Can my bulldog have ibuprofen? He is teething!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not sure about ibuprofen offhand but baby aspirin is ok. I give a tablet of baby aspirin if needed to my 35 pounder so I would halve or quarter depending on how big your baby is.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
No, do not give Ibuprofen (aka, Advil or Motrin), b/c it is toxic to dogs. Same with Acetaminophen (Tylenol). You can give your pup an ice cube to chew on to help relieve the teething; or get a hand towel, soak it in water, then twist in a longish/rope like fashion, and freeze. Allow Knuckles to suck/chew on that to help w/the pain.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, no Ibuprofin is not safe for dogs, an either is Tylenol. I've read that baby aspirin is okay to give according to the weight of the dog, but having said that, it's always better to ask your vets opinion just to be safe.

Ibuprofen for Dogs

there are actual dog asprins available .u can get them at a grain store or pet store. baby asprin is ok but remember that the dosage is VERY important.

No, dogs should not be given Tylenol or ibuprofen.

Here is more input from others:

* Absolutely not! Don't give any medications to your dog unless the vet has prescribed it.

* No. I know you can give a dog buffered aspirin (Bufferin) for pain but it is best to contact your vet about how much to give. P

* NO. I killed my daughter's little dog by doing just that. Just a little bit of ibuprophen shuts down the kidneys.

* There are kinds of painkillers for dogs. Try this with the recommended dosage but a little lower. also DEFINITELY ask a vet. However, if your dog has eated some by accident definitely go take it to the vet to see if it needs its stomach pumped and whatnot.

* I would give aspirin, which is often given for rheumatic conditions in dogs and is considered safe for them (but not for cats - it is poison to cats). Dosage has to be carefully controlled of course, and a vet will advise. In the UK veterinarians are not allowed to prescribe human medicines for animals unless there is no animal equivalent. My dog needed painkillers for arthritis, and the stuff for dogs was very expensive. The veterinarian said to me "I'm not allowed to give you the stuff, but I can't stop you doing it yourself. Give him half an aspirin with his meal." (He was a big dog). It worked just as well as the proper dog stuff, was 100 times cheaper and easier to give as well.

* Let's look at this from a slightly different angle. Would you take medicine that a vet prescribed for your dog? No? Well, why not? Because it might not be a good choice for a human? Well, there you are. Ask a vet, or at least someone who is experienced with animals. Medicine prescribed by an MD to keep a person alive might kill someone else. Unless you know what you're doing with medicine, ask someone who does.

* Dogs can safely take aspirin; one baby aspirin (81 mg) for every 10 pounds; 4 baby aspirin equals one adult aspirin (325 mg).

* NO! Ibupofin is very toxic for dogs. The others are right, give baby asprin. Nor can you give Tylenol.

* I have a X beagle that is 11 yrs old now and weight 45 pounds,and 2 years ago my vet diagnose him cushing disease and arthritis to hip. He could not give me any affordable solution, the only solution was euthanasia but before doing it I had to try something, so I try different painkiller and anti-inflamatory (aspirin, tylenol, advil,celebrex,vioxx, prednisone). The most efficient of all was advil (ibuprophen), 1 pill in the morning with meal (to avoid stomach disorder) and it help him a lot and it extend his life for more than 2 years now, but I have to admit that he is coming close to the end now and I dont think that it would be good for him to try to increase the dose. When it s too suffering, for his benefit it s better to end it, but anyway he get 2 more years to his life and most important of all, with a good quality of life.

* Trust your vet, but don't ever exceed the dosage he or she recommends. Dogs can take anti-inflammatories just as humans can. Most animal and people medications are the same compounds, just different amounts.

* I have a 14 lb. miniature Poodle that is now 9 years old. He has taken 50mg on occation with no problems. A few times he was given 50mg every 4 to 6 hours for 2 days due to a bad tooth and still had no adverse reactions what so ever.

* My dog, bichon frise/westie, is 11 YO and very itchy. Get inflamed. Tired and scared of too much cortisone. Gave him a small portion of my ibuprofen and I decided to take the other part. Both of us seem to be happier (I'm 75 and have some arthritic pain). His inflamation on his body went down immediately and itching not as bad. I feel better, seems to improve my well-being. I don't like take meds but this is hard to believe. Hope it sticks.

* I killed my daughter's dog with ibuprophen, 1 tablet. It shut his kidneys down.

* PLEASE do not give your dog ibprofin or advil or tylenol. My lhasa apso died because she got into my advil. I asked the Vet if there was any she could have after we were putting her down because i was told it was ok. They said never give a dog people meds before talking to a Vet. It is too hard to loose a dog.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
my vet said baby aspirin was ok i give sarah one when she needs it. she is 47 pounds. not sure at what age you can start giving this though so maybe ask your vet.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
No to ibuprofen and yes to aspirin. .

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No, do not give Ibuprofen (aka, Advil or Motrin), b/c it is toxic to dogs. Same with Acetaminophen (Tylenol). You can give your pup an ice cube to chew on to help relieve the teething; or get a hand towel, soak it in water, then twist in a longish/rope like fashion, and freeze. Allow Knuckles to suck/chew on that to help w/the pain.

Great advice here Ed, poor Knuckles. Give him a kiss from me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have sated.... no. Baby asprin...

wandjest

Jul 12, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus
I have also given my dog 1 gel Advil 2-3 times a week (she ways 58 pounds). Some vets do actually say it's ok in small doses. It is night and day with my dog... the ibuprofen works. Again, I don't give it very often, and my English Bulldog is close to 13 so I'm not looking for long term relief. It doesn't upset her stomach, nor her appetite, nor her stools. Check with your vet though. I gave it to mine right before euthanizing her....2 years ago.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I wouldn't give aspirin or anti inflammatories to a puppy, just use the frozen toys as mentioned above or frozen Nylabone puppy chew toys such as Nylabone keys

For adult dogs:
Aspirin can be given in doses 10-25 mg/kg every 8 to 24 hours. It can cause a stomach bleed, so a safer anti inflammatory that you may have in house would be meloxicam 0.1 mg/kg every 24 hours. Galliprant would be a much safer anti inflammatory that you would have to get from your vet.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
But why you want to give him NSAIDS at all? Teething is not a sickness, and the best help is to give him frozen toys to chew. It's just itch in their gums, not real pain. In this case dangers outweigh benefits.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Never give Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen which is the active ingredient in Motrin and Tylenol. This is deadly to dogs. You can safely give a plain baby aspirin for pain, but I would only give it if absolutely necessary.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.