Red, circular, blood red spot

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
I need some expert advice. We just found this spot on Mia's tummy! I thought it was dried blood but nothing comes off. Any ideas?? Ringworm maybe? She has an appointment on Thursday for vaccinations. Should I take her sooner?

20130621_223205.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be ringworm, is in under the skin? Or is the skin moist and pussy?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Mac gets those sometimes when he's gotten ahold of a blankie to sleep on and he's peed on it first before snuggling in (yes, you read right, he pees and then sleeps in it) Usually some neosporin or Animax clears it up by the next morning or even by the end of the day if I put it on in the a.m.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Mac gets those sometimes when he's gotten ahold of a blankie to sleep on and he's peed on it first before snuggling in (yes, you read right, he pees and then sleeps in it) Usually some neosporin or Animax clears it up by the next morning or even by the end of the day if I put it on in the a.m.
Thx. I'll try that. She's done that too:mad:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Karen, my first thought was ringworm. If you can see the vet tomorrow, I'd say go and get it checked out b/c ringworm can spread to humans.

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
It also looks like it could be staff infection. My bully gets them sometimes. It will take medication to get rid of it. Same as ring worm, so I would try and get in to see vet sooner.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Oh dear...it will likely be Monday before I can get in. She's not itching it. Are staph infections or ringworm itchy?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I looked up ringworm in dogs for you, and copied and pasted it for you. The information showed pictures of what it looked, but they didn't print with the article. Your dogs pink ring definetely looks like the pictures of ringworm on the computer.

What is Ringworm?

Contrary to its name Ringworm is not a worm at all but a fungus called Dermatophytes. Dermaphtytes means 'plants that live on the skin'. In the past, because of the circular lesions made by the fungi they were thought to be caused by worms, hence the name ringworm.

The fungi live on the surface of the skin and in the skin follicles feeding on dead skin tissue and hair.

There are three different types of fungus that can cause ringworm but the most predominant ones found on dogs and cats is Microsporum canis.

What does Ringworm look like on my dog?

The usual symptom is a round hairless lesion. The characteristic "ring" that we see on humans doesn't always appear as a ring on dogs. This lesion will grow in size and often become irregular in shape.

The fungi cause the hair shafts to break off and this results in patches of hair loss. Ringworm are commonly found on the face, ears, tail and paws. The lesions are scaly and may or may not be itchy and often the skin is reddened and inflamed.

How does my dog catch ringworm?

Transmission can happen by direct contact with another infected animal or person. It can be passed from dogs to cats and visa versa and from pets to humans and from humans to pets.

The fungal spores can live in the environment for a long time and can be found in carpets, bedding, grooming equipment etc and can infect your dog when it comes into contact with them.

The incubation period is 10-12 days. This means that following exposure to the fungus, about 10-12 days will pass before any lesions occur

In rare cases ringworm can be spread by contact with infected soil. The fungus can live for months in soil if the nutrients are right.

Fortunately the spores are easily killed with a solution of bleach and water. 500mls of bleach to 4 liters of water.

Can Ringworm spread to humans from dogs?

You can contract ringworm by touching an animal with ringworm. Ringworm can spread while petting or grooming infected dogs or cats. You can also get ringworm from cows, goats, pigs and horses.

Are all dogs susceptible to ringworm?

Healthy adult dogs usually have a resistance to ringworm. Young dogs and puppies are more susceptible because their immune system hasn't fully developed. Many dogs are carriers of ringworm but show no symptoms. They can, however, infect other animals or humans.

Dog Ringworm

Diagnosis of Ringworm in dogs

To diagnose Ringworm your vet will need to do one of the following tests. It is not possible by just looking at the skin to make the diagnosis.

Wood's Lamp
An ultra violet lamp also known as a black light. Your vet may use this as 50% of microsporum canis will glow under the lamp.

Microscopic diagnosis
Your vet may look at part of the hair or skin from the lesion under a microscope.

Culture
Your vet may decide to take a scraping from the lesion and send it away to the laboratory to see what the culture grows.

Treatment of Ringworm in dogs

If no treatment is carried out, ringworm will run its course in two to four months and the symptoms will resolve themselves. However, treatment is recommended to save your dog from suffering any longer than necessary and to cut down the period of time they are contagious

Griseofulvin for Ringworm in dogs

Your vet may prescribe Griseofulvin for your dog. It is an anti fungal drug that is used for dogs with ringworm but it does have some side effects so be sure to consult your vet before giving any medication. Griseofulvin inhibits fungal reproduction.

Shampoos and Dips for ringworm in dogs
Lime sulfur dips are often recommended

Dips should be given twice a week and can be performed either by your vet or at home. Please be aware that Lime Sulfur will stain clothing and jewelry and will cause temporary yellowing of the dogs hair. It also smells very strongly of rotten eggs. Follow your vets instructions for mixing the dip.

Decontaminate the environment

Use bleach mixed at 1:10 on any surface that you can. It will kill 80% of the spores. Vacuum on a daily basis and dispose of vacuum bags which will contain the spores. Steam cleaning of carpets and furnishings will also kill a large number of the spores.

Don't forget your dogs bedding and kennel. Wash the kennel down with a bleach solution and wash the bedding in very hot water. If your dog is an inside dog confine him to one room of the house.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm also thinking ringworm, but please keep us posted after the vet visit

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
The spot is almost completely gone now. I kept her original appointment this upcoming Thursday. I will post what the vet has to say!
thx!! :)

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
This is a pic of a black fly bite
gyqe5a9y.jpg

Just learned about them while vacationing in Vermont...think nasty mosquito bite annoying but not life-threatening...in fact my bully never even tried to scratch it while the ones I have are driving me nuts...skin so soft diluted helped repel the nasty little flies once I was smart enough to put it on us before heading outdoors...feel better soon

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] That could explain why it's pretty much disappeared now. I had put some polysporen on it when I first noticed it. Skin So Soft - gots to get us some!
Thx :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is a pic of a black fly bite
gyqe5a9y.jpg

Just learned about them while vacationing in Vermont...think nasty mosquito bite annoying but not life-threatening...in fact my bully never even tried to scratch it while the ones I have are driving me nuts...skin so soft diluted helped repel the nasty little flies once I was smart enough to put it on us before heading outdoors...feel better soon

Awesome rhank you for sharing that with us! I love it here, I learn something new everyday!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Just an update. The spot disappeared after 4 days. The vet said it was likely a black fly bite. Good to know :) so many things to worry about :eek:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.