Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cherry eye

I understand that Cherry Eye is not painful to the pooch so I wouldn't panic. Finn gets this every so often also. I think his breeder had it tucked before I brought him home at 12 wks but obviously, this did not help. He gets it when he's very tired or very excitable. I've managed to massage it back in ...sometimes takes awhile. I'd also not rush into surgery at this point.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruben and Winston
    Likes (Received)

My 12 week old has cherry eye in both eyes too. We can't get them back in so we just put lubricating drops in his eyes about 3 times a day to prevent irritation. They don't seem to bother him except when his brother accidentally hits them with his paw (or teeth). We're watching closely to make sure there's not a problem and will get them fixed when he is neutered. It's better to have anesthesia only once if possible.

Our guy ,8 1/2 months old, just had eye surgery on his left eye. They tacked it in.. Taking it out wasn't an option the Dr/ we thought was a good one.
    At the same time,we had him neutered. I wanted to wait til he was a year old or so,but thought one time put under is enough.
    He's a little wobbly,but sleeping peacefully now.
    Dr said the E collar is a needed for a few days. I can see that will be a challenge

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, I opted to wait until I spayed her at 7 months to do both surgeries at the same time, so I wouldn't have to put her under anesthetic twice, but the other eye came out a week after her spay/eye surgery, and we had to do a second surgery a months later. We used over the counter moisture eye drops from the pharmacy, so the eye wouldn't dry out. The more the tear gland is exposed to the air, the more sensitive it will become, and it will swell, causing more irritation and potential damage to the eye.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

As long as the cherry eye is not bothering Tyson I would wait and do both surgeries at once. Bulldogs and anesthesia are not always a good mix so doing an extra surgery in my opinion is not worth the risk. Keep an eye on the eye and if there is any odd colored discharge or other changes in the eye get Tyson to the vet right away.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads