Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Vet Confuses Me...Opinions Please!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Vet Confuses Me...Opinions Please!

well thats alot of stuff. i would thing only one surgery would be needed and um sounds to me like they are going to remove some of his folds on his face. wtf? cysts are usually food related and seems like you have kinda discovered that with them going down on the food your feeding. sarah had them for years till i narrowed down her allergies. with bullies its find their protein and then work out from their. the butt scooting could be anals or tp problems or just allergies. i would surly get another opinion from a vet before i get all that stuff done. perhaps just a blood allergy test which is cheaper. its not perfect but will help narrow things down.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Shahster

Yes, this is the second vet I've taken him to. The first vet just said that Otis needs surgery, they don't perform that surgery there, and that it should be a one time thing at the animal hospital.

Take him to an ophthalmologist if possible, if he does need surgery you will want the best person possible for the job. It might cost you a little more but the risks are considerably lower when an expert does it.

Right now, Otis is eating ground beef and boiled sweet potatoes and his paw looks SO much better. I gave him some of his kibble (Fromm pork and peas) and there's definitely something in there that's triggering his cysts. Can he eat ground beef/sweet potatoes forever? I'm afraid he's missing out on some nutrients. I soak it in epsom salts and sometimes apple cider vinegar.

Sound to me like he may be sensitive to pork or the peas. @[replacer_a] 's sarah is allergic to peas so it's very possible Otis is too. My Otis is sensitive to pork. I would stick with the rice and ground beef for a little while to settle his system then start adding a little bit of another protein source in there to see how he reacts. If you like Fromm they do make other flavors. [replacer_img]

I'm pretty sure the scooting is because of an infection. I had my old vet express his glands in April, but the scooting persisted. So I went to petsmart to express them again, and she said Otis has an infection. The vet looked in his tail pocket and mumbled something whoever clipped Otis' tail did a bad job and basically said whatever is irritating his paw, is irritating his tail pocket. I'm 100% sure it's infected it smells horrible and there's a certain spot that really hurts him all of a sudden when I'm cleaning him. Why wouldn't she give me some sort of cream for him?

"whoever clipped his tail"?????? Really? [replacer_img] Do Otis a favor, find a vet with some bulldog experience please lol This lady sounds like she has never met a bully in her life.

ALSO, I looked at the wipes she sent me home with and they're just surface cleaner/disinfectants. For his paws...? Is that normal?

Can I ask the name of the wipes she sent you home with? A lot of folks here on EBN love the Malacetic wipes for cleaning. You should be able to buy them at the pet store, if not Amazon sells them pretty cheap. You can try to gently clean his tail pocket yourself with some witch hazel on a gauze pad then maybe squirt some Gold Bond powder up in there to help keep it dry. If he is very sensitive to the touch in that area you can spray him with some Lanacane to help with the pain. This should start to help him until you see a vet for antibiotics.

Thanks for your help!

Datz wut we hear for!
    Last edited by Twice; 07-09-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: my linkys were broken :(

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

@Twice

My next step is making an appointment with an ophthalmologist. I really don't like the fact that hemight require more than one surgery for his eyes. I'd rather have someone do it right the first time. I'll stick with what I'm feeding him for now, he does well on salmon too. So I just have to find a grain free one for him.

He was using malacetic wipes on his paws and she sent me home with a big tub of "Accel Prevention" wipes. It looks more like a disinfectant for medical equipment. She said it's better for him because it provides more oxygen to kill the bacteria (or maybe vice versa). I've been using witch hazel and gold bond on his tail, so hopefully it starts to kick in soon.

I'm going to go through the vet recommendation post to see if there's a bully vet in Toronto for me.

Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You can use the malacetic wipes in this tail pocket too.

Here is the drugs.com listing for those Accell Prevention wipes..

http://www.drugs.com/vet/accel-prevention-rtu-can.html

scroll to the bottom. It's like using Lysol on poor Otis put those things under the sink to clean the bathroom with

10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    You can use the malacetic wipes in this tail pocket too.

Here is the drugs.com listing for those Accell Prevention wipes..

http://www.drugs.com/vet/accel-prevention-rtu-can.html

scroll to the bottom. It's like using Lysol on poor Otis put those things under the sink to clean the bathroom with

Are you kidding me?? What kind of a vet is this?? Wow. I'll just keep them to clean up my place with. Thank you so much for showing that to me.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    wow. People walk in with a bulldog and vets really do see dollar signs!
    No truer words spoken

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Holy Cow!!!!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    No truer words spoken
    Well, in all fairness the first half of the listing is veterinary uses

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Shahster try Fromm Beef Fritatta. also, the cyst are most like allergy elated. Banks had them till I got chicken out of her diet and Nitschke had them till I got rice out of his diet. I had the blood screen allergy test done and those tow item were both listed as very high.... once those were removed neither of them never got another cyst.

Twice gave you awesome info on everything -- best of luck and keep us possted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads