Experience with ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet URINARY UC

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience with Royal Canin's Veterinary Diet Urinary UC dry kibble? Miss Muffin has urate stones and this is what multiple vets recommended.

I've been in contact with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION], who has been invaluable and wonderful, but would love to hear anyone's personal experiences with this food.

Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't have any experience, but I do want to add that there are certain times these diets can help-- but usually only for short term and can sometimes come with a price, as in allergy reactions to the food, as long as you are aware of these then it does make it easier to try it out, knowing what the possiblities may be.

I also want to point out that a vet will likely recommend these foods to anyone who brings their pet in for a UTI-- regardless of severity. So when, my question, is it TRULEY needed? There certainly are times, but know when is the hard part.
[MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] just went through UTI and stones so maybe she can give you more insight.

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My 14 month old ebd has had multible UTI's and was put on Royal Canine urinary SO ( I don't know if its the same thing) back a week and a half ago. He LOVES it compared to his Fromm's 4 star but I had to bring him back to the vets the day before yesterday because he needed surgery because he was obstructed with stones. He made it thru the surgery fine yesterday and spent his second night there last night.. I am hoping to pick him up today. They want him to be eating before he comes home.. I am anxious to see him..

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
@QT221 My Bertha BAcon just went through quite a hard time recently. I will share with you what I know and learned from my vet, who is THE bulldog vet on this side of Washington State. Bertha had a uti for about a month in dec-jan since it was intermingled with her first heat. WE had to give her 2 rounds of antibiotics (that is normal) to clear it up. All looked good until she started to urinate spontaneously, usually on my bed, lol. I took her back to the vet thinking it was a uti but the labs were negative. However, my vet completed an ultrasound and found polyps on her bladder, developed from the initial uti. She had to have surgery and the day of surgery they found stones. We waited for the results of the stones to determine care. My vet said , if they were uric acid(similiar to gout in people) then he would put her on allopurinol and change her diet to the prescribed food "probably for life" since it was a organic cause versus bacterial. Uric acid stones are common genetic problems in bulldogs and dalmations, I learned. I was lucky enough to have her stones come back as Struvite (bacterial in nature) and that we wil just perform frequent UA's. I would talk to @RiiSi about alternatives to prescribed food, such as low protein diet .I would also invest in a PH monitor or get strips to monitor her Ph closely. I hope this helps. I did find some fascinating sites on the web when entering "bulldogs and uric stones." The dalmation site was really interesting and clarified alot of questions. I hope this helps

[MENTION=6590]KT221[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My 14 month old ebd has had multible UTI's and was put on Royal Canine urinary SO ( I don't know if its the same thing) back a week and a half ago. He LOVES it compared to his Fromm's 4 star but I had to bring him back to the vets the day before yesterday because he needed surgery because he was obstructed with stones. He made it thru the surgery fine yesterday and spent his second night there last night.. I am hoping to pick him up today. They want him to be eating before he comes home.. I am anxious to see him..

I hope he is doing ok..poor baby!

OP
KT221

KT221

Oct 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Muffin (nickname: "pig", "my baked good")
Thanks to everyone for the input. Miss Muffin had 90% urate stones and 10% struvite stones removed from her bladder. @RiiSi has been amazing with advice in dealing with the urate stones. I have been doing a ton of research regarding purines in food, etc., am using a digital pH meter and am trying a limited ingredient diet with Miss Muffin right now. Just trying to explore future options in case this one doesn't work. Thank you so much, again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks to everyone for the input. Miss Muffin had 90% urate stones and 10% struvite stones removed from her bladder. @RiiSi has been amazing with advice in dealing with the urate stones. I have been doing a ton of research regarding purines in food, etc., am using a digital pH meter and am trying a limited ingredient diet with Miss Muffin right now. Just trying to explore future options in case this one doesn't work. Thank you so much, again!

Good to hear they are removed and hope you can keep her stone free with a good diet. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is fantastic Good luck with everything and keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.