ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel has horrible hyperkeratosis of her nose. It gets really bumpy and ugly. I have been given Biobalm by the vet to use on it, which she hates. The vet said the dead, bumpy skin will scrape off. I noticed after we brought her home from the vet's last weekend that they had scraped the gunk off her nose and it was soft and normal-looking. Has anyone had to do this? What's the best way? I'm so afraid of hurting her. I am going to ask him when we go in for her follow-up next weekend, but thought I'd check with the experts--the members of EBN! :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..Jake's nose gets terribly dry..and he has lost a couple pieces..but it always is normal and smooth under the old. I put his snout saver on constantly..he has now figured out how to rub it off into my rug! :cursing: it's a constant battle..but I have never had it all scraped off :eek: nor did I know it had an official name!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YIKES.... never knew it was scraped off. Nitschke's nose was always dry/brittle... I just used a warm wash cloth to remove the flaking pieces and then put Vaseline on it

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
YIKES.... never knew it was scraped off. Nitschke's nose was always dry/brittle... I just used a warm wash cloth to remove the flaking pieces and then put Vaseline on it

This is how it do it, gentle rubbing back and forth in the nose with a warm damp wash cloth.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Lucy's will get dry and crusty and I just out some Vaseline on it and in a day or so the dry stuff will come off and it will be nice and soft.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks guys. I learn something new about these dogs every day! I will try the warm damp wash cloth.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea's nose is horrible in this way. She won't let me keep anything on it. Whatever goes on, just as quickly goes OFF on the rug, her bed, the couch, whatever's handy. Bo too. :shout:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarahs gets dry and crusty and ive noticed that it depends on her allergies as to how dry and how crusty. if her allergies are under control its wet and black and smooth if not then its crusty and yucky. i just put vaseline on it but alot here use snout soother and say it works great.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We use Aquaphor found in the baby supplies dept of Walgreens. Its made for baby butts...... bully nose, close enough!!!! ;)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
After applying the softener for about three days, it becomes nice and soft and easy to remove, I just use my thumb nail and then apply a nice coating of the vaseline or snot soother . They don't like it much either, but they do like the nice soft smooth nose afterwards

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We use Aquaphor found in the baby supplies dept of Walgreens. Its made for baby butts...... bully nose, close enough!!!! ;)

I use this as well! Paw pads too! :up:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm with [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - I use Aquaphor on Linus' nose and it works great!

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
After applying the softener for about three days, it becomes nice and soft and easy to remove, I just use my thumb nail and then apply a nice coating of the vaseline or snot soother . They don't like it much either, but they do like the nice soft smooth nose afterwards

I think this is what the vet had in mind. I have started using the balm that he recommended and use a warm moist wash cloth like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] recommended about an hour later. Her nose is softening up and starting to look healthy. Just another reason to hide when she sees me coming. :) I really wish Bill would take on some of this so I'm not the only bad guy. I can hear it now--"but you're a nurse!" :mad:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.