JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have more of a curious question really. Sally has occassional accidents in the house since she was never housed trained. Most of you know that she's our rescue and was overbred and tossed in a shelter. Anyhoots, there's been about 3 times that I caught her and she was licking up her pee. Is that normal for a breeder momma to do? I'm assuming so and more so in her case since she was probably in some sort of room/kennel most her life.
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awww. Sweet Sally. :heart: Maybe she's trying her best to help you clean up the mess? <=== that's ridicules but I had to say it anyway. Its what I want to think.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When we bred our bully Bella she would lick up the pee from her pups (and eat the POOP). We kept one of the pups Winston, and if he had an accident in the house she would still lick it up!!! I really don't know if you can break this habit or if this is something that they always do... It drove us crazy though!!! LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, this is a normal mama, trying to keep her area clean, as when they have pups to clean the pups and keep her "nest" area clean. I have even had young female bullies that have never had a litter, do this if they had an accident in their crate.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have more of a curious question really. Sally has occassional accidents in the house since she was never housed trained. Most of you know that she's our rescue and was overbred and tossed in a shelter. Anyhoots, there's been about 3 times that I caught her and she was licking up her pee. Is that normal for a breeder momma to do? I'm assuming so and more so in her case since she was probably in some sort of room/kennel most her life.

Sally licks up the pee and Wilson eats the poop!! You must have the cleanest house in all of Bullyland!!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Maybe….Sally has had a life long dream to be an astronaut, Perhaps giving her Tang would help….:rofl: I agree with Davidh, the mothers tend to do this for their babies, Thinking they knew it was wrong, and best protecting their young from getting in any trouble is what I always thought, But I reasoned for myself that I can tell babies poop from the adults… Well, Well, Well, you have to be proud of her for graduating from couch's !! :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] :lmao:

I have not ever seen my girls lick up their own pee, but I haven't seen any accidents in the house so if they were to have an accident then maybe they would. They do clean up after pups and lick the crates clean, sniff and lick where they have been sitting, their beds, ect . So I do think its her way of "keeping the den clean".

So in other words, Vicaroo has it right technically, she is cleaning up after herself, not because she likes to drink it, that is what I would think.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all. I really appreciate the feed back. I figured it was from her being a mamma for so many years. She doesn't do it all the time though which is odd to me, I would think she'd do it every time. After talking to her vet today, Dr. Tom also feels that she was beat quite a bit during her life by the way she acts, her docileness and extreme calmness. If she has to go she just goes (never being house trained either). I don't think it's cause she's can't actually hold it, he piddles in the house more because she doesn't know better. I made a loud comment like one night a week or so ago when she piddled and she cowered down. It broke my heart. Dr. Tom and I talked today and before I told him that he said that he's pretty confident she'd been beat over the years. My heart sunk for her.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
aweeee Jeannie thank goodness you came along for her. it pulls on the strings of my heart,
Dolly does lick the three youngins, but not Jack. But that's as far as it goes. knock wood we don't have accidents in the house. Incredible for having all five loose without crates or gates

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Sally is cleaning up after herself. After having all of those litters she could have some issues with incontinence. Makes my heart hurt to think of all that sweet girl has been through. I hope her previous owners are NOT still breeding dogs (or kids, for that matter).

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
seeing your Pet cower when your correcting their actions is a sad state of Affairs, Its pretty much a tale tail sign of this history !! I think we need to trace her previous owner, and do a little more correcting if you ask me !! just my opinion….

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My heart just breaks for your sweet baby Sally... WTH is wrong w/people!!! Thank goodness you guys rescued her...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] - Alice, her vet said the same thing and I wasn't sure if that was her problem or not. She's probably peed in the house now 20 times. Tonight for example, she woke up and Mike didn't get her out fast enough so she peed. After that, we headed to the basement (neighbor came over to check it out) and she peed again. She didn't give any sign, she just went. He mentioned some medicine (not sure of the name) that they give dogs that have bladder issues. I may have to rethink this for her.

[MENTION=8699]Casper[/MENTION], Dave, when I first got her I searched so many breeders in Nebraska that had a female with the same of "Sally" "Mustang Sally" and even the AKC. I didn't come up with anything. Take that back, a couple of places came up by I couldn't find anything on her. Sally is her name cause she's answered to that from day one.

[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], it's sickening when you think about what's going on huh? Makes your insides cringe.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.