General Question Question regarding supplements/vitamins

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I have Lily on a joint supplement for some time now. (Dasuquin w/ MSM)
She is a year and a half and doing great.
I have been thinking about giving her something more because I home feed her. ( She does get kibble occasionaly)
Should I do a multi-vitamin plus her joint supplement or do a all in one such as Hardy Pet Complete?
I'm a little confused because the Hardy Pet doesn't have the MSM & Glucosamine.
I can't give her salmon oil because she is allergic to slamon.
Any info would be great.

Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Joint supplements should be given in addition to a regular supplement. I would definitely add in a daily supplement if you are home cooking. Many here use Hardy pet or Nuvet plus.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
going to tag a few users that home feed and may have advice for you
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Punks gets a half table of glucoseamine, the Glycoflex I brand, daily to help with his achy joints. For the initial 30 days though, he got 1 whole pill. All the instructions are on the bottle.

Stiggy's a little younger and doesn't get the daily glucoseamine as of yet. It's more so because we follow the less is more route. But many here do give their bullies glucoseamine daily ... and I have been contemplating lately if he should start on one. Nevertheless, the Glycoflex brand is highly recommended by my vet because of the added Dasuquin or MSM (or maybe both??? Sorry, can't recall exactly what but I know it's one of the more complete formulas in comparison to other brands).

Oh, can you give her another type of fish oil? I know there are some out there that doesn't have salmon in them.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I think a multivitamin pill in is order if you're home cooking for her. MSM & Glucosamine are not considered essential, that is why all multivitamin don't have them.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would also feed a separate vitamin if you are giving a joint med. nuvet is used alot or just get one from petco or petsmart. sarah is on a joint med that has flaxseed already in it plus vit c and e its called overby farms hip flex and they have 3 stages.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Punks gets a half table of glucoseamine, the Glycoflex I brand, daily to help with his achy joints. For the initial 30 days though, he got 1 whole pill. All the instructions are on the bottle.

Stiggy's a little younger and doesn't get the daily glucoseamine as of yet. It's more so because we follow the less is more route. But many here do give their bullies glucoseamine daily ... and I have been contemplating lately if he should start on one. Nevertheless, the Glycoflex brand is highly recommended by my vet because of the added Dasuquin or MSM (or maybe both??? Sorry, can't recall exactly what but I know it's one of the more complete formulas in comparison to other brands).

Oh, can you give her another type of fish oil? I know there are some out there that doesn't have salmon in them.

Thanks for the info! Regarding the fish oil without the salmon do you know if that's in pill form or liquid form?
And if I give her the fish oil would I still need to do a multivitamin? Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I bet [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] has some recommendations for you!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm in Europe, so we don't get the same products here and to tell you the thruth I think your's in the states are much better than what we get here...when ever I can and find a suitable product I order from abroad...I'm feeding raw for my bullys and I'm using Aptus Multidog for my Usko, cause he can't eat any organs.
If Nuvet would come without brewer's yeast, I would get that.

what multivitamin would you recommend? Anything besides Nuvet & Hardy Pet?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have Lily on a joint supplement for some time now. (Dasuquin w/ MSM)
She is a year and a half and doing great.
I have been thinking about giving her something more because I home feed her. ( She does get kibble occasionaly)
Should I do a multi-vitamin plus her joint supplement or do a all in one such as Hardy Pet Complete?
I'm a little confused because the Hardy Pet doesn't have the MSM & Glucosamine.
I can't give her salmon oil because she is allergic to slamon.
Any info would be great.

Thanks!

Since you are home cooking you absolutely should add a multi vitamin. NuVet is a great option, a lot of people here use that. I personally like Vetri-Science Canine Plus. The description from their website is...

Vetri-Science® Laboratories’ Canine Plus Bite-Sized Chews are a complete multi-vitamin/mineral formula that also includes digestive enzymes and fatty acids to support dogs of all ages and all breeds. Specifically formulated with a balance of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, digestive enzymes, antioxidants and other factors, Canine Plus Chews are designed to help maintain the overall physical well-being of your dog. For rapid conditioning of sick or post-operative dogs and the maintenance of optimal health in other dogs and puppies of all sizes, breeds and ages, Canine Plus incorporates over 55 synergistic factors not always found in ordinary dog foods or supplements. The inclusion of water and fat soluble vitamins like A, C, D and E and a complete Stress B complex helps to support general immune system, cardiovascular, and circulatory and mental health, while digestive enzymes support proper utilization of factors from the diet. Omega 6 fatty acids support skin and coat health, and antioxidants support the immune system

As for the fish oil, there are options other than salmon oil. You can use a Pollock oil like I do or an Omega oil made from anchovies and sardines.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for the info! Regarding the fish oil without the salmon do you know if that's in pill form or liquid form?
And if I give her the fish oil would I still need to do a multivitamin? Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me.

The fish oil is in liquid gel cap form. So I puncture the cap and squirt the fish oil on their food. Omega-3s are great for their joints too, as I've read here.

Twice and the others gave you great advice. I feed raw and only give fish oil daily. But then again, the boys get bovine colostrum powder whenever it's 'beef' day. It's sorta like a vitamin that helps boost their immune system.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Since you are home cooking you absolutely should add a multi vitamin. NuVet is a great option, a lot of people here use that. I personally like Vetri-Science Canine Plus. The description from their website is...

Vetri-Science® Laboratories’ Canine Plus Bite-Sized Chews are a complete multi-vitamin/mineral formula that also includes digestive enzymes and fatty acids to support dogs of all ages and all breeds. Specifically formulated with a balance of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, digestive enzymes, antioxidants and other factors, Canine Plus Chews are designed to help maintain the overall physical well-being of your dog. For rapid conditioning of sick or post-operative dogs and the maintenance of optimal health in other dogs and puppies of all sizes, breeds and ages, Canine Plus incorporates over 55 synergistic factors not always found in ordinary dog foods or supplements. The inclusion of water and fat soluble vitamins like A, C, D and E and a complete Stress B complex helps to support general immune system, cardiovascular, and circulatory and mental health, while digestive enzymes support proper utilization of factors from the diet. Omega 6 fatty acids support skin and coat health, and antioxidants support the immune system

As for the fish oil, there are options other than salmon oil. You can use a Pollock oil like I do or an Omega oil made from anchovies and sardines.

Twice, thanks so much for great advice. Vetri-Science Canine Plus sounds like something I would like to try.
I going to look in to it tonight after work.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online