Help Needed! 8 year old female Bulldog starts panting around 8 P.M. & walks around whimpering & panting most of the night.

sewtater

May 6, 2011
Lola is an 8 year old bully and some nights she will be panting a lot & is real restless & won't lay down & go to sleep. Some nights she is fine but lately it has been terrible. She sleeps a lot during the day & she has no panting during the day. I feed her around 4:30 P.M. & bedtime is anywhere from 9-10 P.M. She always wants a dental bone or a regular dog bone before bedtime. But usually around 8 she starts this panting & crying. It's not hot, our climate is usually in the low 50's at night. She walks around with this problem & we tell her to lay down & she will for a few minutes still while panting then it's back to walking around. Normally she gets up on the bed & likes to sleep between my legs & she will sleep most of the night. But when she gets in to this panting & crying she won't settle down. Sometimes we will give her a few pieces of dog food to settle her down but she is gaining weight from that, so I don't like to do that. She will roam the house & find different spots to lay at but she can't seem to control the panting. Do Bullies get "hot flashes" by any chance? I wish she could talk to tell me what is wrong with her. If any one can help or knows what is causing the "night pants" I would appreciate any suggestions so she & I can get a good nights sleep. Thank you.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I googled this yesterday for a person in my bulldog seizure group and this is what I found. There are several reasons why it could be happening. If it's not heat related it could be

Infection
toxin
Anxiety (fireworks)
obesity (any extra weight)

A member had this to share....Our first bully, Tonka, started panting for, what we thought, was no reason. He would pant, while our second bully, Mack, would not. He didn't do it all the time but it did get progressively worse.
We kept the house like a meat locker, always kept fresh water with ice cubes in his bowl, had the fans going all the time, had a fan directly on him, we even bought our SUV because it had rear air and his comfort was a factor etc...we couldn't figure it out and neither could our vet. It didn't seem like a big thing because he seemed so healthy and we thought he was just hot natured.
Fast forward, I'm not exactly sure how long it was but we ended up, at the ER Vet, Tonka was panting like crazy and his tummy was protruding (it was filling with fluid).
To make a long story short, over the next 3 weeks my husband and I tried to move heaven and earth, went back and forth numerous times to UGA and GVS but ultimately lost our boy.
Tonka had a slow growing chondrosarcoma that they believe started in his trachea, and as it grew, eventually started putting pressure on his heart and finally infiltrated it. We lost him during the biopsy procedure
The tumor was sneaky, he never had any issues except for the panting, never showed up on any x-rays and even during the 3 weeks we tried to save him, was extremely difficult to see because of their build. I think if we had known to, maybe look in that direction we may have caught it before it was too late.
We now have complete body ultrasound and x-rays, done every 8-10 months, for both our boys. If something is there, we want to know right away.
This may not be your situation but maybe have someone check his heart

So if you can't find a reason and it won't stop, please consider asking your vet for help. Keep us updated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As stated.... have her heart checked, but also look into her spine/back.... Banks does this at times and we found it was due to her back issues. Nitschke also did this and as in the situation Libra926 posted, we found out too late it was his heart.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great advice...if dogs pant & pace at random times, they are uncomfortable,
in pain or anxious and need to be vet checked. Check back with us, will keep
her in prayer...GOD bless!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with the others, she definitely needs to see the Vet. And if there has been what appears to be a dramatic weight gain or weight loss this could also be a symptom of heart disease. I won't alarm you any more with speculation but she needs to see the Vet asap

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
We adopted a 10 year old bully in January who pants ALL the time, turns out she had heartworms when we adopted her! She is currently being treated for them but because worms are in her heart, her heart is working harder which is causing the panting! It doesn't help that she is overweight either, but she isn't allowed to do any form of exercise while she is on her treatment (lasts 3 months total!) because as the worms die off, they can cause serious clots or can cause the worms to travel to the brain or lungs! I would definitely make an appointment to the vet to see what's going in. Please keep us posted!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Lola is an 8 year old bully and some nights she will be panting a lot & is real restless & won't lay down & go to sleep. Some nights she is fine but lately it has been terrible. She sleeps a lot during the day & she has no panting during the day. I feed her around 4:30 P.M. & bedtime is anywhere from 9-10 P.M. She always wants a dental bone or a regular dog bone before bedtime. But usually around 8 she starts this panting & crying. It's not hot, our climate is usually in the low 50's at night. She walks around with this problem & we tell her to lay down & she will for a few minutes still while panting then it's back to walking around. Normally she gets up on the bed & likes to sleep between my legs & she will sleep most of the night. But when she gets in to this panting & crying she won't settle down. Sometimes we will give her a few pieces of dog food to settle her down but she is gaining weight from that, so I don't like to do that. She will roam the house & find different spots to lay at but she can't seem to control the panting. Do Bullies get "hot flashes" by any chance? I wish she could talk to tell me what is wrong with her. If any one can help or knows what is causing the "night pants" I would appreciate any suggestions so she & I can get a good nights sleep. Thank you.

Any news on Lola?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Oh dear, I hope she's okay. Keep us updated.

Most Reactions