Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So, I live in Texas and my vet gave Petunia Trifexis...before I came to this site and heard the horror stories about Trifexis and Petunia would spit out the Trifexis anyway...even when I tried to give it to her in a wad of Peanut Butter! Who says EBDs aren't smart????

Anyhow, now she is not on any prevention and I wanted to know if anyone here could recommend a product for it? Or if anyone knows of a holistic repellent,etc?

Thanks to all in advance!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use sentnel for heartworm/fleas......

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
This the first year i stopped putting anything on Forde for fleas, ticks , heartworms etc........it scares me but i don't feel that it's good for him ( my opinion only, not meaning to offend anyone that uses the products) i read up on it and do several things, i purchased brewers yeast with garlic tablets for dogs, i boil lemons to make a lemon oil to spray on him, add lemon juice to his water, purchased several essential oils that i found out to be good for warding the pest, lavendar, lemon grass, eucalyptus, rosemary , there are so many you can pick and choose a few , then added an almond base oil to them ....it really smells good.....so far it works....haven't seen anything at all ( knocking on wood in hopes it continues) good luck with what ever you choose!

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We are using Sentinel with Harlea and our other dog. We had my ridgeback on Triflexis for years until I read the article on this site and immediately made the change. Harlea takes the Sentinel with no issues as to her she thinks it is another treat.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
We use Trifexis for both of our dogs. No problems at all. No fleas or ticks either.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
We use Sentinel with Koozer. He does very well on it. I would definitely prefer a wholistic approach, but the heartworm just scares me too much. Good luck with whatever you decide for your baby.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I certainly don't want to offend any either but I definitely would not depend on any alternative or holistic substitute for the prevention of Heartworms. If you live in an area where the mosquito population is practically nigh except for a few weeks or so then maybe you could consider but otherwise you are taking a huge risk. There are no alternatives, not internally or external repellents that are as proven as the pharmaceutical heartworm medications. Yes they all pose some risk, and are all toxic to one degree or another as all parasite medications are, but the alternative, to have a dog contract heartworms is taking too big a gamble in my opinion. It only takes one mosquito carrying the heartworm larvae to infect a dog.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
There are no outward signs or symptoms if your dog has been infected with heartworm. Not early on at least. They can go several months, nearly a year and you would not know they have been infected. And then, if their blood hasn't been tested for heartworms in the meantime and treatment rendered, it can be too late.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
As much as I dislike treating my dogs with heartworm medication, and with fear and trembling I do so each month [ and so far Ace has been on Trifexis and has shown no ill effects from it] yet even though I dislike doing so I could not in good conscience withhold it. The two most widely prescribed heartworm medications have been proven to be very effective in preventing heartworms. I doubt many of us that treat our dogs with these medications are not at least a bit reticent when doing so, not only are they sometimes dangerous but they are expensive as well, but these medications have been proven to be extremely effective. In the area in which I live there are no credible alternatives period.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Most Reactions