General Question Any tips to cool down a bully?

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
So last week summer finally arrived... and how it did! We had scorching temperatures of over 40ºC / 104ºF. It was terribly hot, and since in Germany we don't really have air conditioning in most places, well you can imagine how hot Ulysses was. He was panting non-stop, he had me really worried because he just seemed SO HOT! He had plenty of water and shade (he was only inside the house) I bathe him just with water a couple of times, which seemed to help, and I had a cold wet towel over him as much as he let me. Is there any other ways to keep a bully cool in high high high temperatures? Now is kind of coldish again (62 ºF) but I know the heat's coming back, so it's there something else I can do???

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: That's awful and no A/C?? :eek:

Well..I have read a couple things here that might help you. Someone takes plastic jugs..like milk comes in..fills with water and freezes them. Then you can let Ulysses lay against it to cool off..and especially if you have a fan blowing the coolness from the frozen carton. It will get drippy, but that's not important compared to his safety.

Here we have cooling pads, you might be able to order online. They are cool for them to lie on. And cooling collars. You freeze them and then they go around the neck, like a bandana. There is a company..Keepdoggiesafe ..then add .com. I'm not sure if they ship overseas, but it will be a place to start.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
How about those cooling pads, they are on several sites so you could order one via e mail

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
You could get a little kids swimming pool and float the frozen blocks of ice in it to keep the water temperature down.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All good advice from above. We walk our guys in the early morning, or in the evenings, and we are lucky enough to have a nature trail with a river behind our house, so it's nice and cool by the water, and there are areas of shade there as well. If you have a park with water nearby that has some shady areas you can take your bully in the mornings or evenings when it's cooler. You can use fans to cool areas of your house down. A kiddie pool in the background with cool water can be used to let Ulysses cool down, or even a sprinkler, a cooling bed, or a cooling jacket for him would help as well. These can be bought on line. The cooling jacket is a jacket that you wet down, and wring out then put it on your dog, it keeps your pet cool, but they don't get wet.

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Thank you all for the wonderful advice :) I made my mind up and went yesterday and got one of those portable A/C that you put next to the window, it's perfect for those few really hot days that we have here. My Hubby was not too happy with the bill but I know he'll enjoy it once it's boiling outside and we have it nice and cool inside here ;), and Ulysses is going to benefit from it, I don't want to see him over-heated like last week again :nope: I also ordered the cooling pad from Amazon and I'll definitely get the little pool too! Just hope he goes in cause is this boy skeptic of everything new... oh-la-la!

Last edited:

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
As our temperatures in New Jersey are not quite as hot as yours, we do have a plastic pool. I also freeze water bottles and he loves to play with them in the pool (of course remove the lids after they are frozen) Nate really seems to keep cool and enjoy the frozen ice.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Poor pup! It gets very hot here too. Tilly has a cooling vest and cooling bed. The vest is amazing - you get it wet and it stays super cold for 6 hours. You can get them at Petsmart. The cooling bed is like a water bed. You fill it with cold water. Tilly loves to sleep on it. Just make sure you follow the instructions to get the air bubbles out! You can absolutely find them online, but I got mine at a local pet shop. They also have cooling collars you can buy, too.

Another tip is to put a little lemon juice in their water - it helps keep their throats from swelling from the excessive panting.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.