cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate's been scratching his ear since very early this a.m...I woke up at around 3am to find him shaking his head and scratching his right ear. I took some soft Kleenex and cleaned out a bit of gunk from the ear, hoping this would help. But actually, he started shaking his head even more frequently and seemed uncomfortable. I gave him some Benadryl and after about 45min, he went back to sleep til breakfast time at 6:30am. So now, after work, I see he's shaking his head every so often and I took a tissue to his ear again and this time there's even more dark brownish/rusty colored gunk PLUS a little bit of blood! Not sure if it's from his scratching or if I rubbed the ear too much.

Poor thing also whimpered when I cleaned the ear so I know he's got some pain there b/c he's a tough boy and will hardly wimper unless he's really uncomfortable. I'm going to call the vet when they open tomorrow a.m. but anything I can do right now to keep him comfortable? He's still so playful and is eating/drinking fine. He still wanted to play "chase" and tug-o-war this evening. Hoping to see the vet tomorrow after work. Should I give him another Benadryl this evening so he can sleep and to alleviate the itchiness? Thanks for any help!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Is it yeast in her ear? I know Brie had a bad yeast infection when we first got her. She scratched n scratched n gave herself little boo boos on the inside of her ears. We had to take her to the vet, use ointment and ear wash. She hated it, I wash her ear out weekly n use gauze to get out the gunk n she runs away if she even sees the ear wash bottle.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Is it yeast in her ear? I know Brie had a bad yeast infection when we first got her. She scratched n scratched n gave herself little boo boos on the inside of her ears. We had to take her to the vet, use ointment and ear wash. She hated it, I wash her ear out weekly n use gauze to get out the gunk n she runs away if she even sees the ear wash bottle.

That's what I suspect tho I don't detect any odd smell coming from his ear. I'm dreading the meds I'm going to have to put in his ear b/c he just runs away from me too when he sees me coming with anything in my hands (unless it's food)!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Henny..try the witch hazel..just be gentle until you see if it hurts him! Dena has bad ears and often gets like Tate. The witch hazel ànd my finger help a lot! Just keep changing pads until its clear.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Becky, that's what I did use this a.m (witch hazel), and I seemed to get a lot of it out. That's why I was surprised to see a lot of build up again this afternoon when I got home. I'm sort of afraid to get in there again since he wimpered like that but i'll try and be more gentle. I tend to be a little too vigorous when cleaning him. He's asleep right now, thank goodness. I have these really soft pads I can use too. Fingers tho...ew, yuk! but some of that gunk did get underneath my fingernails today! [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Becky, that's what I did use this a.m (witch hazel), and I seemed to get a lot of it out. That's why I was surprised to see a lot of build up again this afternoon when I got home. I'm sort of afraid to get in there again since he wimpered like that but i'll try and be more gentle. I tend to be a little too vigorous when cleaning him. He's asleep right now, thank goodness. I have these really soft pads I can use too. Fingers tho...ew, yuk! but some of that gunk did get underneath my fingernails today! @JAKEISGREAT

Nooooo! I wrap pads around my finger! :ROFL: I just keep changing pads until its clear..I did it every day for a week then every other day..then every 3rd day and so on. Now I just have to do once a week! But..if he is hurting..I would let Dr. Garcia check him out..:(

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nooooo! I wrap pads around my finger! :ROFL: I just keep changing pads until its clear..I did it every day for a week then every other day..then every 3rd day and so on. Now I just have to do once a week! But..if he is hurting..I would let Dr. Garcia check him out..:(

okay, thanks for clarifying "the finger" issue! LOL.
I'll try gently cleaning him again with the witch hazel. I'll give Dr.Garcia's office a call tomorrow and get him in there this week just to be on the safe side, I think. Thank you!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry Henny. I love Tate. It's a good thing he's sleeping right now. Tomorrow the vet will take care of him. I'ms so sorry.

Last edited:
OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry Henny. I love Tate. It's a good thing he's sleeping right now. Tomorrow the vet will take care of him. I'ms so sorry.

Oh, thank u Phil! I just hate seeing any of my boys in pain/discomfort and want him all better! I appreciate your sweet words :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Poor Tate, Henny I cant imagine Tate running away from you not Mumma's boy I remember him sitting right next to you looking at you with sad eyes for some of that yummy food last November.:ROFL: I do hope it is nothing too serious for Tate, Ftse doesn't like drops in his ears either

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby. Hope Tate feels better soon. You can continue to keep his ear clean, and you could try some over the counter Polysporin ear drops from the drugstore, until you can get to the vets. I know some people give baby aspirin for the pain, but I'm not sure what the dose is, so I would ask the vet first, or maybe someone on here knows how much is safe to give to a dog. Good luck, and keep us posted on how he's doing. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What did the vet say, Henny!?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im late and dunno if you have been to the vets but you can put apple cider vinegar in the ear. here is what it said

A dog or cat with an ear infection will continually scratch at it's ear. They may also seem lethargic or simply not want to play as much. Dogs and cats with ear infections may become irritable toward other pets or humans. Upon inspection of the animal's ear you will notice an odor as well as a visible dark and waxy build up.
How do I use apple cider vinegar to treat my pet's ear infection?
You will need assistance with treating a pet ear infection as it will be painful for your pet at first. Have your assistant restrain the cat or dog. Clean the outer ear with a cotton swab dabbed in apple cider vinegar. Remove as much wax as possible without entering the ear canal. Now use an eye dropper to place a few drops of apple cider vinegar in the ear. Repeat daily until all signs of infection are gone.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online