Parvo or maybe poisoned is it ok for my dogs to be around this dog?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
As many of you know I live in apartments and people around here don't seem to take their animals for shots. Both my girls have all their shots but the dog in question lives in the same building and walks his dog the same area we do and the dog either has parvo or has been poisoned. I don't really know the owner to well but when I was walking in from my car I asked him if his dog was ok and he said he thought he has parvo, so my question is since my girls have had their shots will they be ok going potty on the same lawn and going up and down the same steps? Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not chance it, it is very contagious, to my knowledge....even with the vaccine doe not take the chance of your babies getting it. Parvo is very serious and if not treated the pup could die.

brwneyes6269

Jan 5, 2013
Union, South Carolina, United States
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Caroline and Piper
important step that should be taken by anyone who has a dog that has been infected with parvo is informing neighbors. Neighbors with dogs should be told that your dog has contracted parvo. Since parvo can be spread from dog to dog in addition to bring spread through feces and soil, neighbors dogs may have become infected simply by walking their dog on your grass. Share any information that you have learned about parvo with these neighbors and prompt them to have their dogs tested for the virus. Many people are afraid that their neighbors will be upset and as such they avoid notifying them. You should keep in mind however, that if a neighborhood dog has contracted parvo, your notification could be the only thing that gets them treatment before the virus causes too much damage.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree I wouldn't take that chance even though they have been vaccinated! I would politely tell her the dog needs to see a vet ASAP! Hope all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
That dog could die in a matter of hours, if he thinks it's parvo, you need to tell him to go the vet NOW!

As for your babies, I'm *pretty* sure that dogs over a year old are no longer at risk for parvo, especially if they've been vaccinated. Also, it's passed orally, so it's more about sniffing and sticking their face in the infected areas than just passing through. Unless they're pups and haven't gotten all their shots yet, they should be okay.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston tested positive for Parvo when he was younger, but we believe he actually had Giardia. He had gotten another Parvo vaccine several days prior to the test, but we still were freaked out... Our Vet treated him for Parvo & Giardia and Thank God he was fine in a couple of days!!! Parvo is nothing to mess around with, PLEASE let your neighbors know... it's a horrible and sometimes fatal virus. I also read that it can live in the ground for years around any fecal matter by a sick dog. I hope that he takes his sick pup to the Vets soon!!!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My neighbors have never taken their dog to a vet and their dog has not had any shots, they were outside smoking so I went and talked to them. I told them the dog needed to see the vet ASAP! My youngest bully Lucy it litter box trained and Lola has went in their one time and that is it but maybe she will have to learn that too! Also I have a little deck outside my back door and I took a lid for one of those plastic totes and turned it upside down with a potty pad on it for them to use.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I wouldn't chance it either. That area needs to be bleached and stayed away from. That poor dog. Please keep your babies safe!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I wouldn't take the chance either Jenni, better to be safe even thou you are sensible and have the shots for your girls.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My neighbors have never taken their dog to a vet and their dog has not had any shots, they were outside smoking so I went and talked to them. I told them the dog needed to see the vet ASAP! My youngest bully Lucy it litter box trained and Lola has went in their one time and that is it but maybe she will have to learn that too! Also I have a little deck outside my back door and I took a lid for one of those plastic totes and turned it upside down with a potty pad on it for them to use.

Can I just say I don't like your neighbors?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)

I live in an apartment too, and a huge concern was what to do with Tilly before she had all her vaccinations. I ended up purchasing a Pet Loo. It's fake grass and I put it on my balcony. It smelled terrible but was easy to clean (you just have to clean frequently) and worked very well! I recommend it, if you're looking for something that resembles outside grass so as not to confuse the pups with potty pads. You can also use potty pads as a liner (under the grass portion) for the Pet Loo (I hadn't tried that, but great option for keeping it clean!).

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I went and got a fake potty today and line it under the fake grass so maybe it will be easier to clean. So far Lola is doing good and Lucy is litter box trained so its no different for her but I did spray the training spray I had left from when Lucy was a puppy on the grass so they would be attracted to go potty on it. I really am concerned about that dog and I went and talked to the lady in the office because this is a pet friendly community there are other dogs that walk the same area so she is warning everyone. Im sure I made them mad but I don't care. They are one of those types that never would pay for a puppy and never would pay for a vet either the dog makes it or it doesn't. I have to say when I lived in my small home town in the middle of nowhere I was used to hearing of people not giving there pets shots but in a City you think more people would do it but I guess I was wrong! Im still not sure if it is parvo or not but im not taking the risk, the dog is throwing up and has the runs so even if it isn't parvo it may be something that can pass so its better to be safe than sorry.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I went and got a fake potty today and line it under the fake grass so maybe it will be easier to clean. So far Lola is doing good and Lucy is litter box trained so its no different for her but I did spray the training spray I had left from when Lucy was a puppy on the grass so they would be attracted to go potty on it. I really am concerned about that dog and I went and talked to the lady in the office because this is a pet friendly community there are other dogs that walk the same area so she is warning everyone. Im sure I made them mad but I don't care. They are one of those types that never would pay for a puppy and never would pay for a vet either the dog makes it or it doesn't. I have to say when I lived in my small home town in the middle of nowhere I was used to hearing of people not giving there pets shots but in a City you think more people would do it but I guess I was wrong! Im still not sure if it is parvo or not but im not taking the risk, the dog is throwing up and has the runs so even if it isn't parvo it may be something that can pass so its better to be safe than sorry.

I'm really sorry... where I live most people could careless either, and it's really sad. People will get their dogs rabies shots, but that's about it... and God help us if an animal is diabetic or sick. They will be put down in a heartbeat. I had a diabetic cat for 18 years, and I had family members tell me that I was being cruel to my baby because I was giving him insulin twice a day!!! I hope that they take that poor baby to the Vets soon...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

great decision.... so not worth the risk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.