Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The past few days I have noticed a white "crust" on the dog poops. They seem dry and brittle. The only major changes in the past month is of course the heat, it's over 100 degrees everyday. I changed to pork & peas last month so don't think that's it. However, I do notice a huge decrease in the amount of stool since the switch.

Google searches come up flat because I don't raw feed or have not given any bones. I do understand its decomposing a calcium deposit. Thinking maybe I need to add some wet food or water when it's so hot out to ensure they are getting enough moisture for digestion. I don't want them constipated.

My question is should this worry me? From reading it sounds like its not a bad thing. Just want to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
As a raw feeder I would not be worried. Less poo means better digestible food, less goes to waste. Pork and peas are no s**t, but great nurishment :2thumbs:Adding some water seems a good idea cause of the heat.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh that happens all the time here, it's the Fromm we feed. The outer layer of the poop turns white in spots. I thought it was add at first and then started comparing their poops when Jack wasn't on Fromm yet. Not sure why, better ingredients comes to mind though?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Come to think of it now, it was happening to until I switched them all back to the Beet Fritatta. Emma was on the pork and peas and then I was mixing it all together. I haven't noticed the white the last week or so. :hmm:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Sounds normal tome. Sadly I have seen it and thought nothing. Just figured it was drying out quicker cuz the heat.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is not on Fromm and his poop turns white within a day of baking in the hot FL. sun, that is how I spot it to pick it up (lol, I'm lying, Joe picks it up :ROFL:) BUT that is how we spot it in the back yard.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It's the heat and the sun...and moisture content...even dogs on crappy Purina have this happen. More water is always good though, especially in the high heat!

We get a lot of wild animal :poo: in our yard and on the trail we walk on. It's amazing how the consistency and looks change...:)

Last edited:
OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I figured the heat played a huge part in it, it's not the first I have ever seen but it is coming out that way so that's why I was curious. I'll add some water and see if that helps :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We mix warm water in our guys kibble, we started doing this when they were young puppies because I thought it would make it softer for them to chew, and then as they got older, they are both 16 months old now, we stopped it for a while, but they didn't seem to like the kibble as much, especially my male Bulldozer because he has a severe underbite and his teeth don't meet, so he eats much slower than his sister, I started adding the water again, and they devour the food, it makes a kind of gravy for them, and it gives them extra water, because It seems they don't always drink enough water.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
If you move North....you wont have the problem. Orion is on the Pork and Peas....and it rains a lot here. I've never seen the white crust because I never see the sun.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I noticed this since I put them on Fromm too... never thought anything of it becasue it tends to happen in the warmer months

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so I think I figured it out. The past few days the humidity has risen due to incoming monsoons. In Arizona it's really really dry in June!!! Even tho it was 100+ degrees you would barely sweat kinda dry.

I never did add water to the food. But since the rise of humidity their poops have gone back to normal. As a matter of fact, there seems to be a ton of poop all the sudden!

So I think it was the heat in combination of the dry air, caused dry poops!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online