Patches of hair missing?

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
Hey all, so in the last week our lovely Ivana has started to lose spots of hair on the top of her back! I took some pics but now I cant find my usb cord. First thought that cam to mind is mange but I looked up some info and it could be a million things! So anyways I sent a message to our breeder (as she is not ours) to let her know and am waiting for a reply today to see what she would like to do about it. I will post a pic if I find that cord! Anyone experience anything like this? :confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You are right, it could be so many different things. Mange, fleas, allergies, fungus, stress, diet..... poor Ivana. Is she itching? The only real way to know is to go to the vet and get scraped. Yes, please find that cord, pictures tell a thousand words!

OP
bbstubbles

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
No she really isnt itching soooo I am stumped lol I am on a mission for the cord! lol

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I agree with desertsky, it could be lots of things. My friends pitbull Xena started getting bald spots, they didn't itch, the spots didn't appear to be irritated, discolored or anything like that, just a bald spots. When she took Xena to the vet it was mange. Other than that I don't really have any experience with this. I hope its something minor!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
You are right, it could be so many different things. Mange, fleas, allergies, fungus, stress, diet..... poor Ivana. Is she itching? The only real way to know is to go to the vet and get scraped. Yes, please find that cord, pictures tell a thousand words!
I agreea bald patch could be anything

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Wow! Poor baby! I have only seen this twice...once with Silva's bully mom after she had her pups and was stressed and the other was at the pet store and a bully had some grooming done at a local groomer and had gotten fleas and then the fur came out in patches. I hope you figure out what it is soon !

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Bella got bald patches shortly after her enzyme medication, she had gained weight so fast (doubled in size the first month) The vet took many scrapings and it ended up being stress related. After a couple weeks it all cleared up. It was stress related due to the quick health and weight change.
Here is a photo of it

IMG_2501.jpg

But to be safe, you should really go and get it checked. They may do a scraping to eval under a microscope for mites. I hope it is nothing.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
does it look like this? its right above my middle finger, if so then its mange :(

Photo1349[1].jpg

OP
bbstubbles

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
So for right now we have her on a around of anitbiotics! Her breeder sent a script to walgreens for us. It's only been a cuople days since we started but the "spots" dont appear to be "irritated" as before. Got a pic finally! If it doesnt get better soon I will be sending her back as the breeder would rather take her to her own vet, which I understand.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
does it look like this? its right above my middle finger, if so then its mange :(

View attachment 4302

I think Bella has been getting these....she will have areas that are at different spots at times. They are like scabs and then when I pick them, they leave a bare red area. then they show up in another place. She only has one or two at a time. and if left alone, the "scabs" seem to get bigger. I thought maybe a bug bite of some kind, but now I am beginning to wonder. Would I need to dip her?

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] i would take her to get looked at and get her scraped our vet charges about 55 for visit and scrap.... our vet says the only reason for a dip is if its out of control. since we have taken him in pretty early of them appearing he has given us some cream to put on it once a day and some anitbiotics twice a day, if it keeps spreading while on meds then a dip might be neccessary.. dips are really expensive so i would ask if yall could do anitbiodics and cream first. good luck!!

[MENTION=21]bbstubbles[/MENTION] if its not as red and its not spreading then you might keep her on them for another week... when lex first got it, it was around his eye he was on the antibiotics and cream for 2 weeks then the vet wanted lex on it for another week to make sure it was gone completly. good luck!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.