Luca doesn't eat enough

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Ever since we brought him home (at 12 weeks old) Luca has never eaten all his food. No matter what brand we give him, no matter if we mix it with treats or yogurt or cheese or wet food.... He always just eats a portion of his first meal and then usually most of his dinner. Sometimes if he doesn't touch his breakfast at all I'll give him extra at dinner time in which case he won't eat it all. I've never heard of a puppy or a bulldog period that doesn't finish their food. He ends up taking in only about 2 cups of food a day. He is very lanky and lean now at almost 10 months Old. The vet says his weight is good and healthy but he stopped gaining when he hit 50 pounds. He eats treats with no hesitation but we limit his treats rigidly. Anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions on getting my boy to gain a little weight? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372798119.144354.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He doesn't look thin to me at all. He looks about the same as Buster did at 10 months and he hit a plateau sort of at 10 months to 12 months where he wouldn't go past 46 pounds and he would eat 10 bowl fulls if we would have let him but would have probably thrown up about eight of them, Luca is helping to avoid this prob for you.:) Buster's 14 months and weighed in at 51.7 yesterday.

Someone will be along shortly to help out with this but I said it before and i'll say it again HE looks like a show dog to me Mike!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
WOW, he actually looks great in that pic of him. You don't want an overweight bully, as they can be unhealthy and it shortens their life. Buddy used to do that when he was younger. When he was a pup, he ate like crazy, then one day, he just didn't want much anymore. He maintained his weight at 56 to 58 lbs. from age 2 till about 6 months ago, which now he is 60 lbs. and we need to get him down to 58 lbs. He is 4 years old now. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he is eating and drinking water. Your pup will look lanky until he gets over one year of age, then he will start to fill out. Bullies first grow up and tall, then the second year grow out, or widen out and his head will get bigger. Just be patient, he will get there. Buddy was a very picky eater until he was 3 1/2 years of age when we had him neutered. Now he loves food, and we have cut back a little on his food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..Jake inhales his food..but can't eat more than 1 cup at a time..he gets soft :poo: if I even go over 1/4 cup. He has always gotten 2 cups a day..weighs 54 lbs and is very active! Your boy is not done yet..his 2nd year he will fill out and widen. They ALL go through a lanky stage. If you've ever looked at the big wall charts in the vets office..Bulldogs are supposed to average 40-50 lbs..they aren't meant to be those porkers you see that can barely move and breathe! I think Luca is perfect and will be when he's done! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He looks good, and 2 cups a day is a good amount too. Eventually as he ages the weight will start sticking-- and then you'll be thankful he's not a glutton!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Thank you all so much. I feel better. It's when he doesn't eat at all is when I get nervous.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Amy isn't a big eater either. She seems to take forever to finish a cup of food at each meal, and often leaves some of it.
She isn't too skinny, yet she's growing fast. She's around 26 lbs and only a little over 4 months old, so we are hoping she slows down some soon.
Her vets want her on the slim side to help not stress her hips as much as if she was overweight would.

Kimmy

Jun 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hurley Who MaGoo
I healthy bulldog should have a visable waist. Hurly has had two inguinal hernia repair surgeries.. first one at 5 weeks second on her 1st birthday .. I keep her wait at 45 lbs .. if she falls off a little I give her a half a peanut butter sandwich in her kong for her to play with while we watch tv at nite. If she gets a little over we just play more.

I think he looks awesome too .. bulldogs do not need to be big and rolly polly like they were as babies. The lighter he is the easier it is for him to play and enjoy himself.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree he look really good... and 2 cups a day is perfect. Our boy, never went over 58 pounds and he was 7 when he past. He hovered between 55-58 most of his life.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.