when should i fix her?

booba

Mar 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
booba
i have 6 month old English bulldog veterinarian told us it is the best time to fix her at this age, but the breader who we got a puppy from told us to let her develop and to do it when she is two years old. What to do, should I do it at all?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If you have no intention at having pups...YES! By all means have her spayed. It is far healthier for her and you do not have to deal with ALL that ones must..with a female in heat! When ...is a much debated question. I will tag a few people with this experience.
@desertskybulldogs.. @Davidh... @Sherry...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

For all spaying I recommend you have a preliminary appt with your vet first to make sure she does not have a tight vulva. Many females do, and going through a heat cycle helps it develop. A tight vulva can lead to bacterial infections and reoccurring UTIs. If her vulva is normal than you can get it done anytime.

I would not wait too long however, she can have her first heat any day. Like tomorrow even!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally agree with Becky. My vet also recommended spaying my Blossom at 6 or 7 months, before the first heat. If you are not planning on breeding her, it is much better for their health, as each time a female who is not being bred goes into heat, it increases the risk of cancers, especially breast cancer in the female. Also you will avoid the mess of her going going into heat , and getting her period each cycle. My vet also told me that if she goes into heat, you then have to wait 3 months before you can spay. I spayed my female at 7 months, and then a week later I had her brother Bulldozer neutered. I found they both settled down a lot after their surgeries , and Dozer stopped humping as well, and became much calmer.

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
How long did it take your Dozer to calm down after he was neutered? My Dozer is going to be neutered soon. Right now he's constantly trying to hump my Pug.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Females should normally be spayed before their first heat. Some believe males should be neutered at 2 years so that everything drops in properly, if you get my meaning.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's always the million dollar question, and you will get different answers, some vet recommend doing it before and some recommend a couple months after. Our bully vet recommends a couple months after. It always makes me nervous to do it at 6 months because you sure don't want to do it as she starts her heat cycle, so if you want to do it now, I'd get it done soon.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have to agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] going through a heat cycle is a pain in the butt, no pun intended

OP
B

booba

Mar 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
booba
thanks, is it expencive? also in general should I get health insurance for her? what is the best company?

OP
B

booba

Mar 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
booba
also is that true that she will not grow as big and all?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
also is that true that she will not grow as big and all?

No it is not true ;-) we spayed our girl at 6 months -her growth rate haven't stopped and another thing is she will grow only as big as her genetics ;-)

Emma0511

Sep 30, 2013
NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
My little Emma is 7 months old this week, we are having her spayed next week. What should I expect? Any recommendations to make her more comfortable? Will it change her personality?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My little Emma is 7 months old this week, we are having her spayed next week. What should I expect? Any recommendations to make her more comfortable? Will it change her personality?

She will most likely sleep fo the day/night you bring her home, but after that they tend to be the exact some pup so, you have to make sure to keep her calm until the stiches come out. They will most likely give you a cone, but you won't need it as most Bullies can not reach the area.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.