Help Needed! Does anyone recognize this

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Aunt Clara has a dry lump on the top of her head and has lost the hair there as well. It seems to be growing slowly. That said, our Boston did have doggie herpes in recent months. This doesn't look the same to me, but I'm not sure what it could be.
e5e2e2yj.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372800428693.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372800428693.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hot spot maybe? Let me get some experts here!
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
no thats not a hot spot being dry lump and hair loss but im not sure what it is. perhaps time for a vet visit. maybe someone else knows what it is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If it is dry, then it is not a hotspot... too big for staph infection .... hopefully Sherry will know or maybe Lisa [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
She had had a couple if hot spots in the past. This is definitely not one if those, not oozy out anything. Seems almost like a callous except there is nothing rubbing it as its on the top of her head, and it's gradually getting bigger. Is it possible it's a reaction to a bug bite? It started about two and a half weeks ago and looked a little reddish at the time, so I kept it clean and put Neisporin on it. Irritation went away, but not the bump.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She had had a couple if hot spots in the past. This is definitely not one if those, not oozy out anything. Seems almost like a callous except there is nothing rubbing it as its on the top of her head, and it's gradually getting bigger. Is it possible it's a reaction to a bug bite? It started about two and a half weeks ago and looked a little reddish at the time, so I kept it clean and put Neisporin on it. Irritation went away, but not the bump.

I'm stumped, unless it is an abscess or some type of mange. Vet visit for sure

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Look into hystiocytoma which is totally spelled wrong!! Just off the top of my head. Could also be a wart, clogged hair pore causing abcess... That's all I can think of!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holy :poo: I spelled it right! I think that's probably what it is, have your vet check it to make sure it's benign.

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Yeah, looks like she's going to have to see the doc. If I could get an educated guess on what it could be I could try to treat it in the meantime. I know antibiotic ointment isn't fixing it, and she seems to be completely oblivious to it so I don't think it itches or anything.

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
I don't think it's a histiocytoma as it is nit as bulgy as the pictures I could find, and not really red, more scaly/dry and raised.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:hmm: please keep us posted so we can learn along with you

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't think it's a histiocytoma as it is nit as bulgy as the pictures I could find, and not really red, more scaly/dry and raised.

Yes, it does not look as red but it is new right? remember google pics show the worst cases, I've seen them posted that look more pink too. Warts are also common, it could even be an insect bite. I sure hope its nothing too bad and let us know what you find out from the vet.

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
[MENTION=7026]matzwd[/MENTION] hi there. Mia recently had a red spot on her belly so I had done a little research. Hers went away in a few days, and there was no hair loss. Her's just turned out to be a black fly bite. With the hair loss a factor in this situation I'm thinking possibly ringworm. Is it anywhere else?

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
No, Karen, just right on top of her head. I think you might just have hit the nail on the head too. I googled ringworm, and it certainly looks like the descriptions and the photos. I think I see some slight pinks around the periphery under the hair that remains around the bump. I think I'm going to try some miconazole too see if it starts improving.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Morning, I'd be suprised if that's the only spot, check the paw/ leg area for signs of thick skin, it looks like a form of dermatitis . Pyoben shampoo and benedryl to dry it up. but check real close for other raised thickened areas fo skin. feet/legs and near the tail too
Please keep me posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.