Reaction to Vaccines

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
This is my first post so please forgive me if I donā€™t follow protocol appropriately.
My Daisy Mae is now 4 months old and last week received her 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] set of shots which included Distemper/Parvo vaccines. Within an hour of getting the injection, she collapsed. Her tongue was white and she could hardly breathe. Needless to say I rushed her back to the vet. On the way she began to vomit blood. The vet said she had anaphylactic shock. They gave her epinephrine, Benadryl & IV fluids. They stabilized her so I could transport her to the all night emergency vet. On the way there (45 minutes away!) she was no longer stable and again started vomiting blood and gasping for breath. Emergency vet said it had attacked her lungs and they were swollen and bleeding. They said it was the worst case of a reaction to vaccines theyā€™d ever seen & didnā€™t expect her to recover. I even said my goodbyes to my sweet little girl.
After 3 days of ICU & more epinephrine, Benadryl , IV fluids, oxygen & heroic efforts of hospital staff, they finally gave me the news that she would live. She seems to be recovering well and is almost herself again. Vet doesnā€™t know yet if she will have lasting lung problems from this. They have also told me she will never again be able to receive ANY vaccines. That means we wonā€™t be able to socialize the way I had hoped when I got her because she is not fully vaccinated, but at least she is alive and happy.
Remember to make sure you watch your dogs carefully after vaccines just in case even if they have had that vaccine before.

Pics of her in ICU & then feeling better.
Daisy ICU.JPGDaisy ICU2.jpgDaisy2.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so, so sorry for such terror and sorrow...and so very thankful Daisy Mae
survived...what a fighter! Again, the great heart of a bully...awesome!!

Welcome to EBN, so glad you've joined us and please let us know Daisy Mae's
progress...with plenty of pics, she is such a beautiful bully. GOD bless!

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
sorry to hear what happened to your precious daisy.........hugssssssss so glad to hear she is feeling better!

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I'm so sorry you and Daisy Mae had to go through that. I'm glad she is recovering and feeling better!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I had a similar, but not as severe a reaction, with Dudley. Within about 1/2 an hour of getting home from the vet's, he had hives all over his little body! I ran to drugstore to get Benadryl, by the time I got back, he had vomited - no blood - and was swelling up before my eyes. I got the Benadryl into him and raced to emergency vet. That was the key...getting the Benadryl in him! He was only there a few hours and was fine in a couple of days. I was scared to death. no more Parvo for him. I watch him like a hawk when he gets his shots! best of luck with your wonderful baby!

Lfish82917

Feb 27, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Artie
Don't give up. My baby had horrible reactions to the vaccines as well. Each time he had his shots he got sicker and sicker. At two months old he had such a bad reaction that he passed out and aspirated on his vomit. As a result of that he got pneumonia. This was tramitizing for us but I am sure nothing as awful as what you experienced. I changed his veternian and found someone who specializes in English Bulldogs. I drive and hour away each time he needs to see the vet. I am not sure where you are from but I see Dr. Navin in Lockport Illinios. He is great. He see more than 2300 bullies a month. He is great. My little guy will be a year old next week and we couldn't be happier.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... what a horrible ordeal. So happy she is doing well and back home with you. Thank you for sharing this information.

big bully hug to you and Daisy Mae

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my.... I am so glad she pulled through and I pray that there is no more future effects on her lungs.

Since she received 3 sets of vaccinations it is highly possible she is completely protected against parvo. You can get a tetiter test done to see if she is.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
IPickedADaisy

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't give up. My baby had horrible reactions to the vaccines as well. Each time he had his shots he got sicker and sicker. At two months old he had such a bad reaction that he passed out and aspirated on his vomit. As a result of that he got pneumonia. This was tramitizing for us but I am sure nothing as awful as what you experienced. I changed his veternian and found someone who specializes in English Bulldogs. I drive and hour away each time he needs to see the vet. I am not sure where you are from but I see Dr. Navin in Lockport Illinios. He is great. He see more than 2300 bullies a month. He is great. My little guy will be a year old next week and we couldn't be happier.

I'm in California so I think a trip to Illinois for vet visits might just be a little too far for me. I will take your advice & see if I can find a local vet that specializes in bulldogs. Thanks for your help.

OP
IPickedADaisy

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks to all of you for the well wishes and suggestions. She seems to be back to her playful self now so hopefully no lasting effects. I've got Benadryl on hand now just in case. And I certainly will ask for the tetiter test.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.