Thread: Choking, coughing

Country
    Brasil
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Madame
    Likes (Received)

Default Choking, coughing

Hi,

Madame is 6 months old. Almost every day during the last week, when I got home at the end of the day and went play with her, she choked. It seems she has something in her throat that doesn't want to get out. As if she wanted to vomit and couldn t do it. It is really scary because she starts to cough repeatedly and I don't know if she is breathing normally. After 5, 10 min she calms down and then she is ready to play as if nothing happened.

I asked my vet about it, and he thinks each time she must have eaten something just before I got home and then started to run and play so the food (or whatever she swallowed) was still on her esophagus. But as it didn't happen once, but many times, I think it s hard to believe this is what really happened.

The kennel owner says she may be choking with her own salivation. He recommended trying not to play with her as soon as I get home, since it never happened when we go outside in the morning, or I play with her when I home during the day.

Has anybony seen it before?

thanks

Carol (and madame)

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member Bruno and Gidget's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gloria
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno & Gidget
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Choking, coughing

Hi there,

This sounds like it Madame might be reverse sneezing??? One of my bully's sounds like he's choking but I found out that he was reverse sneezing.

YouTube "reverse sneezing in dogs" and compare.

Quote Originally Posted by carol and madame View Post

Madame is 6 months old. Almost every day during the last week, when I got home at the end of the day and went play with her, she choked. It seems she has something in her throat that doesn't want to get out. As if she wanted to vomit and couldn t do it. It is really scary because she starts to cough repeatedly and I don't know if she is breathing normally. After 5, 10 min she calms down and then she is ready to play as if nothing happened.

I asked my vet about it, and he thinks each time she must have eaten something just before I got home and then started to run and play so the food (or whatever she swallowed) was still on her esophagus. But as it didn't happen once, but many times, I think it s hard to believe this is what really happened.

The kennel owner says she may be choking with her own salivation. He recommended trying not to play with her as soon as I get home, since it never happened when we go outside in the morning, or I play with her when I home during the day.

Has anybony seen it before?

thanks

Carol (and madame)

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno and Gidget View Post
    Hi there,

This sounds like it Madame might be reverse sneezing??? One of my bully's sounds like he's choking but I found out that he was reverse sneezing.

YouTube "reverse sneezing in dogs" and compare.
    I'm thinking you are right, and they do the reverse sneeze when pretty stimulated too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

agree with others.... could be revese sneeze, or just too much phelm build up and she is coughing to get it out
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I have no help..but wanted to Welcome you...and may I say...your English is just fine!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Does she ever cough up phlegm?? Also how is her breathing generally .. is it noisy and does she snore alot??

I am considering the possibility of an elongated palate.

Country
    Brasil
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Madame
    Likes (Received)

thank you all. I read about reverse sneeze and elongated palate in google, both seem to be possible causes. The number of times it happened had decreased so I m still watching to see what s next.
    Anyway, thank you!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by carol and madame View Post
    thank you all. I read about reverse sneeze and elongated palate in google, both seem to be possible causes. The number of times it happened had decreased so I m still watching to see what s next.
    Anyway, thank you!
    Did you YouTube reverse sneezing? Look at a video and you will know for sure if that is what it is, to set your mind at ease. Reverse sneezing is like a sneeze and with my pups seems to be seasonal only. If it is a pallet issue you should look into it further. To much or thick phlegm can be broken up by a squeeze of lemon juice also. I always have a bottle in the fridge for just in case.

Country
    Brasil
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Madame
    Likes (Received)

I ve just look at youtube for reverse sneezing and indeed it doesn t look like it. I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LXk0E which shows exactly what madame do. I think I will look for another vet and take this video with me.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i couldnt watch the video so im not sure what it is but i hope you get it worked out soon.

Remove Ads