Cat scratch in the face!

Denton

Mar 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mattie
I was taking Mattie out for her walk this afternoon at the apartment complex and she saw a cat under a car before I could. Mattie took off like a rocket, pulled the leash out of my hand, and dove under the car and the chase began. When I caught up to her, the cat was running up the stairs (towards and past me, away from Mattie) and Mattie was around the corner of the building sniffing around looking for what she lost. [She's great at 'come when called' but a cat negates any training apparently.]

I brought Mattie back home and noticed blood speckles all over the kitchen floor after she gulped down her water. After a closer look, I noticed the left side of her face was pretty scratched up. I don't know if it came from the cat (more than likely) or from banging against the cars and running through the hedges (very less likely).

I wiped down the scratches with Duoxo pads (yep, it stung a bit :/) but now she seems perfectly fine like nothing ever happened. The cat didn't look like a house cat - I was very thin and just plain rough looking. The hair looked pretty uneven. It gave me a big HISS and arched its back when it passed me and then took off.

I'm calling the vet first thing tomorrow to see if I can squeeze her in just to be safe, but if anybody has some advice I'm listening. Here are some pics:

20130620_195455.jpg20130620_195503.jpg20130620_195540.jpg20130620_195612.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh ya! We've had those! Personally, I don't blame the cats...keep it clean...I use peroxide and neosporin. Clean a few times a day. If it swells up..then a vet trip will be needed..but I've never had that happen!

Hope she is ok...do you think she learned a lesson?? :hmm: Nope!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As a momma with 2 bullies and 2 kitties, we've had a few run-ins but as long as you keep the scratch clean while it heals, it should not be an issue, especially since it looks fairly superficial.

Hope your bully is better soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd wash the area with peroxide and then keep it clean, maybe some Neosporin too

Mattie probably had a blast... not much fun for Momma and the kitty, but Mattie -- looks very happy with herself

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above, treat it as you would treat a cut on your own skin. She does look like she had fun :lmao:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8329]Denton[/MENTION] Mattie is a BEAUTY!! :havemyheart:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone's advice above. Clean the scratch, keep it clean, put Polysporin on it. It wil heal quick. My neighbour has two Siamese cats that she walks around the neighbourhood on a leash, and last summer I had Bulldozer and Blossom out and of course whenever Dozer sees these cats, he has to gravitate to them and want to play, he seems to think anything that moves is his friend. The cats always raise the hairs on their backs, and give a hiss, the one cat will just back away, but the other cat swats at my Dozer. I pulled Dozer away, but my neighbour insisted that they meet each other, and that they would either get along , or Dozer would get scratched just once, and then wouldn't go near her cat again. :mad: Before I could say anything or take Dozer out of the situation, her cat swatted Dozer in his nose area. He yipped and backed off, and was shaking his head, and wiping his face with his paw. There wasn't any blood, but there was a scratch, my neighbour just laughed it off, and I took Dozer home and cleaned the scratch with peroxide and then put some Polysporin on it and it healed. Did he learn his lesson? NO. Lol. But we haven't been around the cats since then.

My only concern is if the cat is a stray, which it sounds like from the description you gave, and since you don't know the cat or where it came from you can't be sure if its up to date on vaccinations or not. I knew the neighbour and the cats, and know that they had all their vaccinations. You could just give your vet a call and ask if there is anything you should be watching for, or if there is any risk of any diseases from the cat, just in case.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm just going to repeat what [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have already said .... hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on the wounds. Then came an eye on it for any possible infection.

If Mattie is all up to date on her vaccinations then you should be fine!!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Mattie looks like she is proudly showing off her battle scars. I would love to hear her side of the story. I bet she won the fight.

OP
Denton

Denton

Mar 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mattie
Hate to revive a dead thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the advice. She's doing fine now. After a few days, it was like it never happened.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hate to revive a dead thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the advice. She's doing fine now. After a few days, it was like it never happened.

Nonsense! Love knowing Mattie is good to go, gotta love THAT cute face!
​Thank you for letting us know & GOD bless!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon

No need to apologize at all, hearing the final outcome is always extremely helpful so we all know for the future. Glad Mattie healed up okay.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.