General Question fungus - how long does it take to treat?

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
Hi,

Madame has a few circular lesions in her skin which, said the vet, is known as ringworm, caused by a fungus. I am giving her weekly baths using antifungal shampoos (I m not sure if it isn t too often....), applying topic medication and she is taking a tablet prescriped by the vet. we are following this treatment for 3 weeks and the hair started grow again just in a few spots. the others are still the same. Do you know if it s normal taking so long to get better? Do you know if there is anything else I can do?

Thanks!

Carol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes sometimes fungal infections are very hard to kill, what is the tablets she is taking, what kind of shampoo and what is the topical stuff?

In addition you can use a vinegar rinse, add about 4 cups of white vinegar to about 2 inches of bathtub water after she is rinsed completely of shampoo. Douse her with the rinse.

Sounds like she is improving slowly, at least it's not spreading. So that's good.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I took Aubie to the vet today because we thought her demodex was back, but the vet thinks its ringworm. Our vet said that it may start to look a little worse before it gets better. She's taking an antibiotic, antifungal shampoo, and we're supposed to do some bleach treatment that we leave on after her bath - 1 part bleach 9 parts water.... but I may take Lisa's vinegar rinse idea instead. I just don't like the idea of bleach if I can help it.

I know it took forever for her demodex to get better, so I'm not sure if its the same with ringworm or not since they both cause hair loss.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I took Aubie to the vet today because we thought her demodex was back, but the vet thinks its ringworm. Our vet said that it may start to look a little worse before it gets better. She's taking an antibiotic, antifungal shampoo, and we're supposed to do some bleach treatment that we leave on after her bath - 1 part bleach 9 parts water.... but I may take Lisa's vinegar rinse idea instead. I just don't like the idea of bleach if I can help it.

I know it took forever for her demodex to get better, so I'm not sure if its the same with ringworm or not since they both cause hair loss.

Bleach?! Yikes I wouldn't do that....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes fungus can be very hard to get rid of. you can also put apple cider vinegar n water on the spots and some put acv in their dogs drinking water but i use just a tad or she wont drink it. what did they give you to put on it and to take orally. also perhaps a probiotic or some yogurt to help get the flora back in balance.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Bleach?! Yikes I wouldn't do that....

Yes, bleach!! The two vets at this clinic that we like were off today, so we got one of the two others that we can't stand. I was just too shocked to argue, so once again, I head to EBN. She just got a antifungal bath... with a vinegar rinse.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, bleach!! The two vets at this clinic that we like were off today, so we got one of the two others that we can't stand. I was just too shocked to argue, so once again, I head to EBN. She just got a antifungal bath... with a vinegar rinse.

I'm just thinking of when I make a bucket of water with just a capful or two of bleach, it's like slime and takes forever to rinse off.... No way would I ever soak my dog with it. It's antibacterial I know, but just never occurred to me to use it like this on one of my pets!

I cleaned one of my crates with a bleach spray and wiped it off with water after, maybe not a lot but not sure....Next day poor Mandy had a bum burn on anywhere her skin came in contact with the tray. No more bleach spray for me unless I take it outside and rinse with a hose first!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.