies. She looks just like a normal doggy now. Check with your vet and see what they think about it. They may try pills at first and if that works that is good, if not, suggest the allergy testing.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Hi. That doesn't look like anything caused by water. I hate to say it but that baby needs to see the vet asap. He needs his neck shaved and an antibiotic like simplicef. Until then you should wipe the area with some peroxide and follow up with a cortisone cream.

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Is that the only place she has these spots? My basset hound had spots that looked just like that on her neck, in her arm pits and on her belly. It ended up being allergies.
We had to have the allergy testing on her which is about 350.00, but we know what she is allergic to and she now gets a shot once a month for her allergies. She looks just like a normal doggy now. Check with your vet and see what they think about it. They may try pills at first and if that works that is good, if not, suggest the allergy testing.

thanks everyone for your response. And yes. Only in that neck area. I feel like its from all the drool, water, and food mixed together. Maybe it bothers his skin. I am thinking of taking him to the vet today. Is it something drastic that I should see a vet? Or do you guys believe taking a bath for him and using apple cider vinegar will be ok? I feel so bad for tonka and hate to see anything get worst.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
this looks like a huge hot spot possibly. is the neck constantly wet? like even after you dry it if so thats what it is. reguardless this dog needs to go to the vet and probably get some anti biotics and some cream. i would get a vet visit as soon as you can get it. this could be the allergy issue i was suggesting the other day when you were talking bout the red paw. i would get some hibiclenz from the drug store and wash and rinse and dry the area well. this could be a food issue or environmental its hard to say but we can sort that out later. please keep us updated. @jdotlim

Last edited:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie gets her chin soaking wet too when she drinks and eats. I wipe it n dry it whenever she eats or drinks. Her chin gets a lil acne but her neck has never gotten like that. Please let us know what the vet said if you took him, n if he is better!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey there! I sure hope you can get this cleared up because it is probably very uncomfortable.

I would see the vet on this, it could continue to spread and I think it's beyond regular treatments. It could very well be a bacterial or fungal infection, or likely both! Malacetic ultra will probably help clear it along with a medicated shampoo, but it will be a lot of work on your part. 3 times a day cleaning along with medicated ointment like panalog.

Make sure to change water dish 3 times a day and wash bowls, if you are using plastic bowls change to stainless or ceramic. Plastic harbors bacteria even if washed.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thanks for all the help guys. Will be going to the vet today. Will keep you guys updated. Tonka thanks you all for the love and help as well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston's neck was red, but not as bad as your baby's. I started using the Douxo pads every night and it's gone down considerably. I use the stainless steel bowls too, mid changing his food to Fromms but I haven't tried the filtered water yet. Good luck & keep us posted :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online