Fever?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Miila has the chills. Well mostly they r gone now but I couldn't figure out why. Then she started panting lightly so I thought she must have a fever? No reason to be panting, she is sitting with me on the couch. She is eating fine, had breakfast and a cookie a bit ago to try and cheer her up. When I was thinking fever I decided to give her an ice cube, something that actually makes her crazy. If she just hears the ice being pressed on the freezer she goes nuts. Gave her an ice cube and she didnt want it. :confused:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwww poor girl. I wonder what's wrong with her especially since she doesn't want her ice cube but yet comes running for it. :(

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Miila has the chills. Well mostly they r gone now but I couldn't figure out why. Then she started panting lightly so I thought she must have a fever? No reason to be panting, she is sitting with me on the couch. She is eating fine, had breakfast and a cookie a bit ago to try and cheer her up. When I was thinking fever I decided to give her an ice cube, something that actually makes her crazy. If she just hears the ice being pressed on the freezer she goes nuts. Gave her an ice cube and she didnt want it. :confused:

Do you have a dog rectal thermometer to chk her temp? Does she have sniffles or lethargic? Only way to really know is to chk her temp. Make sure she sips water so she's not dehydrated if she does have a fever. I hope she starts to feel better soon!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok thanks for the info [MENTION=8502]christyjulene[/MENTION]. I am not a fan of the booty temp taking, haven't done it before and don't have a thermometer that I feel is accurate. I use a forehead one on my kids. But I will buy one just for the pups to have on hand now. She is acting fine now. Lasted a couple hours where I could tell she just wasn't right and was fevery or what it appeared to me. Once she got over it, she went back to trying to hump cutty, eat ice and eat whatever else I could feed her. 2 days ago after playing in the yard she acted this way but I thought I had accidentally smacked her with the tail of the kong wooba and maybe had scared her. Lasted a short whole and she was over it. Didn't even occur to me she might have had a fever. Dunno why she would then and again today tho. She was inside the house while I was out watering so I know she didn't eat anything in the yard that was toxic. Hope she doesn't do this again tomorrow morning, will let you know if she does tho.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I feel the tips of the ears... if they are hot or warm -- usually a sign of a fever (learned this in daycare). I pretty sure you can give aspirin, but not sure of the dosage - be back with that info

baby aspirin .... 1 pill for 30lbs of dog

Last edited:
OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I need to make a note of that one. Never need it so writing it down is important.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I feel the tips of the ears... if they are hot or warm -- usually a sign of a fever (learned this in daycare). I pretty sure you can give aspirin, but not sure of the dosage - be back with that info

baby aspirin .... 1 pill for 30lbs of dog

@cali~jenn...and all...

if aspirin is coated type, make sure you crush it to get in their system right away.

Very important if giving to someone having a suspected stroke or heart attack.

Keeping y'all in prayers...let us know...GOD bless!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

How have things been going?

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
She got over it after a couple hours and showed no more signs. Thank you for asking! It was just so odd to me and I was trying to think ahead of the "what to do if..." Had never seen my pups act that way so it def had me over thinking it I think.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.