Reoccuring interdigital cyst?

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Happy Sunday!

So, Otis has ANOTHER interdigital cyst, he just got one removed at the vet in April, and now there's another one! These cysts don't even gradually grow....it's just a massive cysts over night it seems. He's licking it a bit today, and I soaked it in some ACV/water for as long as he'd let me. Any other suggestions to avoid surgery again? Also, why does it come back?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm sure someone will have some answers for you. I'm afraid I am no help whatsoever. Just wanted to say, I hope Otis heals quickly and that you discover what the issue is that's causing the cysts. I'm sure someone here will know.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you will get lots of answers on that one but i can tell you i have battled cysts with sarah for a long time like 4 years and now she has none and hasnt for a while. i believe these things are related to allergies and with sarah its food allergies. once i cut out certain kibble she has none now. i would limit your dogs food to kibble only. do they get people food do they get treats? if so stop them. for me finding sarahs protein she tolerated has helped alot then i worked out from there. cysts are bacteria so something anti bacterial will help. acv has those properties so should help. i have even went so far as to put peroxide on them when i had nothing else. duoxo pads are also good for this. you can get some hibiclenz from the drug store if needed but acv should be fine. if you want these to stop find whats causing it. i have never had one surgically removed sarah would just get anti biotics and they would go away then come back depending on what i was feeding her. if you want i can help you more.

- - - Updated - - -

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
The ONLY thing that will take away the cysts is clindamycin. I went thru this with my Gunnyboy for 7 years, I tried everything from soaks to salves like prep H, had them removed by a vet
and every antibiotic known to man. Nothing worked for all those years and they hurt him really bad. I finally found a vet that told me the only answer was clindamycin. in a matter of one day you could see a difference and a little over a week, they are easy on the stomach and dogs tolerate them well.Gunnys never came back but a study says a few dogs will have a recurrence. Its just a suggestion and after you try everything else fix them with clindamycin. good luck and hope they are gone sone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy Sunday!

So, Otis has ANOTHER interdigital cyst, he just got one removed at the vet in April, and now there's another one! These cysts don't even gradually grow....it's just a massive cysts over night it seems. He's licking it a bit today, and I soaked it in some ACV/water for as long as he'd let me. Any other suggestions to avoid surgery again? Also, why does it come back?

These little buggers are allergy related.... Nitschke had them constantly and once we identified he was allergic to rice, removed it from his diet -- he never got another one. Same happen with Banks, she got a few and once we did the allergy test and removed chicken from her diet, she did not get them anymore. also, epsom salt foot soaks do help with the swelling, does not get rid of them, but helps with the discomfort/pain

Last edited:
OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
you will get lots of answers on that one but i can tell you i have battled cysts with sarah for a long time like 4 years and now she has none and hasnt for a while. i believe these things are related to allergies and with sarah its food allergies. once i cut out certain kibble she has none now. i would limit your dogs food to kibble only. do they get people food do they get treats? if so stop them. for me finding sarahs protein she tolerated has helped alot then i worked out from there. cysts are bacteria so something anti bacterial will help. acv has those properties so should help. i have even went so far as to put peroxide on them when i had nothing else. duoxo pads are also good for this. you can get some hibiclenz from the drug store if needed but acv should be fine. if you want these to stop find whats causing it. i have never had one surgically removed sarah would just get anti biotics and they would go away then come back depending on what i was feeding her. if you want i can help you more.

- - - Updated - - -

He was on royal first, and now he's on Fromm pork and peas. I asked the vet the first time about allergies and she said that they cannot be certain if its an allergy. I'll try Epsom salts tonight. I have malacetic wipes for him, which ill use more frequently.

I hope it clears soon. I don't want to put him through surgery again :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Lucy used to get them every once in awhile until we changed her food and she hasn't had them since. It's just trial and error until you find what is causing the allergic reaction.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
The ONLY thing that will take away the cysts is clindamycin. I went thru this with my Gunnyboy for 7 years, I tried everything from soaks to salves like prep H, had them removed by a vet
and every antibiotic known to man. Nothing worked for all those years and they hurt him really bad. I finally found a vet that told me the only answer was clindamycin. in a matter of one day you could see a difference and a little over a week, they are easy on the stomach and dogs tolerate them well.Gunnys never came back but a study says a few dogs will have a recurrence. Its just a suggestion and after you try everything else fix them with clindamycin. good luck and hope they are gone sone.

I'll talk to my vet about clindamycin thank you!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
He was on royal first, and now he's on Fromm pork and peas. I asked the vet the first time about allergies and she said that they cannot be certain if its an allergy. I'll try Epsom salts tonight. I have malacetic wipes for him, which ill use more frequently.

I hope it clears soon. I don't want to put him through surgery again :(
well honestly sarah has has cysts on all 4 paws and cysts on top of cysts and ive never had them removed so i would not worry bout that. lets worry bout finding whats causing it. how long on the fromm? is the switch recent cause sometimes it can take a bit for the old food to get out of the system.

- - - Updated - - -

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
well honestly sarah has has cysts on all 4 paws and cysts on top of cysts and ive never had them removed so i would not worry bout that. lets worry bout finding whats causing it. how long on the fromm? is the switch recent cause sometimes it can take a bit for the old food to get out of the system.

- - - Updated - - -

He's been on Fromm for about a month and a half. He was on firstmate before that for 2 months but that have him yeast issues. He eats apples and carrots as snacks, no other treats

He's been licking it a lot and there's a bald patch as of this morning. I hope the Epsom salts help him tonight.

Thank you for your help.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
He's been on Fromm for about a month and a half. He was on firstmate before that for 2 months but that have him yeast issues. He eats apples and carrots as snacks, no other treats

He's been licking it a lot and there's a bald patch as of this morning. I hope the Epsom salts help him tonight.

Thank you for your help.
sounds like allergies to food. perhaps try the bland diet for a few days and see if he gets better. chicken and brown rice or perhaps some beef and rice. i find that finding their protein they tolerate and then working out helps or you could just have an allergy test done. perhaps cut out the treats first and see if things improve.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
sounds like allergies to food. perhaps try the bland diet for a few days and see if he gets better. chicken and brown rice or perhaps some beef and rice. i find that finding their protein they tolerate and then working out helps or you could just have an allergy test done. perhaps cut out the treats first and see if things improve.

So I soaked his paw last night and it seems to have gone down a little, but it's still pretty red. I couldn't get to the grocery store in time, so I'll go today and try the bland diet for a bit. The only protein he hasn't been on is beef (he's been on salmon, pork, and whatever is in royal canin) so I'll try the ground beef and rice. I'm so glad I kept his cone so I can keep him from licking his paw! Thank you so much for your help.

Could he also be allergic to grass? Or are these caused from food only?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I soaked his paw last night and it seems to have gone down a little, but it's still pretty red. I couldn't get to the grocery store in time, so I'll go today and try the bland diet for a bit. The only protein he hasn't been on is beef (he's been on salmon, pork, and whatever is in royal canin) so I'll try the ground beef and rice. I'm so glad I kept his cone so I can keep him from licking his paw! Thank you so much for your help.

Could he also be allergic to grass? Or are these caused from food only?

Instead of rice... try elbow macaroni and yes, grass can be adding to the issue if he is allergic. But, the cyst, from my experience are from a food allergy. Notschke and Banks both allergic to grass of all kinds, even weeds, but once I removed the food allergy - the cysts stopped showing up. Also, my guys never hd them surgically removed either --- our vet would just lance them (baically pop them with a needle) and give it a deep cleaning at the office

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Instead of rice... try elbow macaroni and yes, grass can be adding to the issue if he is allergic. But, the cyst, from my experience are from a food allergy. Notschke and Banks both allergic to grass of all kinds, even weeds, but once I removed the food allergy - the cysts stopped showing up. Also, my guys never hd them surgically removed either --- our vet would just lance them (baically pop them with a needle) and give it a deep cleaning at the office

Really? No surgery? They even asked me to send whatever they cut off to test for cancer, but I declined so I'm a little worried. Here's a picture of his paw, just want to make sure it IS an interdigital cyst. I'll try the macaroni instead of rice. I'm really thinking I should just feed the poor guy raw. I just have to do more research.

IMG_0599.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Really? No surgery? They even asked me to send whatever they cut off to test for cancer, but I declined so I'm a little worried. Here's a picture of his paw, just want to make sure it IS an interdigital cyst. I'll try the macaroni instead of rice. I'm really thinking I should just feed the poor guy raw. I just have to do more research.

View attachment 46605

Yep - that would be one of the buggers... Epsom salts bath will help with the swelling and relief some of the pressure. As Sandy said - they are a bacteria build up so in a sense they are a huge ugly monster zit! Also, as Sandy suggested... stick with no treats outside of his meal food (give pieces of that as a treat) until you find the sorce of the allergy. I knew a Cane Corso that was allergic to carrots and a Pitbull that was allergic to apples... so it really can be anything.

How old is Otis?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online