Canine influenza vaccine

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
I still haven't found a vet I'm thrilled with :nope: The one we're taking Lucy to for now has boarding and grooming. I called Monday as I wanted Lucy to have a bath, nail trim, and the works as I'm busy prepping for a holiday gathering here tomorrow. They said in order to be groomed or boarded they require the influenza vaccine.
We live in Kansas which is not a state with reported canine flu (only at dog tracks, which we won't be racing Lucy anytime soon:D

I understand requiring certain other vaccinations, especially kennel cough. I didn't make the appointment because I wanted to do more research and not feel pressured. This afternoon Lucy will get her bath and nail trim from Moi.

so, how do you feel about requiring this vaccine. I think it's a good way for them to make an extra hundred. Am I being too cynical?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is really up to you... just like humans with the flu shot. But, if she is going to be kenneled I undestand the reason they require it. But to just get groomed -- not making much sense. Rabies is all that is required for grooming, at least in PA> If my pup was to stay over or go to daycare I would do both kennel cough and flu shot.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Lupe had a bad reaction to a bordatella vaccine. When I say bad, Im talking heavy congestion in her lungs and nose. She basically GOT the flu b/c she either picked up a different strain where we boarded her or got it from the vaccine.

The only time I've boarded since then was in Utah while camping and the folks there were wonderful. They had many stories about the vaccine's ineffectiveness etc. They were happy to have her unvaccinated (for bordatella) and even suggested a homeopathic bronchial relief spray if Lupe ever had congestion in the future.

Just my experience. I know there are probably multiple opinions about this. You might try saying "my dog had a bad reaction" and see if they give you a pass, and if not, shop around if you can. But I don't know. I imagine this issue changes regionally, so maybe it's more important to have where you are.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I still haven't found a vet I'm thrilled with :nope: The one we're taking Lucy to for now has boarding and grooming. I called Monday as I wanted Lucy to have a bath, nail trim, and the works as I'm busy prepping for a holiday gathering here tomorrow. They said in order to be groomed or boarded they require the influenza vaccine.
We live in Kansas which is not a state with reported canine flu (only at dog tracks, which we won't be racing Lucy anytime soon:D

I understand requiring certain other vaccinations, especially kennel cough. I didn't make the appointment because I wanted to do more research and not feel pressured. This afternoon Lucy will get her bath and nail trim from Moi.

so, how do you feel about requiring this vaccine. I think it's a good way for them to make an extra hundred. Am I being too cynical?
I'm with you...i think like it's another way to get that dollar from us......i myself don't even take a flu shot......imo they are not good for us....but that's another story.......:whistle:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I know everyone will have a view. My vet actually recommended against the flu vaccine. Very aggressive about others, but not that one. Reason? Said that they were not convinced it did any good, and a lot of dogs -- especially bullies -- had bad reactions.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The bordatella we do, but with a pup or young bully I would get the shot, as it has caused some to get pneumonia. The flu shot we have not done.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I did research on the flu shot and wrote a post, it's in one of the forum sections.

The conclusion, it's not that effective in prevention, is really just another money
maker for Vets and most Vets DO NOT rec'cmd giving it, especially to bullies.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Bortadello ..yes! Flu...no! I have never been even asked this from my vet. I know if you went to Petsmart for grooming, you do have to show proof of Bortadello and rabies..but not the flu!

OP
shobbsie

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Thanks for the feedback. I feel that it's not necessary right now. I noticed they had a sign in front offering the flu shot the times I've been there. I was just surprised it was required before they groomed. I wasn't real comfortable before I found out the requirement, the receptionist said they, "groom one other bulldog", and seemed impatient with me when I asked several questions about their grooming process. The search is on. A neighbor told me the groomer at a vet the next city west (about 40 miles) has two bullies and a frenchie. I'd drive further to insure my girl is being taken care of.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.