Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parvo or maybe poisoned is it ok for my dogs to be around this dog?

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Parvo or maybe poisoned is it ok for my dogs to be around this dog?

As many of you know I live in apartments and people around here don't seem to take their animals for shots. Both my girls have all their shots but the dog in question lives in the same building and walks his dog the same area we do and the dog either has parvo or has been poisoned. I don't really know the owner to well but when I was walking in from my car I asked him if his dog was ok and he said he thought he has parvo, so my question is since my girls have had their shots will they be ok going potty on the same lawn and going up and down the same steps? Thank you!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Parvo or maybe poisoned is it ok for my dogs to be around this dog?

I would not chance it, it is very contagious, to my knowledge....even with the vaccine doe not take the chance of your babies getting it. Parvo is very serious and if not treated the pup could die.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Emily and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

important step that should be taken by anyone who has a dog that has been infected with parvo is informing neighbors. Neighbors with dogs should be told that your dog has contracted parvo. Since parvo can be spread from dog to dog in addition to bring spread through feces and soil, neighbors dogs may have become infected simply by walking their dog on your grass. Share any information that you have learned about parvo with these neighbors and prompt them to have their dogs tested for the virus. Many people are afraid that their neighbors will be upset and as such they avoid notifying them. You should keep in mind however, that if a neighborhood dog has contracted parvo, your notification could be the only thing that gets them treatment before the virus causes too much damage.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

I agree I wouldn't take that chance even though they have been vaccinated! I would politely tell her the dog needs to see a vet ASAP! Hope all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

That dog could die in a matter of hours, if he thinks it's parvo, you need to tell him to go the vet NOW!

As for your babies, I'm *pretty* sure that dogs over a year old are no longer at risk for parvo, especially if they've been vaccinated. Also, it's passed orally, so it's more about sniffing and sticking their face in the infected areas than just passing through. Unless they're pups and haven't gotten all their shots yet, they should be okay.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I personally would not chance it.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Winston tested positive for Parvo when he was younger, but we believe he actually had Giardia. He had gotten another Parvo vaccine several days prior to the test, but we still were freaked out... Our Vet treated him for Parvo & Giardia and Thank God he was fine in a couple of days!!! Parvo is nothing to mess around with, PLEASE let your neighbors know... it's a horrible and sometimes fatal virus. I also read that it can live in the ground for years around any fecal matter by a sick dog. I hope that he takes his sick pup to the Vets soon!!!

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

My neighbors have never taken their dog to a vet and their dog has not had any shots, they were outside smoking so I went and talked to them. I told them the dog needed to see the vet ASAP! My youngest bully Lucy it litter box trained and Lola has went in their one time and that is it but maybe she will have to learn that too! Also I have a little deck outside my back door and I took a lid for one of those plastic totes and turned it upside down with a potty pad on it for them to use.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't chance it either. That area needs to be bleached and stayed away from. That poor dog. Please keep your babies safe!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't take the chance either Jenni, better to be safe even thou you are sensible and have the shots for your girls.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    My neighbors have never taken their dog to a vet and their dog has not had any shots, they were outside smoking so I went and talked to them. I told them the dog needed to see the vet ASAP! My youngest bully Lucy it litter box trained and Lola has went in their one time and that is it but maybe she will have to learn that too! Also I have a little deck outside my back door and I took a lid for one of those plastic totes and turned it upside down with a potty pad on it for them to use.
    Can I just say I don't like your neighbors?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    I live in an apartment too, and a huge concern was what to do with Tilly before she had all her vaccinations. I ended up purchasing a Pet Loo. It's fake grass and I put it on my balcony. It smelled terrible but was easy to clean (you just have to clean frequently) and worked very well! I recommend it, if you're looking for something that resembles outside grass so as not to confuse the pups with potty pads. You can also use potty pads as a liner (under the grass portion) for the Pet Loo (I hadn't tried that, but great option for keeping it clean!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads