Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, we had dodged the yeast bullet so far, but it looks like it finally got us. My two guys Bulldozer and Blossom are now 16 months old, and so far have had no medical problems. I had them at the vet yesterday for their checkup, they got their vaccinations, blood tests for heartworm, six months of Revolution medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention. Both of them got a clean bill of health, except for Blossom who has what looks like a yeast infection in her right back paw. It's red and moist, but it doesn't seem to have any odor. I'm hoping this clears up quickly, and doesn't become a bigger yeast problem.

My question is to anyone who has experience with yeasty paws, what treatments, solutions, preventative treatments have worked best for their dogs, and if once yeast starts, will it always be a problem, or be hard to control? , or is it possible to get rid of it?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi everyone, we had dodged the yeast bullet so far, but it looks like it finally got us. My two guys Bulldozer and Blossom are now 16 months old, and so far have had no medical problems. I had them at the vet yesterday for their checkup, they got their vaccinations, blood tests for heartworm, six months of Revolution medication for fleas, ticks and heartworm prevention. Both of them got a clean bill of health, except for Blossom who has what looks like a yeast infection in her right back paw. It's red and moist, but it doesn't seem to have any odor. I'm hoping this clears up quickly, and doesn't become a bigger yeast problem.

My question is to anyone who has experience with yeasty paws, what treatments, solutions, preventative treatments have worked best for their dogs, and if once yeast starts, will it always be a problem, or be hard to control? , or is it possible to get rid of it?

:shhhh: I'm going to whisper this....but since I have no experience...I will get a few here to help! [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks a yeast machine..... over the years it has gotten less and less of an issue due to keeping her paws clean (witch hazel, epsom salt paw soaks, Duoxo pads, etc. etc) with heavy maintenance. I recently changed her food to Fromm Pork n Peas and after about 6wks, most of her yeast issues are pretty much gone -- PnP has no white potato, so I believe that is helping. However, her one back paw, just can not get rid of it and it is only in one spot... so strange.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'd do the epsom salt soak first. I know Stig's paws seem to shine white after. Whenever he needs a soak, Punkin goes into the tub too, even though he doesn't need it.

A vinegar rinse after baths should also do the trick. 1 part white vinegar to every 10 parts water. So after you've rinsed all the shampoo with water, use the solution as a final rinse, . No need to re-rinse with water after this. Don't get it in their eyes though, because it'll sting!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I too am having a few issues this year with mostly Amber. Her tear stains got out of control but her paws were fine. Her tail pocket was getting irritated and I keep it really clean. So, I stripped her diet down to fish and eggs along with a few veggies and so far so good. I am experimenting with the diet of both of them right now and using a limited diet to see if that has anything to do with the excessive tear stains. Ruby was also experiencing some tear staining and I was using everything I could get my hands on and nothing was working so she is also on a limited diet right now. I am still researching some kibbles options but I am not convinced I have found what I am looking for. I am seeing improving in the tear stains, its only been a week. I am washing Amber in warm water with a cup of hydrogen peroxide and that cleared up the tail pocket along with lotrimin foot powder. I will know more in a couple more weeks if the changes in their diet have reduced or eliminated the tear stains.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks guys , first I feel stupid that I didn't notice the paw, I am usually more alert to these things. We haven't had to deal with this issue yet, but they are still young at only 16 months old. Blossom had a lot of sensitivity or allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and after a couple of food switches, we stuck with Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old. They have been doing really well on this food. I also give them plain yogurt in their kibble, and apple cider vinegar in their drinking water. I already use the ACV for rinsing after their bath, but will definetely try soaking her foot in it too, as well as the Epsom salts since I have both on hand in the house. Thanks again everyone for the ideas and advice. I'll keep you posted as to how it works.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
we love vinegar at my house, all kinds, it is probably the most useful & versatile of all my kitchen staples. from cleaning to caning to keeping my dogs happy and healthy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.