Help Needed! Too much?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok, is it possible to clean the tail pocket too much?! This time of year is horrible for Winston with the allergies & yeast ( I am working on switching foods to hopefully help with the yeast). Anyway, I have been cleaning his tail pocket twice a day and from time to time I am wiping out a little blood. It is not every time I clean it which is what is throwing me off....he doesn't smell, or scoot, or scratch so I do not think it's infected. I inspected it and from what I can see there are no sores or anything. Is it possible that I am cleaning it too much & irritating it?? I am just so afraid of another infection!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is it dirty or gross when cleaning? If its clean each time I would back off, I only clean them pnce a week or more if needed.....

if not -- its likely he does have an irritation going on. Keep up with it fir sure. What exactly are you using to clean it with?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Is it dirty or gross when cleaning? If its clean each time I would back off, I only clean them pnce a week or more if needed.....

if not -- its likely he does have an irritation going on. Keep up with it fir sure. What exactly are you using to clean it with?

I am def cleaning gunk out of it which is why I am afraid to cut back....I am really hoping his food switch helps with some of the yeast! I started the switch from NVI Limited Ingredient Lamb to Fromm Pork & Peas yesterday. I use witch hazel followed up by a little desitin for daily cleaning and I use the mal a ket wipes once or twice week. The blood is such a little amount that it almost seems as if I am drying it out too much or something.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Maybe you could cut back to every other day? It wouldn't allow much time for too much gunk to build up in there but would give his skin a little time to rest between cleanings.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am def cleaning gunk out of it which is why I am afraid to cut back....I am really hoping his food switch helps with some of the yeast! I started the switch from NVI Limited Ingredient Lamb to Fromm Pork & Peas yesterday. I use witch hazel followed up by a little desitin for daily cleaning and I use the mal a ket wipes once or twice week. The blood is such a little amount that it almost seems as if I am drying it out too much or something.

I think the problem may be that what you are using is not killing the colony of yeast or bacteria. There should not be gunk and that gunk is probably disturbing and swelling the skin.

I recommend malacetic ultra or panalog ointment until its resolved, then what you are currently using or malacetic otic for maintainence after. Witch hazel and desitin will only soothe, but it won't kill the bacteria or yeast you are facing. So by the next cleaning, it has already reproduced.

Once the colony had cleared the witch hazel is a great way to keep it clean in there.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I think the problem may be that what you are using is not killing the colony of yeast or bacteria. There should not be gunk and that gunk is probably disturbing and swelling the skin.

Lisa is right. Try cleaning it with a gauze pad soaked in some raw apple cider vinegar to kill the yeast, then follow up with clean pads to dry the area. You can also shoot some Gold Bond powder up in there to help keep it dry.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston

I recommend malacetic ultra or panalog ointment until its resolved, then what you are currently using or malacetic otic for maintainence after. Witch hazel and desitin will only soothe, but it won't kill the bacteria or yeast you are facing. So by the next cleaning, it has already reproduced.

Once the colony had cleared the witch hazel is a great way to keep it clean in there.

Thank you so much! I did not know that! I do have the malacetic ultra at home. How much should I use it??? Thanks for the info, hopefully we will be on the road to recovery soon!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Lisa is right. Try cleaning it with a gauze pad soaked in some raw apple cider vinegar to kill the yeast, then follow up with clean pads to dry the area. You can also shoot some Gold Bond powder up in there to help keep it dry.

Thanks so much!! I have the gold bond powder at home, I will have to get the raw apple cider vinegar to keep on hand. I have one at home but it's not raw. I appreciate the help so much! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much! I did not know that! I do have the malacetic ultra at home. How much should I use it??? Thanks for the info, hopefully we will be on the road to recovery soon!

I would use it just once a day, you should see positive results quickly. If you do not, you really may need to see a vet.

The ultra (not the otic) is very strong so expect them not to love it lol. But it has antifungal, antibacterial and a little steriod for itching and swelling. Since it has steriod that is why I -ONLY- ever use it for problem areas. Never use for daily maintainence.

