Cherry eye

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

My pup Tyson has cherry eye . It popped out a couple of weeks ago I massaged it back in . It reappeared last night I massaged it back in and it reappeared this morning . My vet recommended surgery but he said it was best that I wait until I neuter him he is only 16 weeks old . Is there anything I can use until I get the surgery later . Any hints will be appreciated

MariaRosa

Jan 6, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Bulldog(s) Names
Sofia
My pup had cherry eye when she was 4 months old... I massaged it back in and it came back a week later. I massaged it back in again and now she is 1 1/2 years old and it never came back ! I would massage it back in again and wait before getting the operation !

OP
bigrod48

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I am massaging it back in but my pup keeps moving so much it is difficult to do at times

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't know much about this and the surgery, but I will try to get a few here who will have more experience..
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Cherry Eye..
Hi, cherry eye is a common occurrence for the Brachycephalic breeds of dogs, that's dogs with flattened short noses such as bulldogs, boxers, pugs, Boston terriers, French bulldogs, etc, it can be genetic, but it can also be caused by a weak immune system, or stress. It is a prolapsed eyelid, these breeds have a third eyelid that protects the eye from dust, and it sometimes develops cherry eye. It is common to occur between 3 and 5 months, and usually one eye will pop out first, and then the other eye will often but not always come out as well. The other eye can pop out up to 3 or 4 months after the first one. It is repaired by surgery by either tacking the eye gland back in with a stitch, or removing the gland all together. The tacking in surgery has a 85% success rate, but there is a small risk of the eye gland popping back out on some cases, but if it is going to reoccur after surgery, it will usually come out within the first few days to a week if it is going to come out. The removal of the gland has a small risk of developing dry eye, and if this develops , then eye drops are required for the life of the dog. Dry eye can also develop later after tacking the eye back in, and even in bulldogs who have never had cherry eye or surgery on their eyes, as bulldogs are susceptible to this. I'm not sure how common this is with bulldogs, but I have two 10 month old EB pups, they are brother and sister from the same litter, and my female Blossom developed cherry eye in her left eye at the age of 5 months, which I repaired at the same time as her spay surgery at the age of 7 months, and then a week after her surgery, her right eye came out as well, and she had a second surgery a month later. We opted to have them stitched back in, and we are very happy with the results, the vet did a great job. It's been 3 months since the surgeries, and her eyes are beautiful, no swelling, no tears or discharge, and no problems post surgical. My male Bulldozer didn't develop any cherry eye. I hope this helps answer your questions.

0 Comment(s)

Last edited:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby developped cherry eye at 4 months old. We had it surgerically tacked back in. They did not give us the option for full removal. I know if you remove the gland all together you run the risk of the bully having dry eyes.
Tubby's recovery went pretty smoothly except we let him play with his half brother too soon and it got a little irritated so he stayed on the lubricant for an extra month. Other then that it has healed up nicely and he is as handsome as ever.
-I will warn you if you go ahead with the surgery when you pick him up the eye may look worse then when you brought him in. I know I wasn't prepared when I got home and saw him because his dad picked him up from the vet. I went insane I thought they butchered him but it was just irrated from the surgery. Within a day though it looked great. Also when you pick him up and they're all doped up they are sooooo funny

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would wait a little while anyway, as long as it does not become a problem (they are usually more of a visual problem than a medical problem). Some can become infected though. Wait because if one popped, there is a good chance the other will follow!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My older boy had a minor sherry eye that popped out occasionally and always went in. Now that he's older (2years 8 months) it hardly ever gomes out. My younger developed it as young as 4 months and after awhile it got really that bad that we couldn't get it in anymore. That is time to operate it. You can tell the difference...when it's bad it really looks like a sherry and it won't stay in anymore. If it's minor he just might grow out of it and the surgery was for nothing.

OP
bigrod48

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
How much did the surgery cost you to do

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just try to massage it back in and it may stay a little while. If it gets to where it doesn't then get the surgery. Just make sure you take him to someone who does these quite often and familiar with the bulldog breed, so it will get done correctly.

OP
bigrod48

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
The cherry eye won't go down now even with me massaging . What are my options now .

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
The cherry eye won't go down now even with me massaging . What are my options now .

Relax, as bad as it looks, it's very common among the breed. Do as you vet says and wait. Until then, gently massage the inside corner of eye membrane. It's all going to be ok. try to relax a bit. Time will tell.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I understand that Cherry Eye is not painful to the pooch so I wouldn't panic. Finn gets this every so often also. I think his breeder had it tucked before I brought him home at 12 wks but obviously, this did not help. He gets it when he's very tired or very excitable. I've managed to massage it back in ...sometimes takes awhile. I'd also not rush into surgery at this point.

RubenWinston

Jul 7, 2013
Stanwood, Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruben and Winston
My 12 week old has cherry eye in both eyes too. We can't get them back in so we just put lubricating drops in his eyes about 3 times a day to prevent irritation. They don't seem to bother him except when his brother accidentally hits them with his paw (or teeth). We're watching closely to make sure there's not a problem and will get them fixed when he is neutered. It's better to have anesthesia only once if possible.

Eatapeach1965

Nov 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Our guy ,8 1/2 months old, just had eye surgery on his left eye. They tacked it in.. Taking it out wasn't an option the Dr/ we thought was a good one.
At the same time,we had him neutered. I wanted to wait til he was a year old or so,but thought one time put under is enough.
He's a little wobbly,but sleeping peacefully now.
Dr said the E collar is a needed for a few days. I can see that will be a challenge

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.