Help Needed! perineal urethrostomy ?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. What a nightmare it has been since I had Buddy neutered. He was neutered 2 weeks ago yesterday. After a few days I called the vet because he was having a hard time peeing and leaking, I brought him in and she said he had another UTI. More clavamox and then it didn't go away so when it was time to have his sutchers removed she did another urinalysis and the bacteria was gone but he has crystals and put him on more clavamox and royal canine urinary so diet.. Today after I got home Buddy had been in his crate 5 hours and when I took him out I bent down each time he squatted ( every 5 feet) and I could see his urine was just dripping out.. No stream at all. Also when he tried to go number 2.. Nothing. Well I called her and told her I thought he had a blockage and she said bring him in. She asked me if I wanted x rays and I said well if it was your dog would you do them and she said yes.. Well after an hour she came back and said Buddy was obstructed. 3 Vets tried to catheterize him and none of them could get it and he needed a surgery called perineal urethrostomy. Where now he will not be urinating thru his penis anymore but between what is left of his testicle sack and his penis. He stayed there tonight and is scheduled for surgery tomorrow, If anyone has had this operation with their ebd I would appreciate hearing anything regarding this . Thanks everyone

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that Buddy had a rough time. I don't have any answers for you but I'll tag some members and hopefully they can or will no who can. :hug: to you and Buddy.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Is the stent going to be temporary while the urethra heals?

Last edited:

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
My first boy bully had this done. He had surgery for bladder stones 2x and finally they decided to do that when they cane back a third time. He was 8 years old when he had the procedure done. The healing takes a little while and for us it looked very scary. There are alot of blood vessels in that area and he bled ALOT even after he came home. That was the hardest part. The vet told me not to worry, however it was so hard to see my baby go thru that. After he healed he never had another problem. He just went potty like a girl after that. i would make sure it stayed clean and that was pretty much it. The opening was large enough to pass stones and he was healthy until he passed away at the age of 13 on New Years Day 2012. I was very glad we did that for him because everything the stones put him thru repeatedly was so much worse. That surgery helped him have a happy healthy life. I am very lucky to have a wonderful vet that I completely trust also. I miss my baby boy so much every day. He handled it all wonderfully.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thank you everyone, I have had 3 hours sleep after getting home from the vets last night.. After hearing this Heather I do not feel alone and hope this will help him. It has been one thing after another for Buddy.. He is such a sweet dog. and Thank god for health insurance I don't what I would do without it.. Thanks everyone.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
First of all, [MENTION=5559]HeatherTaylor[/MENTION] - THIRTEEN? FABULOUS!!! I want to be one of those folks that have old, old, white whiskered EBs like your boy. :heart:
[MENTION=5372]hero4u[/MENTION] - I'm so glad Heather responded. I have no idea what all this was but I was sitting here at my computer, mouth a-gape, heart in throat reading each post. So glad to hear that this procedure will end all of Buddy's potty troubles! I know you must be relieved. Whew.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thank you. Buddy is 14 months old now almost 15 months and it has been one thing after another. Parvo.. UTI's Demodex mange ect, I am just hoping after this we can have some time without any more health issues. I thought I did my homework reading all I could before getting Buddy and looking for a reputable breeder but I guess it is just the luck of the draw weather one gets lucky or not.. Again Thanks everyone

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I am so sorry to heart that Buddy is having such a hard time! I hope that he heals quickly and that this is the end of his health issues.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Please keep us updated, thinking of you and Buddy - and you're right, it is luck of the drawer...while I havent had the same issues - I have had quite a lot $4000.00 worth and THANK GOD for insurance.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. He is to have his surgery early this afternoon and I am praying everything goes fine for Buddy. I am sure it will they are state of the art where I bring him so- but anyways Thanks everyone

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Good luck to Buddy. I am praying for him today. I've been contemplating neutering Chumley but after hearing what poor Buddy is going through I think Ive made my decision. Please let us know how hes doing later!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this, but send you prayers and postive thoughts for a safe and succesful procedure. :hug: to your sweet boy

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We will keep him in our prayers and hoping for a quick recovery. I sure hope this is it for him and him health problems.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Please keep us updated. You are in our thoughts!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry to hear about all the troubles Buddy is going through. You made the right decision to take him in like that. Praying it all work out and he will be a happy healthy Bulldog really soon. :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.