The ACV is also a great way as [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] suggested to keep the yeasty beasties at bay. Right now you may be battling 3 issues however, swelling, yeast and bacteria all together. It is important to rid all before starting a maintenance routine.

If you do have to end up at the vet make sure you ask for some panalog so you have it on hand if needed. It is similar to the malecetic ultra because it treats all the same things but it's stronger.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I would use it just once a day, you should see positive results quickly. If you do not, you really may need to see a vet.

The ultra (not the otic) is very strong so expect them not to love it lol. But it has antifungal, antibacterial and a little steriod for itching and swelling. Since it has steriod that is why I -ONLY- ever use it for problem areas. Never use for daily maintainence.

The ACV is also a great way as @Twice suggested to keep the yeasty beasties at bay. Right now you may be battling 3 issues however, swelling, yeast and bacteria all together. It is important to rid all before starting a maintenance routine.

If you do have to end up at the vet make sure you ask for some panalog so you have it on hand if needed. It is similar to the malecetic ultra because it treats all the same things but it's stronger.

Thank you so much! I did use the malacetic ultra once and it helped a lot but I only used it once for one day, I guess that wasn't long enough lol! It was like a miracle in a bottle, I will use that once a day for a few days and hope it helps! Should I follow it up with anything (such as gold bond) or just use that?? Should I put it on cotton pad or can I put it on a baby wipe for more coverage? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do it right this time!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Is this by any chance similar to panalog or along the same lines?? The vet did give me this the last time we were in there and I still have some left.
22-2100.JPG

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much! I did use the malacetic ultra once and it helped a lot but I only used it once for one day, I guess that wasn't long enough lol! It was like a miracle in a bottle, I will use that once a day for a few days and hope it helps! Should I follow it up with anything (such as gold bond) or just use that?? Should I put it on cotton pad or can I put it on a baby wipe for more coverage? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do it right this time!!

I use a cotton ball soaked in it, and many times I will stick the cotton ball up there and actually leave it there for about 10 minutes to let it soak in.

Baby wipes work awesome too because they are thinner and you can feel around better.

When you clean a tail pocket on a normal basis, what you see on your baby wipe should be more like this:
http://youtu.be/aks-OGA7iuk

Maybe a few hairs or a little dirt, but there should be no gunk. I only clean ours out once a week and that is what I see. If it gets yucky I will do more but that only happens sometimes and rarely. Once you get the intial problem under control that is.

When I first found Molly's pocket it was sooooooo gross. It took some time to get it cleaned up and healthy again. I have also found pockets on some of my bulldogs after they got much older, where they had none as pups or young adults, so I didn't even think to check until they scooted. The hips change positions as they mature I came to find out, causing the pocket to increase in size, and found them in poor condition as well. Using the Malacetic Ultra cured them in just a few days. That reddish brown gunk is just plain gross and you know it makes them miserable!!!! It has to itch so bad.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I use a cotton ball soaked in it, and many times I will stick the cotton ball up there and actually leave it there for about 10 minutes to let it soak in.

Baby wipes work awesome too because they are thinner and you can feel around better.

When you clean a tail pocket on a normal basis, what you see on your baby wipe should be more like this:
http://youtu.be/aks-OGA7iuk

Maybe a few hairs or a little dirt, but there should be no gunk. I only clean ours out once a week and that is what I see. If it gets yucky I will do more but that only happens sometimes and rarely. Once you get the intial problem under control that is.

When I first found Molly's pocket it was sooooooo gross. It took some time to get it cleaned up and healthy again. I have also found pockets on some of my bulldogs after they got much older, where they had none as pups or young adults, so I didn't even think to check until they scooted. The hips change positions as they mature I came to find out, causing the pocket to increase in size, and found them in poor condition as well. Using the Malacetic Ultra cured them in just a few days. That reddish brown gunk is just plain gross and you know it makes them miserable!!!! It has to itch so bad.

Great, thank you soooo much!! I am going to try this for a few days and see what happens!! I just hate the thought of having to put him on more meds!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great, thank you soooo much!! I am going to try this for a few days and see what happens!! I just hate the thought of having to put him on more meds!

I will be looking forward to hearing of Winstons progress. :up: please keep us all posted!

Most Reactions