Help Needed! Choking, coughing

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
Hi,

Madame is 6 months old. Almost every day during the last week, when I got home at the end of the day and went play with her, she choked. It seems she has something in her throat that doesn't want to get out. As if she wanted to vomit and couldn t do it. It is really scary because she starts to cough repeatedly and I don't know if she is breathing normally. After 5, 10 min she calms down and then she is ready to play as if nothing happened.

I asked my vet about it, and he thinks each time she must have eaten something just before I got home and then started to run and play so the food (or whatever she swallowed) was still on her esophagus. But as it didn't happen once, but many times, I think it s hard to believe this is what really happened.

The kennel owner says she may be choking with her own salivation. He recommended trying not to play with her as soon as I get home, since it never happened when we go outside in the morning, or I play with her when I home during the day.

Has anybony seen it before?

thanks

Carol (and madame)

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Hi there,

This sounds like it Madame might be reverse sneezing??? One of my bully's sounds like he's choking but I found out that he was reverse sneezing.

YouTube "reverse sneezing in dogs" and compare.

Madame is 6 months old. Almost every day during the last week, when I got home at the end of the day and went play with her, she choked. It seems she has something in her throat that doesn't want to get out. As if she wanted to vomit and couldn t do it. It is really scary because she starts to cough repeatedly and I don't know if she is breathing normally. After 5, 10 min she calms down and then she is ready to play as if nothing happened.

I asked my vet about it, and he thinks each time she must have eaten something just before I got home and then started to run and play so the food (or whatever she swallowed) was still on her esophagus. But as it didn't happen once, but many times, I think it s hard to believe this is what really happened.

The kennel owner says she may be choking with her own salivation. He recommended trying not to play with her as soon as I get home, since it never happened when we go outside in the morning, or I play with her when I home during the day.

Has anybony seen it before?

thanks

Carol (and madame)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi there,

This sounds like it Madame might be reverse sneezing??? One of my bully's sounds like he's choking but I found out that he was reverse sneezing.

YouTube "reverse sneezing in dogs" and compare.

I'm thinking you are right, and they do the reverse sneeze when pretty stimulated too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with others.... could be revese sneeze, or just too much phelm build up and she is coughing to get it out

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Does she ever cough up phlegm?? Also how is her breathing generally .. is it noisy and does she snore alot??

I am considering the possibility of an elongated palate.

OP
carol and madame

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
thank you all. I read about reverse sneeze and elongated palate in google, both seem to be possible causes. The number of times it happened had decreased so I m still watching to see what s next.
Anyway, thank you!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
thank you all. I read about reverse sneeze and elongated palate in google, both seem to be possible causes. The number of times it happened had decreased so I m still watching to see what s next.
Anyway, thank you!
Did you YouTube reverse sneezing? Look at a video and you will know for sure if that is what it is, to set your mind at ease. Reverse sneezing is like a sneeze and with my pups seems to be seasonal only. If it is a pallet issue you should look into it further. To much or thick phlegm can be broken up by a squeeze of lemon juice also. I always have a bottle in the fridge for just in case.

OP
carol and madame

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
I ve just look at youtube for reverse sneezing and indeed it doesn t look like it. I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LXk0E which shows exactly what madame do. I think I will look for another vet and take this video with me.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i couldnt watch the video so im not sure what it is but i hope you get it worked out soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online