Banks... UTI first in a long time

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, we knew something was bugging her and on Thursday, but more so on Friday it finally showed it's ugly head. She pee'd in the house -- Thursday we thought it was just due to the continuing construction at the house next door. Then she did again on Friday, but this time the odor was just awful and if you even experienced a UTI, oh Lord do you know that smell.

Our vet thinks we caught it early, but she will be on antibiotics for 10 days due to all her previous UTI's that just lasted a very long time. so, I asked, with her being a senior and coming up on her 8th birthday... is this going to be common again for her. He asked the standard questions... and determined the UTI is most likely due to how wet and long our grass is due to all the recent rain we have been getting. Banks does sit really low when doing her thing, so I have to make sure I wipe her after every potty pee or poo. I have alwaays done a butt wipe after poo due to her tail being so tight, but never thought to wip her 'girl' after every pee..... no biggie just a wipe to keep it away, I am all over it.

Here she is doing one of her favorite things.... sun bathing

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Aweeeww poor baby girl Banks, she's so stinkin pretty , I just love her coat.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww Christine...I love her..attitude and all..I don't know if I can call her a senior though. I hope she gets better fast and if anyone can keep it from returning...her best Bully Mom can..:)

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Awe, she's such a pretty girl!! And she knows you're out to fix what's wrong.

So, I groom Lupe's lady parts every evening with witch hazel, but now reading your post I'm thinking I should just wipe after each pee if I can. We've had all sorts of UTI probs, but reeled it in with food changes, a surgery... My husband's in the process of fashioning a sterile urine-collecting device, so I can monitor Ph...we've had some comical results so far!

But also, I've started using a cranberry relief product (a powder) for both my dogs one week a month. It has some other immunity supplements.

She'll feel better soon with the antibiotics. As you know, there are some experts around here when it comes to the complicated world of recurring UTIs so I'm sure more folks will be along to help. Anyway, good luck!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awe, she's such a pretty girl!! And she knows you're out to fix what's wrong.

So, I groom Lupe's lady parts every evening with witch hazel, but now reading your post I'm thinking I should just wipe after each pee if I can. We've had all sorts of UTI probs, but reeled it in with food changes, a surgery... My husband's in the process of fashioning a sterile urine-collecting device, so I can monitor Ph...we've had some comical results so far!

But also, I've started using a cranberry relief product (a powder) for both my dogs one week a month. It has some other immunity supplements.

She'll feel better soon with the antibiotics. As you know, there are some experts around here when it comes to the complicated world of recurring UTIs so I'm sure more folks will be along to help. Anyway, good luck!

I am, unfortunately, all too familiar with the world of UTI's. Banks had them constantly for her first two years... she needed a vulvaplasty done to stop them. She just had too much skin and the area just could not 'breathe'. we then had to adjust her diet and she went a good few years without any.... this is her first in quite some time, I really can't remember her last, but had to be well over a year. We recently moved into this new house and the dirt, mud, and high grass is just messing with her and I have to make sure I keep her 'girl' as clean as I do her butt and folds.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw christine im glad your are "all over it" as im sure our girl will be better soon. hugs to banks and you :hug:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Darn it! I'm so sorry about all this. Poor thing has to be cleaned every day the same day her and her daddy won. Hugs and kisses to Banks from Buster and me.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hope she gets over it soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts