Other Remi DID hurt is his leg. I'm sure now.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hi gang - hope you're all doing well. I just wanted to pop in and let you know what the heck is going on with Remi.

Long story short - and I promise I'm actually going to try to do just that - Remi hurt his leg a couple of months ago. Symptoms included a yip in pain, sitting funny, holding it up for like 5 minutes, and then all symptoms went away. The animal hospital nor the vet could see anything wrong with it. We crate rested him for a strict 2 weeks.

After, symptoms still existed - the biggest one being the fact he would sit down really quickly at times and lift his leg a little - but I realized Remi was shaking his head a lot and/or trying to scratch it. I brought him in to the vet, and that's when I realized he had an ear infection. He's been on some medicine for about 12 days. He's very good about letting me do it, and you can definitely see it's clearing up.

Today Remi and I were playing. (Okay, he was playing; I was trying to get the bed he was destroying out of his mouth) and somehow he hurt it again. He made a little yip and wouldn't put weight on it for about 1 minute. Then he seemed fine but when he sat, he held the hind leg more to the side.

Even after the ear infection is clearing up, he still does the butt scoot thing. I'm thinking his leg bothers him and he sits down quickly to comfort himself. It's so hard to tell. I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and get him an xray. I feel silly, because every time I bring him in, the doctor says his leg is totally fine. But I'm seeing it with my very eyes - gotta trust my gut that something is amiss.

Anyway, that's where we are. I gave him some pain meds and he is just resting in his crate for now. To top it all off, we're going away tomorrow night and he will be staying in the kennel for the first time ever. I'll try not to cry the whole time :cry::p

Last edited:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
See if you can get a video of the strange behavior that is indicating that something is wrong with his leg to show the vet.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Aw, my heart goes out to you! Trust your gut, maybe an x-ray will pinpoint the problem? For sure it sounds like something isn't right (maybe a sprain is re-occurring and hurting?)....
and I will be thinking of you this weekend! I haven't been able to kennel my guys yet - we haven't gone anywhere together without them. I am sure Remi will be perfectly fine while you are away! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Trust your gut for sure, these guys get a burst of adrenaline when visiting the vets and it can seem like they are 100% cured!

When Yuna had that obstruction, she was vomiting, moving slowly, peeing on herself, and I swear the morning I took her into the vet-- when I insisted that they cut her open to find our what was wrong or she was going to die, she was so weak and lethargic.

At the vets she was running around wiggling her butt and looking for pets.

They sure even mentioned how she hardly looked like she was dying. I said yes but she was not like this at home, plus look how thin she is! (She lost about 10 pounds). They also told me her weight was perfect lol

Getting it on video is a great idea. Seeing the problem in action really makes a difference.

Give Remi a kiss from me :luv:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would def. go with your gut! It does sound like he could have torn something. They can't know without an X-ray. The cartilage can rebuild itself around say, an acl tear and help hold it in place but then it is still torn. Problem with waiting, or the biggest problem would be that he could be over compensating by putting extra weight on his other leg causing permanent damage to that one as well. When you get X-rays, have them do both legs. Cuttys first vet trip only did one leg and when I got my 2nd opinion, his new dr said he needs both because this is a problem. Or also often times the hurt leg gets hurt because they were already over compensating from a previous injury on the other leg that you didn't realize. Also, you don't want the cartilage build up either. Poor remi. :( I hope it turns out to be something little. On a side note I LOVE your avatar picture. :heart:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with the others on trusting yourself and your observation and the video advice as well. We know our own dogs behavior better than anyone else and when something doesn't seem right we can tell it even when others, even experts like the vet may miss it. If nothing else the x-ray would alleviate your stress if it comes back negative and then you could look for some other cause

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Trust your gut for sure, these guys get a burst of adrenaline when visiting the vets and it can seem like they are 100% cured!

You are so right. The animal hospital vet said, "Bulldogs have a very high tolerance for pain and he's so worked up and excited, he could be masking it from me."

I'm going to try to video tape it. I never seem to have my phone handy. I'm going to really try to keep it close. Thanks, [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION].

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am beginning to feel like a massive hypochondriac!! :eek:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hope they figure out what's wrong with him so he can get better.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Awweee Jane, sorry to hear about Remi's leg. Sure was hoping you had good news after that 2 week rest. He's such a handsome little man, one of my fav's .

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
See if you can get a video of the strange behavior that is indicating that something is wrong with his leg to show the vet.

EXACTLY what I was going to say!!! :yes:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending love & comfort to you & Remi, will be praying the problem
is found and easy fix. Yes, trust YOUR instinct, Moms (and Dads) know
their babies.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Sorry to hear about Remi's leg! Is it a back leg or front? (I may have missed that if you mentioned it.) Have you checked his paws/pads/nails? It could be something as minor as a crack in a pad or a hangnail!

Oliver went through something similar with symptoms that would go away and come back, limping after running, etc. He began with a luxating patella which eventually led to a torn ACL. (Now, I'm NOT saying that is what Remi has!) Typically, with the torn ACL, a vet can feel through the knee (without X-rays) to determine if it's a tear. Oliver had TTA surgery for his tear in May 2012 and while it wasn't the easiest to go through recovery, it was needed and we made it through just fine. If for some reason it is a tear, I have a whole thread on here documenting Oliver's TTA surgery and his entire recovery. Feel free to hit me up if you need to but I am sending POSITIVE vibes that Remi will be just fine and it will be something minor. HUGS!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Really hope you are able to get it on video.... we had to do it once with Nitschke. ALWAYS trust your gut when dealing with your baby... no one knowes them like you do.

Keep us posted :hug; to you and Remi

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.