Blood in the Tail Pocket?????

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So today is clean up day, all bedding washed, ears flushed, face washed, nails done and then....cleaned tail pocket. When I am in there digging with a non scented baby wipe with witch hazel on it, I brought out fresh red blood :eek:. I have to put Vegas down and hold him to get his pocket. For the first time EVER he tried to actually bite me, if he could have gotten a hold of me I think he would have. After it was done and all cleaned out of course he got a treat and all was good. But I am scared and wondering where the blood came from????? It was bright red, not old blood, but scared the crap out of me. ANYONE else get blood when cleaning the tail pocket??

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Wondering if my nails did something to him????? Vegas was obviously in pain and acted out, he has NEVER tried to bite me in his life. This time he meant business.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Kelly, Finn had a problem in the past with bright red blood after I wiped him. He doesn't really have a tail pocket tho and the blood seemed to come from the anus. He had a teeny sore in the area which I think i aggravated upon wiping which may have been the cause of the blood. The vet couldn't find anything else wrong after checking him out. He's had some pinkish blood in the past upon wiping as well so I need to watch him closely. Not sure if it's b/c he strains when he goes #2. Is Vegas having any probs going #2?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Wanted to add that Tate also had a sore in his tail pocket as well which drew blood. I had to peek into the tail pocket for him since his is a little deep. So, check for an abrasion w/Vegas as he may have that as well. I just put some antibiotic cream and kept that as clean as possible and it eventually healed.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wondering if our nail could have scratched him. Hope he heals fast.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], Im thinking it was from the anus, because it had :poo: on the wipe, I have not noticed any problems with him going :poo:, no struggeling or runny. Just hard firm poo's. I was so surprised by the wipe and the fact that he truly tried to bite me I just don't know, I was more shocked at the trying to bite and he meant it, BUT I also know he was in pain so I am justifying it. NEVER, EVER has he tried to bite,, so it must have been very painful. He has acted OK all day now, and back to his loving, needy self, he has been up my butt all day!!!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Wondering if our nail could have scratched him. Hope he heals fast.

Davidh,. that is what I am kind of thinking, I think I hurt him, my nails are medium length and I am thinking I might have hurt him :confused:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
So today is clean up day, all bedding washed, ears flushed, face washed, nails done and then....cleaned tail pocket. When I am in there digging with a non scented baby wipe with witch hazel on it, I brought out fresh red blood :eek:. I have to put Vegas down and hold him to get his pocket. For the first time EVER he tried to actually bite me, if he could have gotten a hold of me I think he would have. After it was done and all cleaned out of course he got a treat and all was good. But I am scared and wondering where the blood came from????? It was bright red, not old blood, but scared the crap out of me. ANYONE else get blood when cleaning the tail pocket??

I'm wondering if he had a scab around his tail pocket, and if the liquid dissolved it enough to allow fresh red blood to seep out? I mean we all know what old dry blood looks like, Thinking I would work to eliminate what it could have been down to what it is…. This is sounding sneery to me, until you find the source, and if the solution was like alcohol or peroxide, no wonder he almost bit you.

KMarino, when I worked in Law Enforcement, one thing I can tell you, an injured animal that is hurt, will bite you quicker than anything else, So many calls I had gotten, Pets hit by cars, Bicycles, motorcycles, or even injured themselves in the many ways, My job was to serve and protect, and many times the family needed to get a Pet to the Animal Hospital for treatment, and the Beloved Pet refused to allow anyone around it. It was heartbreaking to the family to stand there and cry, knowing the Pet Needed Emergency treatment, and no one could get near the pet. Other than this, Pet Owner were pretty much on the mark with judging there Pets….. Not that your Pet is in need of Emergency treatment, But my point is just, When an Pet is hurt or cornered, There at their most likely to do something totally unpredictable. Please let us know what you find…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] -- this sometimes happens when I wipe Banks' tail... I think it is from dried hair or caked gunt... you wipe and pull that off, so to say, and it causes a little cut/break in the skin

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Possibly had a large :poo: and a blood vessel was popped in the process? I've heard of it happening with a couple of cats that my family has owned and would imagine it could happen with a dog. Just another option that might be the culprit.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if its just one time i wouldnt worry but i would try to do him again in the am and see if it happens again. he may have had a scab that you ripped off or something. its prolly gonna be ok.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I took my Mable to the vet once when, cleaning under her tail (she had no pocket - Like Bo) I saw blood on the babywipe. I freaked. It was clear from her behavior that it was sore. I was a new EB person then and had NO IDEA the path I was about to embark upon....LOL Anyway, turns out, it was dry and cracked under there. Ouch. Bo's tail care includes frequent wipes (ok, scrubbin') with the baby wipe under there (One and Done, Huggies Cucumber and Aloe) and either Desitin or Hydrocortisone cream in the area where tail meets bottom.

Bea's cavernous tail pocket (I swear, I hear an echo when I speak into it) is another post all together. LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online