Thread: Reoccuring interdigital cyst?

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Default Reoccuring interdigital cyst?

Happy Sunday!

So, Otis has ANOTHER interdigital cyst, he just got one removed at the vet in April, and now there's another one! These cysts don't even gradually grow....it's just a massive cysts over night it seems. He's licking it a bit today, and I soaked it in some ACV/water for as long as he'd let me. Any other suggestions to avoid surgery again? Also, why does it come back?

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reoccuring interdigital cyst?

I'm sure someone will have some answers for you. I'm afraid I am no help whatsoever. Just wanted to say, I hope Otis heals quickly and that you discover what the issue is that's causing the cysts. I'm sure someone here will know.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

you will get lots of answers on that one but i can tell you i have battled cysts with sarah for a long time like 4 years and now she has none and hasnt for a while. i believe these things are related to allergies and with sarah its food allergies. once i cut out certain kibble she has none now. i would limit your dogs food to kibble only. do they get people food do they get treats? if so stop them. for me finding sarahs protein she tolerated has helped alot then i worked out from there. cysts are bacteria so something anti bacterial will help. acv has those properties so should help. i have even went so far as to put peroxide on them when i had nothing else. duoxo pads are also good for this. you can get some hibiclenz from the drug store if needed but acv should be fine. if you want these to stop find whats causing it. i have never had one surgically removed sarah would just get anti biotics and they would go away then come back depending on what i was feeding her. if you want i can help you more.

- - - Updated - - -

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The ONLY thing that will take away the cysts is clindamycin. I went thru this with my Gunnyboy for 7 years, I tried everything from soaks to salves like prep H, had them removed by a vet
    and every antibiotic known to man. Nothing worked for all those years and they hurt him really bad. I finally found a vet that told me the only answer was clindamycin. in a matter of one day you could see a difference and a little over a week, they are easy on the stomach and dogs tolerate them well.Gunnys never came back but a study says a few dogs will have a recurrence. Its just a suggestion and after you try everything else fix them with clindamycin. good luck and hope they are gone sone.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shahster View Post
    Happy Sunday!

So, Otis has ANOTHER interdigital cyst, he just got one removed at the vet in April, and now there's another one! These cysts don't even gradually grow....it's just a massive cysts over night it seems. He's licking it a bit today, and I soaked it in some ACV/water for as long as he'd let me. Any other suggestions to avoid surgery again? Also, why does it come back?

These little buggers are allergy related.... Nitschke had them constantly and once we identified he was allergic to rice, removed it from his diet -- he never got another one. Same happen with Banks, she got a few and once we did the allergy test and removed chicken from her diet, she did not get them anymore. also, epsom salt foot soaks do help with the swelling, does not get rid of them, but helps with the discomfort/pain
    Last edited by 2BullyMama; 06-23-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    you will get lots of answers on that one but i can tell you i have battled cysts with sarah for a long time like 4 years and now she has none and hasnt for a while. i believe these things are related to allergies and with sarah its food allergies. once i cut out certain kibble she has none now. i would limit your dogs food to kibble only. do they get people food do they get treats? if so stop them. for me finding sarahs protein she tolerated has helped alot then i worked out from there. cysts are bacteria so something anti bacterial will help. acv has those properties so should help. i have even went so far as to put peroxide on them when i had nothing else. duoxo pads are also good for this. you can get some hibiclenz from the drug store if needed but acv should be fine. if you want these to stop find whats causing it. i have never had one surgically removed sarah would just get anti biotics and they would go away then come back depending on what i was feeding her. if you want i can help you more.

- - - Updated - - -

He was on royal first, and now he's on Fromm pork and peas. I asked the vet the first time about allergies and she said that they cannot be certain if its an allergy. I'll try Epsom salts tonight. I have malacetic wipes for him, which ill use more frequently.

I hope it clears soon. I don't want to put him through surgery again

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Lucy used to get them every once in awhile until we changed her food and she hasn't had them since. It's just trial and error until you find what is causing the allergic reaction.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyboy View Post
    The ONLY thing that will take away the cysts is clindamycin. I went thru this with my Gunnyboy for 7 years, I tried everything from soaks to salves like prep H, had them removed by a vet
    and every antibiotic known to man. Nothing worked for all those years and they hurt him really bad. I finally found a vet that told me the only answer was clindamycin. in a matter of one day you could see a difference and a little over a week, they are easy on the stomach and dogs tolerate them well.Gunnys never came back but a study says a few dogs will have a recurrence. Its just a suggestion and after you try everything else fix them with clindamycin. good luck and hope they are gone sone.

I'll talk to my vet about clindamycin thank you!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

He was on royal first, and now he's on Fromm pork and peas. I asked the vet the first time about allergies and she said that they cannot be certain if its an allergy. I'll try Epsom salts tonight. I have malacetic wipes for him, which ill use more frequently.

I hope it clears soon. I don't want to put him through surgery again
    well honestly sarah has has cysts on all 4 paws and cysts on top of cysts and ive never had them removed so i would not worry bout that. lets worry bout finding whats causing it. how long on the fromm? is the switch recent cause sometimes it can take a bit for the old food to get out of the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

well honestly sarah has has cysts on all 4 paws and cysts on top of cysts and ive never had them removed so i would not worry bout that. lets worry bout finding whats causing it. how long on the fromm? is the switch recent cause sometimes it can take a bit for the old food to get out of the system.

- - - Updated - - -
    He's been on Fromm for about a month and a half. He was on firstmate before that for 2 months but that have him yeast issues. He eats apples and carrots as snacks, no other treats

He's been licking it a lot and there's a bald patch as of this morning. I hope the Epsom salts help him tonight.

Thank you for your help.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

He's been on Fromm for about a month and a half. He was on firstmate before that for 2 months but that have him yeast issues. He eats apples and carrots as snacks, no other treats

He's been licking it a lot and there's a bald patch as of this morning. I hope the Epsom salts help him tonight.

Thank you for your help.
    sounds like allergies to food. perhaps try the bland diet for a few days and see if he gets better. chicken and brown rice or perhaps some beef and rice. i find that finding their protein they tolerate and then working out helps or you could just have an allergy test done. perhaps cut out the treats first and see if things improve.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)

sounds like allergies to food. perhaps try the bland diet for a few days and see if he gets better. chicken and brown rice or perhaps some beef and rice. i find that finding their protein they tolerate and then working out helps or you could just have an allergy test done. perhaps cut out the treats first and see if things improve.

So I soaked his paw last night and it seems to have gone down a little, but it's still pretty red. I couldn't get to the grocery store in time, so I'll go today and try the bland diet for a bit. The only protein he hasn't been on is beef (he's been on salmon, pork, and whatever is in royal canin) so I'll try the ground beef and rice. I'm so glad I kept his cone so I can keep him from licking his paw! Thank you so much for your help.

Could he also be allergic to grass? Or are these caused from food only?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads