aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hi everyone, poor Lola has been itchy, scratching her sides with her toes. thought it was itchy bum, and her sides were the only part she could reach. maybe that's so, but she's been at it so hard she's got two bleeding nipples and some rashes. maybe bites or rash first, itches second, you tell me! she did start roaming the backyard with some high grasses. i didn't give her advantage multi until last night this season and we're transitioning into venison raw nuggets instead of the beef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3eHaOcJtU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

uploadfromtaptalk1373330888070.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373330903463.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373330916707.jpguploadfromtaptalk1373330929440.jpg

help please! xoxo

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hey! Sorry for the itchies, poor Lola.:nope: But the itchies is something we deal with a LOT with Cleo since moving to IL, the grass here just does not agree with her one bit. I keep a shirt on her and she doesn't break through the skin or get her dirty nails in there to infect anything. Plus, it keeps the tall grasses off her belly so less itching there too! Just a few tips on how I try to handle Cleo's itchies, hope it helps you some.

DDeel

Jul 8, 2013
cecil county Maryland
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake and Raven
Hi my name is David I have 2 Bulldogs and both have had bouts of rashes and itchy skin until I found Organic coconut oil you can rub it in right on the rash and even put it right in there food, my Male Jake even started with a hot spot and lost his hair at the base of his tail so I rubbed it in twice a day and in a few days the hair started growing back. so I swear on it it really works, you can pick it up at GNC health stores.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does look like bug bites to me.... oh @Sherry... whatcha think?

Last edited:
OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hi again, thank you for your responses! i have Lola on Benadryl, and i cleaned her up with hydrogen peroxide, douxo and polysorin last night and this morning. today after work it doesn't look like she's been at them like crazy but the itching tends to happen at night. she wakes up at 1:30 and 4am on the button with hysterical itchiness. i hate to drug her in the middle of the night, mostly because i have to get up and get cheese.

it might be bug bites, we've been trying to grow grass in the backyard so we haven't cut it at all, and for the first time she's been roaming around back there with all the buggies. I'll keep you posted.

on another better note, Lola had this HUGE bald spot on her side that was not mange, alopecia, or from scratching. vet said food allergies and we've been through a few proteins. as soon add she ate a few wild salmon nuggets, bald spot GONE!! crazy, i thought that spot would be bald forever

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
2013-07-17_19-13-22_578.jpg2013-07-17_19-12-41_701.jpg2013-07-17_19-13-15_666.jpg2013-07-17_19-07-35_659.jpg2013-07-17_19-06-38_969.jpg2013-07-08_19-42-40_40.jpgOk, itchiness is now back with odd bumps, possibly interdigital cyst? Gave Lola a bath, changed the duvet cover since she spends lots of time there, but kept her on the venison raw NVI patties for now (she's just off beef). She keeps itching her side, where there is a rash and now a scratch mark... And she tends to chew her toes, which might be the reaction or the cause, but is that a cyst?? I warm compressed it and added polysporin. But I duoxo her paws at least twice a week, and I've been douxo-ing her belly where the rash was/is every couple days as well.

I really hope its not a staph infection, its way too hot to take lola to a vet this week.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hi again, thank you for your responses! i have Lola on Benadryl, and i cleaned her up with hydrogen peroxide, douxo and polysorin last night and this morning. today after work it doesn't look like she's been at them like crazy but the itching tends to happen at night. she wakes up at 1:30 and 4am on the button with hysterical itchiness. i hate to drug her in the middle of the night, mostly because i have to get up and get cheese.

it might be bug bites, we've been trying to grow grass in the backyard so we haven't cut it at all, and for the first time she's been roaming around back there with all the buggies. I'll keep you posted.

on another better note, Lola had this HUGE bald spot on her side that was not mange, alopecia, or from scratching. vet said food allergies and we've been through a few proteins. as soon add she ate a few wild salmon nuggets, bald spot GONE!! crazy, i thought that spot would be bald forever

The salmon will help if it is alopecia, the oil is good so is melatonin. [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] For her paws, it does look like cyst, epsom salt foot bath will help -- they are allergy driven and it could be from the wet grass or an ingredient in the food. My boy, it was rice and grass.... my girl it was chicken

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I agree it does look like a cyst. Soaking her feet in chlorhexidine (ask your pharmacist) which you can get over the counter at Walgreens, Walmart etc. will help it heal faster. After soaking apply topical triple antibiotic ointment or mupircin antibiotic ointment. If she will let you applying a warm wash cloth several times a day will help also. It will most likely pop like a pimple. If getting up in the middle of the night isn't working why don't you try going off of the benadryl and give Lola Claritin instead (not Claritin D) you only have to give 1 tablet every 24 hours. Her scratching during the night is all it could take to keep that area inflamed. The rash on her belly and feet may be a reaction to the grass. Keeping the grass shorter may help the belly. Wiping her feet each night when she goes to bed with a cotton ball and witch hazel can help sooth the itch also.

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I will update when i get home from work...before I left I gave her benedryl, compressed the cyst with warm epsom salt water a few times, and hit all her rashy areas and the cyst with some polysporin. walking home shortly, hopefully she's not a bloody mess. poor thing :(

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
ugh, cyst is still there, but it doesn't seem like she scratched much during the day. going to keep with the warm compresses on the cyst, hubby wants to pop it.. rash is still there, with some raised bumps that look like pimples. mostly under her arms. i keep antibacterial stuff on them, and i feel bad drugging her but its also keeping her calm during this heat wave. i freaking hope its not a staph infection. i google too much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.